Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Switching from cable to satellite.

What's the best route, DirecTV or Dish Network?

Listing some reasons as to why would be super! Thanks a bunch!

·
DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
Da Rafsta said:

Well, since we're in teh DirecTV forum, most of us would probably say that!

But you first must ask yourself what you are looking for from programming to equipment to pricing to service, read both forums and make your decision.

·
AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slip Jigs said:
Well, since we're in teh DirecTV forum, most of us would probably say that!

But you first must ask yourself what you are looking for from programming to equipment to pricing to service, read both forums and make your decision.
Hmmm...well, looks like Dish might be slightly cheaper, not sure if that's true or not either....but I don't want to sacrifice quality. I don't know who offers better quality. Which is more user-friendly or better yet, has more convenient features?

Since most in this forum will be DirecTV subscribers, calling for a bit of biasness perhaps, then could you tell me why you opted for DirecTV or Dish....and also, why do you remain a DirecTV customer, not switching if Dish touts certain deals, having no effect or influence in your choice of provider?

·
DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
Da Rafsta said:
Hmmm...well, looks like Dish might be slightly cheaper, not sure if that's true or not either....but I don't want to sacrifice quality. I don't know who offers better quality. Which is more user-friendly or better yet, has more convenient features?

Since most in this forum will be DirecTV subscribers, calling for a bit of biasness perhaps, then could you tell me why you opted for DirecTV or Dish....and also, why do you remain a DirecTV customer, not switching if Dish touts certain deals, having no effect or influence in your choice of provider?
I actually signed up with Dish first - because it appeared a little cheaper, and I liked the multiroom setup, and the On-Demand programming. Whether any of it worked as stated, I don't know - because after a three week wait, my install was cancelled due to a lack of dishes. Yes that's right, they were out of dishes. I figured that was a bad precedent so I cancelled and came here.

They offered by just as good a deal programming-wise, so that was no longer an issue. That 's about all I have to compare tho.

·
AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slip Jigs said:
I actually signed up with Dish first - because it appeared a little cheaper, and I liked the multiroom setup, and the On-Demand programming. Whether any of it worked as stated, I don't know - because after a three week wait, my install was cancelled due to a lack of dishes. Yes that's right, they were out of dishes. I figured that was a bad precedent so I cancelled and came here.

They offered by just as good a deal programming-wise, so that was no longer an issue. That 's about all I have to compare tho.
HD not an issue for you? If it is, what have you heard in this regard? Who's leading the pack there, Dish or DTV?

·
Icon
628 Posts
Da Rafsta said:

Make a list of the channels you want. Do you want the most HD? Sports? Do you want locals in HD? Once you have figured out that, see what you have to pay to get those channels or even if they are available in a particular provider.

Equipment wise, I love my 622 from Dish but I never had Direct TV. I have a cable DVR and the 622 is much better. You can get one for $200 plus the monthly lease fee.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
Da Rafsta said:

I had Dish for about three years and have had Directv for about the same time. In my opinion, the programming and quality are comparable. If you want HD, Dish currently has more programming available, but Directv will have much more next year after new satellites are launched. I compared what I was paying for which channels I really watched vs. what I would pay after switching and what channels I would gain or lose by the switch. I found I could save a small amount per month and get a few channels I really wanted which were not available on Dish (altough Trio and Newsworld International both later went out of business :mad: ).

Other factors are such things as availability of locals and sports offerings, which are slightly different with each provider. The ability to see the various satellites from your location without interfering trees and buildings can be an important factor.

·
AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
koji68 said:
Make a list of the channels you want. Do you want the most HD? Sports? Do you want locals in HD? Once you have figured out that, see what you have to pay to get those channels or even if they are available in a particular provider.

Equipment wise, I love my 622 from Dish but I never had Direct TV. I have a cable DVR and the 622 is much better. You can get one for $200 plus the monthly lease fee.
Currently, I don't need the locals in HD. But when the time comes and do need it, who tends to offer them more in HD, Dish or DTV?

·
AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bobnielsen said:
I had Dish for about three years and have had Directv for about the same time. In my opinion, the programming and quality are comparable. If you want HD, Dish currently has more programming available, but Directv will have much more next year after new satellites are launched. I compared what I was paying for which channels I really watched vs. what I would pay after switching and what channels I would gain or lose by the switch. I found I could save a small amount per month and get a few channels I really wanted which were not available on Dish (altough Trio and Newsworld International both later went out of business :mad: ).

Other factors are such things as availability of locals and sports offerings, which are slightly different with each provider. The ability to see the various satellites from your location without interfering trees and buildings can be an important factor.
From your knowledge, who's more consistent in having local channels available, including...having them in HD?

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
Da Rafsta said:
From your knowledge, who's more consistent in having local channels available, including...having them in HD?
I think it is a tossup, but each has some cities which the other does not. Directv is currently rolling out a bunch of cities with HD locals. Unfortunately some stations are dragging their feet on signing up for this (especially those owned by Lin, Tribune and Sinclair). You really need to check the websites to see what is available in your area.

·
AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have another question. Say I want to buy a TiVo to use it with D*, could I just buy one at a retail store, use it with a D* subscription and there be no problems? The reason I ask that is because of some testimonials, saying that TiVo compared to DVR is like a Lexus compared to a 75 Pinto with the wheels falling off.

Thanks again!

·
Mentor
33 Posts
koji68 said:
For subscribers new to Dish network, ordering a 622, there is no monthly lease fee (at least under DHA).

Also, new subsribers getting a 622 (or 211) would be eligible for $200 in programming credits, effectively making the cost of the equipment free.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Da Rafsta said:
HD not an issue for you? If it is, what have you heard in this regard? Who's leading the pack there, Dish or DTV?
Da Rafsta,

I'll take a stab at this and put it in an easy outline for you.

Time with Dish Network = 3 years
Time with DirecTV = 3 weeks :)

Video Quality: Comparable

Audio Quality: Dish Network was more consistent channel for channel. The SD audio appeared better (through my HT rec) with Dish Network in my opinion.

Programming Selection: If you like Football, DTV is your choice, hands down!

HD National: If you want HD, Dish is probably a better choice in the short time. Although DTV has planned launches in early 2007 with promises of a 150 HD channel capacity (not even 150 HD networks in the US). Long term = DTV's HD plan / short term = Dish Network wins!

HD Locals: DTV is moving MUCH quicker then Dish Network in this area. Depends on your market whether or not this is important to you…

Price: Comparable. With Dish Network, by the time you add in locals and the package you want the price really ends up being within +/- a few $$$.

Hardware: I came from using a Dish 501 single tuner DVR to using DTV's new HR-20. Despite the bugs, the functionality of the HR-20 is far superior to the 501 but consider the Dish 501 is SEVERAL years old that's not saying much.

CSR: Dish Network treated me like crap after 3 years of service on an account that was not in a contract, I owned my equipment AND all I asked for was the "same deal" they give new customers. After NUMBEROUS calls, they told me they could NOT honor my request. One the day I disconnected and several times since they have contacted me offering the world. With DTV, I've contacted a CSR and she credited me $10 a month for 6 months. :)

Good luck to you. Hope this helps.

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
It's simple for me. I'm a Cowboys fan living in Packer country. I need NFL Sunday Ticket if I want to watch my team without going to the bars. Only one company carries Sunday Ticket.

I've been a customer of D* since '96. I've been very happy in general, especially when I compare it to my neighbors with Time Warner Cable. I've debated about going with E* in years past just to change it up and to get some free equipment, but once I grew tired of going to the bars on Sundays to watch the games and I started getting NFLST, I can't go anywhere.

·
5 Posts
not trying to hijak the thread but i'm in the same place as the original poster. going to switch from cable to sat. just trying to decide which one. i find that Dish offers my locals but not in HD. DTV web site just loops back around and doesnt provide any info. antennaweb.org says i cant get but a few channels because of my location and they arent HD. what i plan on doing is getting the channel list from both services most expensive packages and narrow down any channel differences then decide who has one i cant live without. would really like locals in HD though. how can i find out if DTV has them available to me? also, how would i find a local installer? realy dont want to use one of those companies that bombard my mailbox with fliers.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
strutter said:
not trying to hijak the thread but i'm in the same place as the original poster. going to switch from cable to sat. just trying to decide which one. i find that Dish offers my locals but not in HD. DTV web site just loops back around and doesnt provide any info. antennaweb.org says i cant get but a few channels because of my location and they arent HD. what i plan on doing is getting the channel list from both services most expensive packages and narrow down any channel differences then decide who has one i cant live without. would really like locals in HD though. how can i find out if DTV has them available to me? also, how would i find a local installer? realy dont want to use one of those companies that bombard my mailbox with fliers.
DTV is in the process of launching MANY new markets in HD. You may want to call them direct and ask...

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
Oh yeah, and one more thing. My folks had no cable or satellite service as recently as this summer, so they started with a clean slate looking at satellite service. After going through the packages in a channel by channel comparisons (including locals because E* does not include them in the base price) the price was virtually identical. We honestly found that cost was a wash. Therefore they went with D* so I could get the $100 referral credit. :righton:

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Mike Huss said:
Oh yeah, and one more thing. My folks had no cable or satellite service as recently as this summer, so they started with a clean slate looking at satellite service. After going through the packages in a channel by channel comparisons (including locals because E* does not include them in the base price) the price was virtually identical. We honestly found that cost was a wash. Therefore they went with D* so I could get the $100 referral credit. :righton:
Lucky you.

Go Romo!!!! Your Cowboys looked terrible on Monday. :)

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
Lucky you.

Go Romo!!!! Your Cowboys looked terrible on Monday. :)
YEAH BABY! I'm pumped about the Romo era. I was getting tired of having a veteran statue back there with no more upside to him, and evidently all kinds of downside rapidly coming. Romo has some nice moves, a quick release, and he has moxie. All of which Drew had none of anymore. If he cuts down on the mistakes we might be on to something.

As for Monday night I never thought the defense would forget to show up. I worried about the o-line against the Gints d-line, but I thought the D would be ok. Boy was I wrong.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.