DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it had been posted already (in DirecTV General Discussions though) .. but i figured some E* customers might not go to D* discussion often 'nuff to notice this.. So i decided to post it here:

----

DIRECTV Launches Nationwide Offer To Assist Dish Network Customers Who are Losing Broadcast Networks

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 29, 2006--In an effort to assist Dish Network customers who are losing their distant network channels, DIRECTV has launched a nationwide offer that will provide affected customers with $150 cash back when they make the transition to DIRECTV(1).

The offer also includes: no equipment to buy or start-up costs; free standard professional installation for up to four rooms; 100% digital picture and sound on every channel; and free DVR or HD receiver upgrade. DIRECTV has also launched a special web site (www.directv.com/switchfromdish) where Dish Network customers can simply type in their address or zip code to learn where DIRECTV offers local channels and whether they qualify for a distant network signal. Affected customers can also call 1-800-337-4DTV.

The special offer follows a U.S. Federal Appeals Court ruling that found EchoStar, which sells the Dish Network satellite TV service, has been violating federal laws in its broadcast practices. As a result, the Court stripped EchoStar of the right to transmit distant network channels, which are NBC, ABC, CBS, and Fox broadcast channels that originate from a market outside the community in which a subscriber lives. Last month a judge issued an injunction that will prevent EchoStar from offering the distant network channels after Dec. 1.

DIRECTV has been in compliance with the law and continues to offer distant network signals to its eligible customers, as well as local broadcast network-affiliated channels in 142 markets, serving 94% of the country.

"We recognize that Dish Network's violations of the law will leave some customers looking for options. Our goal is to minimize the burden for them," said Jon Gieselman, senior vice president, Advertising and Public Relations, DIRECTV, Inc. "That's why we have developed this unique service package to make switching convenient and affordable."

Virtually all affected customers will have access to at least two video providers who can deliver the network stations: DIRECTV and their local cable operator.

For more information on DIRECTV's offer, please visit www.directv.com/switchfromdish or call 1-800-337-4DTV.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite television service provider, presents the finest television experience available to more than 15.6 million customers through exclusive content, industry-leading customer service (which has surpassed cable for six years running) and superior technologies. Each day, DIRECTV subscribers enjoy over 250 channels of 100% digital picture and sound; exclusive programming and the most comprehensive collection of sports programming available anywhere including NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM), and MLB EXTRA INNINGS(TM). DIRECTV (NYSE: DTV) also leads the digital television technology revolution with exclusives such as NFL SUNDAY TICKET SuperFan(TM), US Open Interactive and YES Network Interactive and will soon have the capacity to offer over 150 channels in HD. DIRECTV is approximately 39 percent owned by News Corporation. For the most up-to-date information on the Company, please visit directv.com.

(1) Customers must provide a copy of their Dish Network bill along with their mail-in redemption form.

Robert Mercer, (310) 726-4683
[email protected]
Susan Eid, (202) 715-2412
[email protected]

SOURCE: DIRECTV, Inc. ( http://phoenix.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=936908&highlight= )

· Icon
702 Posts
Darkman said:
That is especially nice considering RuperT Murdoch and his minyons at News Corp cooked up problems and killed the deal that Dish Network already had with the NAB to solve the Distant Issue.

Now DirecTV is the only other provider that can sell Distant services Nationwide.

With all that said News Corp promised the Federal Government that they WOULD NOT use their Ownership of their Network (FOX) and other News Corp assets to damage their competition and or DBS subscribers.

Seems they reniged on their deal, but we all know Murdoch has friends in high places and that promise is or will be forgotten.

Many thanks to our Government for allowing a For Profit Company (DirecTV) to renig on its promise and use current DBS customers as a wedge to unfairly gain an advantage over their competition.

John

· Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
Nice of him to offer such a deal. Build up the customer base and sell it like the rumors are saying. Looked into it and doesn't do anyone any good that wants an HD DVR. Their are none available.

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
Conflicts of interest aside... from everything I have read about who does and does not qualify for distants... I think there will only be a small number of Dish subscribers who actually would be able to qualify if they moved to DirecTV... so in reality, there should be only a small portion of subscriber-loss from Dish over this.

Some others might defect on principle... but they won't get distants with DirecTV unless they qualify, so they might be in for a rude awakening if they don't check before moving over.

· Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
HDMe said:
I think there will only be a small number of Dish subscribers who actually would be able to qualify if they moved to DirecTV... so in reality, there should be only a small portion of subscriber-loss from Dish over this.
I agree to the small portion - especially "distant distants". People that would benefit from a switch to DirecTV would be RV'ers and several ENTIRE DMAS. DirecTV can give very few people out of DMA stations but they can give them an ABC/CBS/NBC where there is no affiliate in the DMA. Or DMAs where they lost a network due to Pappas. Those are the folks that will be hurting more than the people that lose NY networks but at least get all 4 networks. I'll miss the NY distants, but I was supposed to lose those on 1-Jan if the judge had accepted the settlement.

· Legend
163 Posts
HDMe said:
Conflicts of interest aside... from everything I have read about who does and does not qualify for distants... I think there will only be a small number of Dish subscribers who actually would be able to qualify if they moved to DirecTV... so in reality, there should be only a small portion of subscriber-loss from Dish over this.

Some others might defect on principle... but they won't get distants with DirecTV unless they qualify, so they might be in for a rude awakening if they don't check before moving over.
True...I NEVER intend on switching to Direct but I couldnt resist checking but NO Locals on Direct in my area. Directs QUALIFIER is as Big of a JOKE as Dish's !

· Hall Of Fame
1,095 Posts
saweetnesstrev said:
2 Words. Screw DirectTV
If everything is so great at Dish Network, don't worry about us happy people at DirecTV.

Just sit back and enjoy ALL of the football games you claim to have in your commercials....lol

· Icon
702 Posts
CABill said:
I agree to the small portion - especially "distant distants". People that would benefit from a switch to DirecTV would be RV'ers and several ENTIRE DMAS. DirecTV can give very few people out of DMA stations but they can give them an ABC/CBS/NBC where there is no affiliate in the DMA. Or DMAs where they lost a network due to Pappas. Those are the folks that will be hurting more than the people that lose NY networks but at least get all 4 networks. I'll miss the NY distants, but I was supposed to lose those on 1-Jan if the judge had accepted the settlement.
Bill,

Dish and Pappas, signed an agreement before their contract elapsed. Originally their contract was to expire on December 1st or second. Thursday (Yesterday) Dish announced a deal with Pappas.

John

· Cool Member
23 Posts
Blitz68 said:
If everything is so great at Dish Network, don't worry about us happy people at DirecTV.

Just sit back and enjoy ALL of the football games you claim to have in your commercials....lol
Actually, until 3 months ago, I had been with Directv since a year after they started. However, once Murdock bought them, I wanted to leave. I find FOX to be a joke and didn't want to support it by being a Directv customer. The final straw was the lack of HD programming on Directv and now, a DVR for HD that I like.
Since moving to Dish, everything is great. I really like the 622 DVR. I actually use it more for HD offair than the satellite for recording. Apparently, something Directv customers can't do with the new HD DVR yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.