DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Legend
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DirecTV install tommorrow what should I expect?

I will getting DirectTV installed tomorrow, this is a first for me for Sat coming from Cable TV. I have a couple questions.

What is considered good signal strength number from the satellite dish?

I am getting a HD-DVR and a standard DVR, are there two connections that go into each device for dual tuner?

What is the time frame to install? All together I am getting 4 boxes 1 HD-DVR 1 DVR and 2 Standard tuners.

Thanks

·
AllStar
85 Posts
time frame? what is a time frame!!! jajaja, just kidding, it may vary in what do you have already on your house, can be 30 minutes like can be 4 hours according to customer and tech's that i have speaked with.

good signal strength, anything above 70 is suposed to be a good signal strength, 90's is the usual. 100 just in front of the satellite i think.

HD-DVR and a standard DVR, are there two connections that go into each device for dual tuner
depends, if it is a swm(single wire multiswitch), if it is that way i dont know how that happens, and if it is a regular installation, well, there are 2 cables conected to each hd-dvr and dvr.

so far is what i know

·
Legend
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TheGreatLogan said:
time frame? what is a time frame!!! jajaja, just kidding, it may vary in what do you have already on your house, can be 30 minutes like can be 4 hours according to customer and tech's that i have speaked with.

good signal strength, anything above 70 is suposed to be a good signal strength, 90's is the usual. 100 just in front of the satellite i think.

depends, if it is a swm(single wire multiswitch), if it is that way i dont know how that happens, and if it is a regular installation, well, there are 2 cables conected to each hd-dvr and dvr.

so far is what i know
I have coax cable run from Comcast, and here is the list of equiptment that is going to be installed:

DirectTV 5-LNB Mutli Sat Dish
1 HD-DVR
1DVR
2 Standard Receivers
1 Multi-Switch KA6x8 (Is this the mutli switch you talk about that allows 1 single cable for dual tuners?)

·
Legend
124 Posts
They may end up needing to run new coax depending on what Comcast was using... Most often cable companies use cable grading that is less than RG6, which is D* spec right now. And with you getting a 6x8, that would mean they plan on running two cables for each DVR, one for each standard. The one that you've seen mentioned frequently is called a SWM or Single Wire Multiswitch.

·
Legend
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MrMojoJojo said:
They may end up needing to run new coax depending on what Comcast was using... Most often cable companies use cable grading that is less than RG6, which is D* spec right now. And with you getting a 6x8, that would mean they plan on running two cables for each DVR, one for each standard. The one that you've seen mentioned frequently is called a SWM or Single Wire Multiswitch.
Thanks Mr Mojo, I am new to the forum and new to Sat. I plan on asking plenty of question. DBStalk is a great site thanks.

·
Lifetime Achiever
10,839 Posts
rob316 said:
I have one more question concerning the DVR scheduler web, Will my DVR and HDDVR have the correct software installed for me to schedule recording via the web or do I need to downlaod it?
About 10 to 15 minutes after up and running it will reset itself and download the newest software which will allow you do use remote booking.

BTW :welcome_s to DBSTalk, rob316!

·
Legend
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Michael D'Angelo;1662533 said:
About 10 to 15 minutes after up and running it will reset itself and download the newest software which will allow you do use remote booking.

BTW :welcome_s to DBSTalk, rob316!
Do I need to plug the receiver into a phone line to do this or will it download via the sat dish?

·
Legend
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Michael D'Angelo;1662555 said:
No. When the installer finishes setting everything up he will call DIRECTV and active the receiver(s).
Thanks Mike you guys have been awesome answering all my questions. This forum is great. So the software for the DVR scheduler will automatically install kool.

·
Legend
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well just got D installed today and all I can say is wow. The installer came around 8:15 am and left around 12pm. The install went very well and he used my existing Comcast cabling which was RJ9(I made sure and asked him if the cable was good and he said it was RJ9). The picture is great and the HD looks very good. Coming from Comcast Hell and their crappy lineup D is awesome. I also tested the online scheduler and it worked like a champ. On a side note the new software dropped down to my HR21 box and installed perfectly. I am a D fan now.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,401 Posts
RG9 is a 51 ohm cable versus RG6 which is a 75 ohm cable. I suspect that the installer is wrong about the installed cable. RG9 is a little bigger than RG11 (10.7mm versus 10.5mm) which is considered large. It is used primarily in computer networking and occasionally in amateur radio.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if CATV started using cabling that was incompatible with DBS satellite.

·
Legend
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
harsh said:
RG9 is a 51 ohm cable versus RG6 which is a 75 ohm cable. I suspect that the installer is wrong about the installed cable. RG9 is a little bigger than RG11 (10.7mm versus 10.5mm) which is considered large. It is used primarily in computer networking and occasionally in amateur radio.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if CATV started using cabling that was incompatible with DBS satellite.
Thanks Harsh I might have gotten the numbers wrong on the cabling but he said it was compatiable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.