DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
I have to chime in with the whole loss-of-signal thing. I'll echo what others here have said - it has to be a mother of a storm outside for us to lose our signal. Cloud cover doesn't do it... torrential rain doesn't do it. Heck a couple years ago we had something like 15 - 20" of snow in one storm (love them Nor'easters), my dish had an inch of snow laying in it, and we never lost our picture. I was truly amazed - and it's a good thing, too, since, unless I'm able to fly I ain't getting anywhere near my dish, especially with snow all over the place.

I can understand the concern, though. Around here, I had Comcast before switching to DTV. I had a concern with that as well - I asked a coworker who had DTV and her response convinced me "when you lose your satellite signal, it's gone for a couple minutes while the worst of a storm blows through... but when you lose a cable signal it's gone sometimes for days." She was right - we'd just recently had a cable outage that lasted something like 30 hours. I also love the "scare" campaigns from the cable companies - Comcast had a number of them, including a testimonial by a guy who swore off the dish after he had a battle with a tree in his yard and lost (the tree blocked the line of sight of the dish - so he chopped off branches). He referred to it as his "tree of shame" because it was totally denuded when he was done. Which got me thinking - the only way that stick in the ground could possible block a satellite signal is if the dish is directly behind it!

They also did a creative one - a guy stands next to a satellite dish. The voice over went something like this "This is what can happen when it snows..." You see the guy toss "snow" at the dish (cut out paper confetti), and the tv picture wigged out. "This is what can happen when it rains..." The guy spritzes the dish with water from a spray-bottle. The picture wigs out. "This is what can happen when it gets windy..." The guy is holding one of those small battery-powered fans... and the picture wigs out. "And this is what can happen for no reason whatsoever..." The guy just stands around with his hands in his pockets, and (you guessed it) the picture wigs out.

I also have to echo what others have said about comparisons - look at the channels you care about. See which offers the most of those, for the price your looking for. Also realize that if your cable company is like Comcast, it ain't fully digital. All of the most popular channels are still in analog - I'm amazed when I go over to a someone's house and they have "digital" cable - they'll put on ESPN and it'll look like crap. As for me - I have a friend who swears my 27" Sony Standard Def TV looks better than his HD with Comcast. The picture quality on that TV is surreal with DTV.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
rebkell said:
As far as loss of signal with the satellite, It seems to be much worse during the summer months, it's been raining and storming like crazy here for the last few days and I haven't noticed any problems with the satellite. This summer I had a lot of problems, I've got to think it's related, it seems like during the winter months I hardly ever have problems, but when late spring and summer hit, I have a lot more outages.
I have to wonder if that has to do with the humidity. During the dog days of summer our signal strength drops a bit (e.g. a channel that comes in in the mid 90's most of the year will come in in the high 80's in august). Then again, we probably have something like 200% humidity in the air :) Still, it takes alot for us to lose our picture.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.