DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have one hd dvr and one regular tv. I want to upgrade my regular to hd can I just use a multiswitch and run a new cable to the new receiver? or do I have to go back to the dish?
Thanks for the help

· Super Moderator
13,787 Posts
That would depend on which dish you have. Most likely you have to run to the dish.

Can you tell us which dish you've got.

Mike

· 1*
9,917 Posts
Maybe a little more info on your setup...

You have an HD-DVR connected to a HD TV, correct? Are you saying that you also have a SD receiver connected to a SD TV? Or are you saying that you want to add on a recevier to a TV that currently does not have one?

If all you want to do is replace the SD receiver with a HD receiver, you can just swap it out.

We really need some more info as to what your setup currently is and what you want to do.

- Merg

· Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have two dishes on my house one round standard dish that runs two tv's and one oval hd dish which runs a hd tv. When I added hd they just added a dish and never ran all my tv's through one new dish.
I want to replace one of the standard tv's with a hd tv. I am trying to avoid running cables from the dish but if that's the only way i don't have much choice. On my standard dish I have two wires running from the dish to a multi switch then four out to the two tv's just wasn't sure if I can do the same thing with the hd.
Thanks in advance for the help I realize these are real noob questions

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
Depends what kind of HD dish they installed. If it has a power supply inline between the HD box and the dish, then you probably can use it (by adding a green label splitter) to run the new HD set. If it has no power supply, and has 4 coax cables coming from the dish to the house, and you are using one or two of those cables for your current HD, then you can use one or two that are left for the new one.

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
btbeam said:
I don't think there is power wire to the dish. I would like to at some point add a third hd tv so what would be the best way to set this up so it's easier next time
Easiest way is just to order it from Directv and let them install it, seriously. Unless you are just a do it yourselfer, they have the tools, equipment, and can swap out your non-compatible boxes to newer compatibles ones. They can also swap out the LNB on your HD dish, so your system will be ready for whole home DVR, should that interest you now or later.

Adding a box is going to start a new two year commitment anyway, so you really dont have much to lose, unless they try to quote you some outrageous fee to do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.