DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DIRECTV launches first dedicated cricket channel in US

El Segundo, California, Nov 21: DIRECTV, the leading provider of cricket programming in the United States, on Tuesday launched the nation's first 24-hour cricket channel dedicated to in-depth coverage of the sport.

Available exclusively on DIRECTV, Cricket Plus will showcase rebroadcasts and same day highlights of ICC events including the Cricket World Cup 2007, as well as cricket from the West Indies, Sri Lanka, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Zimbabwe. It will continue to broadcast matches live, on a pay-per-view basis, through its CricketTicket package.

Read the rest of the story at: Zeenews.com

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CerpinTaxt said:
Is this taking up bandwidth that could be used for national geographic or some other "mainstream" HD channel? If so, wow, what a waste!
Don't under estimate the number of people that watch Cricket.

Just because you don't watch it...

· AllStar
65 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

well the article said 5 million, but i doubt all of those fans have directv. do you seriously think more people want the cricket channel than national geographic (or some other network available in HD)?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CerpinTaxt said:
well the article said 5 million, but i doubt all of those fans have directv. do you seriously think more people want the cricket channel than national geographic (or some other network available in HD)?
I didn't say that... but considering there are only 1.5 million HD subscribers.....

All I know is that at the "hight" of the Cricket season... at my previous jobs, a lot of my co-workers, stayed up all night at bars and other establishments watching the matches.

· Legend
191 Posts
It makes sense for D*, if they can get even 1/2 million of those 5 million fans to switch to D*. I would watch at least some. More subs (for whatever reason) means less price increases, which benefits me.
Granted I would love to have NG-HD, but I can see the business sense as well. I have probably watched about 2-3 hours per month of NG and to be honest, doubt that I would watch much more in HD, other than tripping over shows while scanning the 70s.
Now if I were a fan of Cricket, it would motivate me to get D*. It just seems with the diversity of opinions on this forum, EVERY new channel announcement is going to met with "Well, great, but what about XYZ-HD, what a waste" from at least a few posters.
(I would never hold my breath for PBS-HD, the local PBS stations have way too much to lose if you aren't watching them directly. It could happen, but D* would have to compensate the locals a lot of money)

· Icon
748 Posts
cricket is an anthem for most of south asia, england,aussies and south africa....

3 cheers to directv for bringing this channel and that too without any additional cost.

Iam one of the thousands(if not millions) who would like to thank directv for this channel

· Icon
Dish Hopper 3, Dish Hopper Plus (sort of), Denon AVR-6500H HT receiver, Klipsch speaker system
730 Posts
Wow, yet another useless DTV channel. No offense to you Cricket fans out there, but I would really like to see DTV expand their national HD channels instead of continuing to add useless channels. I would say DTV could certainly lose a few shopping channels and I'm sure there area a few 400 channels that could go as well. Oh well, enough of my ranting. You folks have a great Thanksgiving Day!!!

· Legend
231 Posts
I am quite diappointed that this is only available as part of the Hindi Direct packages. I called D* to see if this channel is available a la carte, but it is not. I am one of the few Americans who has actually taken up the sport and subscribe to Cricket Ticket. Hindi programming does not interest me. I think this should be bundled with Cricket Ticket. I would think some of the other south asian folks buying packages other than Hindi language might want this, as well.

Does anyone on this board have a Hindi Direct package? Is Cricket Plus broadcast in Hindi or English? Just curious.

· Cool Member
14 Posts
The only reason I have DTV is for their cricket.

The reason why the Sat cos have cricket is because its a must have for the 10 M expats from a cricket playing nation in the US - and these are high-yield high-retention consumers.

If there was no money in it, there would be no broadcasts - and we would all be waiting for the cricket to buffer on Willow.tv.

... IMHO if you are giving bandwidth to the Grizzlies vs the Clippers, or the Oilers vs the Coyotes, or Coppin State vs Ball State (no offense Indianans) believe me you have space to cover international cricket... Wake up guys, its a global community now.

And do me a favor - stop whinging on about bandwidth for the never ending HD repeats of "Sunrise over the Tetons".

· Icon
3,719 Posts
i dont know if it was an error or what but, when i was fliping throught the channels yesterday i saw some of the games in the 100's and was able to view one channel. i think it was 117. and i never order this ticket or any thing.

· Legend
201 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

Earl, there may be quite a few people that enjoy this sport but I don't believe the numbers warrant dedicating a whole channel to. Wasting bandwidth right now when most people are screaming for more HD content is not a wise business decision on DirecTV part. Let's see Cricket ranks right up there with....let me think...Frog jumping contests! When are they getting their own dedicated channel? Can't these groups of small number fans just buy a ticket and go see the darn contest rather than sit back and wait for DTV to bring it to them in thier own living rooms. Come on, DTV is starting to get more prevalent with quanity rather than quality. I rather see them start addressing more serious issues like 1. Providing more HD channels #2 Making those HD Channels True 1080i or even better yet "Be The FIRST" to provide 1080P HD!!!! and Last Clean up these pathetic, over saturated, retransmitted local channels. My Sony SatHD-300 never looked as poorly doing the job as the HRHD-20700 looks. I can not understand how years of advances can make you go backwards in PQ.

· Legend
138 Posts
The only thing is this channel is on the International Satellite at 95 degrees. It will not affect any bandwidth for HD as D* does not use that sat for HD only for International channels.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.