DBSTalk Forum banner

DirecTV on Demand download speeds

6K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  veryoldschool 
I have a 12 mb DSL connection with Qwest. I am a software developer and often download very large files from Microsoft. They come down at close to 10 mb. When I run the internet speed test at speedtest.net it shows a download speed of about 9.5. So it is definitely possible to get much better than 1.2 to 1.7.

Downloading from Amazon\Unbox the Amazon software shows 7.6 mb.

My router does not have the realtime bandwith monitoring. You guys are making me jealous and I am considering getting a new router.

Downloading HD from D* it takes me about 2 hours to download 1 hour of programming. Does anyone know what the bit rate is on the downloaded HD video? I would think that it would be around 6 or 8 mb, so my connection should be able to download it at or near real-time. I don't think that D* servers can deliver it faster than 4-5 mb.

We used to have 7mb service and when we went to 12 I was looking forward to faster VOD, but the speed didn't change at all.

There is firmware available for some routers that can track download speeds. One is available at http://www.dd-wrt.com.

My experience is the same as mephisto reports. I have measured download speeds from directv of around 5-7mbit/sec.

My service is 12mbit. The speed tests show around 9-10, and from some sites I can download at over 11mbit. While monitoring downloads to my HR21-700 I have seen it peak at over 10mbit, but it won't sustain it.

The limit is on the D* side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.