DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a DTV sub for over 10 years. We used to get messages sent to the receiver announcing promotions like free MLB preview, etc. Have not seen this happen for years. A lot of us get the e-mail marketing from DTV though. Anyone know why they stopped doing this?

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
superman24 said:
Been a DTV sub for over 10 years. We used to get messages sent to the receiver announcing promotions like free MLB preview, etc. Have not seen this happen for years. A lot of us get the e-mail marketing from DTV though. Anyone know why they stopped doing this?
too many rcvrs and too complex to send it out to everyone/

· Registered
14,213 Posts
curt8403 said:
what if your power LED burns out. no flashing light, you do not know you have messages

and your rcvr cannot pay the message that AOL used "You've got mail"
Will the on-screen envelope icon also burn out? :)

There are multiple ways to let a customer know there's a message - the LED isn't the only one. DIRECTV certainly under-utilizes the messaging feature on the receivers ... and moving to banner ads is only going to aggravate more people, even if it helps them get the word out.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I found a message a couple of weeks ago. I think it had to do with the free trial access to the Game Lounge.

I wouldn't have seen it unless I had been playing around with the receiver.

· Registered
4,789 Posts
They are still sending them out, but they are kind of buried in the Caller ID screen. I know with my HR20-700s they are the last thing on the Caller ID/Message List. Recently I have seen ones for free Premium Previews and the one a few weeks ago for the Game Lounge.

They are still there, but just not as noticeable as they were with some of the previous receivers.

· Registered
4,789 Posts
superman24 said:
Do you know if they "self-expire". The older receivers I had we had to manually delete. I also have HR20-700's and have not seen them... so, maybe there are there but only for a limited time?
Mine go away after a while, if I don't delete them. Not sure on the time period though.

· Registered
31,115 Posts
Drew2k said:
Will the on-screen envelope icon also burn out? :)

There are multiple ways to let a customer know there's a message - the LED isn't the only one. DIRECTV certainly under-utilizes the messaging feature on the receivers ... and moving to banner ads is only going to aggravate more people, even if it helps them get the word out.
Yeah, I agree...I remember the good old days when....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.