DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Icon
Joined
·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there are any plans to expand the DirecTV OnDemand lineup? I'm seriously envious of the offerings available to friends who have Comcast.

Also, is it just me or is the new "Everywhere" service a joke? I was hoping to have full access to the OnDemand library, but it's a very small subset. And the big deal they are making over Viacom shows being added? Whoopee. I didn't miss the channels while they were gone, and I seriously doubt I'll ever want to watch anything they offer on the road.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,784 Posts
The term "everywhere" should not have been used at this point. It is very misleading and does nothing more than lead to unfulfilled expectations.

I suspect "everywhere" content will be added as contracts are redone (for example, sounds like it may be with the Viacom channels "In addition to the channels' return, DIRECTV customers will also gain the ability to see Viacom programming on tablets, laptops, handhelds and other personal devices via the DIRECTV Everywhere platform").
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,221 Posts
"raott" said:
The term "everywhere" should not have been used at this point. It is very misleading and does nothing more than lead to unfulfilled expectations.

I suspect "everywhere" content will be added as contracts are redone (for example, sounds like it may be with the Viacom channels "In addition to the channels' return, DIRECTV customers will also gain the ability to see Viacom programming on tablets, laptops, handhelds and other personal devices via the DIRECTV Everywhere platform").
Not that I watch any Viacom channel with any real regularity. But I said in the last day or so of the dispute this "TV Everywhere" holding things up was stupid that at least personally it does me no good since I can't watch it anywhere other than on the network in my home. I was told this would be changing as these contract renewals came up. If I am not able to take my IPad to the mall and watch Spike TV if I choose I don't want to hear about it being expanded to be able to watch LIVE programming outside the home again, nor see a network renewal agreement held up with this issue involved ever again.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,221 Posts
"rapidturtle" said:
Will we eventually be able to access our DVR's and watch live T.V. with this service? I thought that was coming this summer, but it sounds like the service is only going to be used for on demand content.
I doubt it, if you buy the Nomad you can have access of your DVR now. Not sure if it works for a tablet or not though. This was yet another gripe I had last week. When the bill went up, one of the things SR said was all these enhancements to our service aren't free. I understand that. However I also don't think it's fair to tell people they have to pay for YouTube, Pandora, TV Everywhere, etc when they don't use or want any of them, meanwhile they charge extra for the enhancements some of us do like. I have Whole Home and would love the nomad. Why is that not part of these feature enhancements we get "free" with our fee hikes?
 

· Icon
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
dervari said:
Does anyone know if there are any plans to expand the DirecTV OnDemand lineup? I'm seriously envious of the offerings available to friends who have Comcast.

Also, is it just me or is the new "Everywhere" service a joke? I was hoping to have full access to the OnDemand library, but it's a very small subset. And the big deal they are making over Viacom shows being added? Whoopee. I didn't miss the channels while they were gone, and I seriously doubt I'll ever want to watch anything they offer on the road.
I guess a lot of your statement is a matter of opinion. "Everywhere" is new so it is no surprise there isnt a lot of content yet. As they add content, not everything is going to appeal to everyone. I happen to want to see the Viacom addition.

That said, there definitely should be more content On Demand. One random episode of a show really does nothing for me.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
12,954 Posts
"GiantsFan383" said:
That is one thing that is lacking with satellite. On demand content is horrible,Cable kills them in this category. Dish is the better of the two in this category.
True. The two technologies are not very friendly.

But I would like to be able to download from a cable on demand. Trick play is very awkward on cable on demand.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
825 Posts
tonyd79 said:
True. The two technologies are not very friendly.

But I would like to be able to download from a cable on demand. Trick play is very awkward on cable on demand.
I don't mind the wait to download, but the selection (other then premium channels) is really lacking. Even the content they do have is most often not in HD.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
12,954 Posts
"Billzebub" said:
I don't mind the wait to download, but the selection (other then premium channels) is really lacking. Even the content they do have is most often not in HD.
It varies a lot. Right now they actually have more HBO than fios. But lacking for sure on network HD in particular.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,585 Posts
From what we have heard, yes DirecTV is working on building up their On-Demand offerings.

Also, DirecTV everywhere will be built up to allow more On-Demand and live channel streaming inside and outside of your home. It is just going to take a while because DirecTV has to buy servers, get them online, get the content put on them, updated thier apps, etc. They also have to have agreements with the channel providers to allow this. It definitely sounds like the new Viacom agreement included this access so those channels should be some of the first added once they get the stuff up and running.

As far as streaming stuff off your DVRs to your portable devices, I don't think that will ever happen, at least not anytime soon. You will have to choose from the stuff available on-demand or via live streaming. Otherwise you can use the Nomad to take your DVR recordings with you.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top