DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· AllStar
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, this number is practically a new number. My old number I had for 7 years(i'm 24), I got it changed, because of all the telemarketing calls, and collectors. I got this new number about the end of June. No one virtually has this number, except for a few friends, and 2 family members, and EarthLink (DSL), and DirecTV.

Now, this afternoon, I get a damn call, telling me they are conducting a survey for DirecTV customers...... WTF?

So, the 1st question she asks me is: "Did you just have DirecTV installed?" (Now, being that I used to do the SAME type of work, and I knew that that question was an "introduction" question to determine whether the computer she was reading from would continue with the survey or NOT.) I replied... "No, I had Cable installed." Don't you know what the she did? She said Hnnngh( in a pissed off voice), and Hung up.....:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I got you DirecTV!!!!!! Don't call my Apt. again with that junk!

· Damn you woman!
5,205 Posts
Maybe they wanted to make sure your installer did a good job? Why is that so bad. I'd be glad that a company called to make sure the installation went well. What all the rage? :shrug: Its just DirecTV making sure you are happy.

· AllStar
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No that's not what the call was, because she did not state that at the beginning of the call. She said specifically it was a survey! I don't do surveys of any kind on the phone anymore.

All she had to say was.. "Hi, this is xxxxx, and I'm calling to make sure your recent DirecTV installation went ok, or whatever. There should be no mention of "Survey" in that.

I was enraged, because I did not give my # to be called for surveys. I don't have my receiver hooked up to a phone line, because I will never buy PPV from the remote. I have DSL, and I will go online and do my ordering.

I don't mind calls wanting to make sure installation and stuff went ok, and if i had any concerns. But, when you start calling my home less than a week after I got the damn service, talking about "Survey"... the buck stops HERE!

I don't wanna sound angry, just t'd off.....lol I'm kool tho.

I just called to opt out of any telephone/mail contact from them whatsoever.

JE :D :D see

· Damn you woman!
5,205 Posts
OK, but when I moved they called me to make sure my installation went well. I'm sure that was what it was about. Either way, if you scheduled service, they have a right to know how it went especially if they used a contractor to do the installation. Its for your own protection. I had some trouble with the installation and they gave me a discount to make me happy. I was glad they called. I guess its just a different attitude about the whole thing.

Now if DirecTV called to take a survey about how I felt about broadband, then I might take issue with that, but if the survey was about how my installation went, I see no problem and I'm glad they do that. Otherwise how would they rate their installers?

· AllStar
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
James, plz understnd me. I would love for them to call about the installation, so I can tell them what a wonderful job the 2 wonderful brothers did for me. I would have even called DTV if I had their names and where they were from, to tell them that they hooked me up wonderfully. :) But remember, that word Survey is not welcome here...

I know how it feels to be on the surveyists end. I used to do the Job. ...lol

· Damn you woman!
5,205 Posts
Fine, maybe they shoudn't have used the word survey, but we'll never know what the call was about since you knocked them off after the first question. I know its in your rights to do so, but I wanted to make it clear that was probably what the call was about. But I wasn't on the phone, you were, so I'm just guessing. Either way its no bid deal unless you were rude, which it doesn't seem like you were.

· Hall Of Fame
7,510 Posts
I'm with Gemini365i - I didn't get a phone to get unsolicited calls from telemarketeers, salespeople, or surveys. And I AM rude to them - on purpose - give them the impression that I do NOT want them to call. I just about always ask "Put me on your "do not call list"".

· Banned
11,498 Posts
NY has a offical 'Don Not call' list. If telemarketers call and you are on the list, you can report them, there will be big fines in store, for the firm.

· Damn you woman!
5,205 Posts
So how do you know this call was "unsolicited"? Its just DirecTV calling to make sure that the install went well. Look, I don't answer the phone unless I know who is calling (caller id) so I know what we are talking about here. The issue is does DirecTV have the right to call Gemini365i to find out if the installation went well. I believe they have the right. Anyway if DirecTV calls using their own database, I don't believe its against the law. If they sell the list, then they can be fined. Its a fine line, but its their right to "check" on the quality of the service by a survey. Now if DirecTV calls and asks what the sub thinks about internet service OR sells their list to AOL, then they should be fined. If their survey is about the quality of the service, I'm sure that there isn't a law against that. We are talking surveys here, not telemarketing. Two different things in my book. I don't think its against the law to ask questions for a survey.

Now if Gemini365i asks DirecTV to take him off their list and he still gets calls from DirecTV, then he has a case. But just hanging up on the person doesn't solve anything.

· Godfather
474 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Mehs
NY has a offical 'Don Not call' list. If telemarketers call and you are on the list, you can report them, there will be big fines in store, for the firm.
Is this only for La Cosa Nostra or are associates allowed to be on the list? And when you say big fines, do you really mean whacked? :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.