Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DirecTV, NFL Network Going Deep
Source: http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6381162.html?display=Breaking+News

By Mike Reynolds 10/16/2006 12:04:00 AMDirecTV and NFL Network are planning a major marketing blitz for Time Warner Cable subscribers.

The direct-broadcast satellite service will team up with the 41 million-subscriber network to run a multimedia, multimillion-dollar ad campaign in four Time Warner and Comcast markets not carrying the National Football League's cable service.

The NFL Network ad blitz is part of an eight-market DirecTV acquisition campaign launched this past August targeted at siphoning subscribers in systems recently consolidated by Time Warner and Comcast.

DirecTV's cable-consolidation campaign -- which offers $150 rebates to subscribers ditching cable -- has already yielded double-digit subscriber-increase percentages, according to vice president of acquisition marketing Brad Bentley.

Beginning Thursday, DirecTV and NFL Network will run radio ads and place ad inserts in major newspapers within the Buffalo, N.Y.; Dallas; Cleveland; and Los Angeles markets touting the satellite company's carriage of the channel, which includes the network's eight-game Thursday and Saturday package.

Time Warner has yet to reach a carriage deal for NFL Network, saying that it wants to carry the service on a sports tier. NFL Network officials are demanding carriage on highly penetrated analog-basic tiers.

"We're just letting customers know that they do have a choice and we do carry the NFL Network," Bentley said. "They're not at the mercy of the cable company."

NFL Network's message will be combined with DirecTV's overall acquisition campaign that has been running in those markets since August. That campaign also includes the Washington, D.C.; West Palm Beach, Fla.; Colorado Springs, Colo.; and Minneapolis markets.

"We've seen a lot of movement and, now, they have added reason to switch because they're losing channels like NFL Network," Bentley said. "Historically, these transitions have not gone smoothly and work to our advantage, so we hope to continue to see good growth momentum."

Bentley would not speculate on whether operators will secure deals for NFL Network's Thursday/Saturday package before the first game Thanksgiving night.

NFL Network spokesman Seth Palansky said the network expects to get good traction from the campaigns. "Ultimately, we prefer to have deals with cable operators, but our obligation is to our fans," he added.

·
Legend
256 Posts
Seems that DirecTV is late to this. DishNet in Dallas area has been blitzing radio that they have NFL Network for a couple months now.

·
Godfather
325 Posts
Earl,

Just wondering if there is any chance that next month when the NFL Channel starts to broadcast Thursday night games, if D* will be able to simulcast the games in HD?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BlueSnake said:
Earl,

Just wondering if there is any chance that next month when the NFL Channel starts to broadcast Thursday night games, if D* will be able to simulcast the games in HD?
I haven't heard yet...

But I will try to find out.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
Tonedeaf said:
Seems that DirecTV is late to this. DishNet in Dallas area has been blitzing radio that they have NFL Network for a couple months now.
ETV is claming they have NFL every nite of the week and the most football, I think they are trying to look like the source for football leading people who do not know better to think they carry all the games like DTV does.

·
Hall Of Fame
12,971 Posts
Blitz68 said:
ETV is claming they have NFL every nite of the week and the most football, I think they are trying to look like the source for football leading people who do not know better to think they carry all the games like DTV does.
Hey, we all know that most ads are lies but the NFL Channel ads for Echostar are pretty over the top.

My respect for whatever Barber is in that commercial dropped like a stone.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gomezma1 said:
They should have a free NFL Ticket preview for one Sunday. What's the odds of that happening?
They did... the first week.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gomezma1 said:
I must of been on Mars because I missed it. Have they done this every year Earl?
I think they have.. at least as far back as I can remember.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
tonyd79 said:
Hey, we all know that most ads are lies but the NFL Channel ads for Echostar are pretty over the top.

My respect for whatever Barber is in that commercial dropped like a stone.
Agree 100%...and I'm a NY Giants fan.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
They did... the first week.
Including SuperFan HD games.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
gomezma1 said:
They should have a free NFL Ticket preview for one Sunday. What's the odds of that happening?
The first week of the season for any sports season package is always free on Dish, DirecTV and cable. The NHL CI and NBA LP packages also have mid season previews.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
Steve Mehs said:
The first week of the season for any sports season package is always free on Dish, DirecTV and cable. The NHL CI and NBA LP packages also have mid season previews.
MLBEI is free the Thursday-Sunday following the All Star Game.

·
Legend
207 Posts
bluevoyager said:
HEY DIRECTV PUT NFL NETWORK IN HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dah
Is there any chance of this happening before the new sats go up? Seems kinda silly that the exclusive distributor of Sunday Ticket doesn't have the NFL Net in HD.

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
aphoward said:
Is there any chance of this happening before the new sats go up? Seems kinda silly that the exclusive distributor of Sunday Ticket doesn't have the NFL Net in HD.
I think it's safe to bet that they will show the NFL Network games in HD. They have the capcity for more HD channels Monday-Saturday, the only reason they can't add more right now is because of NFLST. Since the NFL Networks games are on Thursday and Saturday, DirecTV easily has the capacity to show them in HD.

·
Hall Of Fame
12,971 Posts
I'm sure the games will be in HD (on 95).

I am surprised the game of the week isn't in HD on D* but that is bout all there is in HD on NFL Channel anyway. Very little actual HD going on there, so I don't care much.

·
Godfather
501 Posts
I don't think it will work as well as you would think. Believe it or not, there was an entire year of Yankees baseball not shown in a huge area of NJ and few people switched. The reason, we all knew they would strike a deal eventually. Just took a year. You will only miss 8 nfl games and the rest of the chanel isn't as good as Espn..

·
Mentor
34 Posts
tonyd79 said:
I'm sure the games will be in HD (on 95).

I am surprised the game of the week isn't in HD on D* but that is bout all there is in HD on NFL Channel anyway. Very little actual HD going on there, so I don't care much.
80% OF Sunday games are in HD with SuperFan.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.