DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to install 1 Directv receiver and a dish, at my permanent camper. I don't travel at all, so I was going to mount a dish to the stub power pole. There is so much information that im not sure where to start. I was wondering if you guys could help me narrow it down. My camper is wired with cable so there is a splitter somewhere. I have 2 connections, but was not able to locate it. (Was in the cable business for 3 years, I was trying to find it for fun. No luck) So im not sure how that will effect the Sat signal.

In my house I have 2 H25's and 1 H24. All I was is standard def NO dvr.

Where do I start?

If I buy the equipment, will there be a contract for the box?
Ive read mix arguments about this. Im only at the camper 6 months out of the year.

Will I have to add another whole-room box (h24 or h25) because I have the service, or can I buy a cheaper box?

Do boxs still needed to be connected to a tele/data line like they used to? I no the whole-room boxs I have now are connected to the internet.

What Satellite dish/LNB will I need to buy?

· Legend
227 Posts
Well there is a minor glitch in your plan and if D* catches on you may have to add a separate subscription. The rules are that they "allow" you to take a receiver along with you, say in an RV, when you are traveling and not at home. But, if you have two receivers at separate locations where two separate people can be watching them at the same time, they want you to have a separate account for each location. Some just order the equipment and list it at the original address.

You will have to take an extension on your contract since they lease these receivers at a substantial discount and that triggers a contract extension. But, if you are happy with D*, what's the difference.

Since you will be using your home address there is no need for a phone line. They would assume you have that requirement filled on your current service. And they have become very flexible on that since more and more folks don't have land-line phones any more.

But, here is your rub if you want something simple. You need to purchase an SD receiver that is at least SWM compatible since they know you have a SWM system to support your H25s. A simple D12 will do. (And you can actually use it on your setup at home - with the addition of a band stop filter.)

Next you just need a simple 18" dish with a single LNB and enough RG6 to go from the dish to your receiver. It would be best to keep the splitters out of the line. There aren't that many places they can hide one in a camper so you should be able to find it and just replace it with a connector. That is all you really need to do.

Of course you will need to aim the dish and we can discuss the specifics of that later when you are ready to install it.

· Legend
227 Posts
If you get a used one, be sure to check with D* authorization personnel and see if it is truly an owned unit and can be reauthorized in your name. If so, there is a small charge for reauthorizing it. There have been a lot of posts regarding folks who are selling receivers that are not allowed to be owned and will not be reauthorized. You just have to be careful.

As for the dish, this one, or one like it would work. You can search ebay other other places for a better price. But, for just SD, simple is better.

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks for all the info. There is a classified local ad that is selling 5 directv recievers witht he dish for 75 bucks. He's gunna send me all the model numbers later tonight. I also need to find out if they can be reactivated.

Are the dish's limited or is it possible I could use his? He said its a dish with multiple LNBs on it.

Do people buy un-activatable box's?

What other box can I use beside the d12, since he said he had 3 different models?

· Legend
264 Posts
Unless the recievers are either a D11 or D12, I personnaly would stay away from them.

Why do you not just call dtv and add a SD reciever to your account?

By doing it this way you will recieve the correct reciever and as for the $$, you will still pay a monthly fee, and yes, if you buy from joexyz, you will still pay a monthly fee, AND a new card free, plus the price of the recievers.

Cheaper to call DTV.

Then go to solidsignal.com and look under DTV antennas, cost $80 to $200 depending on which one you get.

After installing the antenna, you can, depending on which one, and which reciever you have a home, just take a reciever with you.

Now you are only out the cost of the antenna.

· Registered
12,615 Posts

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

8 Posts
I have a DTV receiver in my house and one in my RV. If you currently have a DTV account, they will charge you a monthly fee for a second receiver ($5-I think). If you purchase receiver from someone, you should activate it with DTV. Could cost you a few bucks for a new card. I keep a spare 18" dish in the coach, and when needed i set it up on a pole, aim it to get signal, and watch TV. I keep my RV receiver on "vaction mode" so I don't get a monthly charge. When it will be used, I call DTV and they turn on the signal. Hope this helps.:):):)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.