DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Icon
Joined
·
761 Posts
I'm glad they are enforcing the law.
I'm sorry it was DTV that had to get on the wrong side of it. They should have been better than that.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
395 Posts
ApK said:
I'm glad they are enforcing the law.
I'm sorry it was DTV that had to get on the wrong side of it. They should have been better than that.
Are you kidding me, only $50k? That is so miniscuple to large corporations, and if I were making a business decision, and already am budgetted $200k for telemarketing because research shows the ROI will be $1M realized after 4 years, I would make the decision to break the law too. There is no ethics in business anymore, it's all bottom line.

All this law does is help monopolies maintain their status. I hate phone solicitations, and am on the DNC list, but am sickened that the fine is not larger. A startup would think seriously before breaking the law, but to DTV its a drop in the bucket.

Think about it, all of us that have free HR-20's. DTV paid $500 for them (guess), so that's only 100 people that needed to receive the receiver to equal $50,000. Theres more of us on here that probably fill that quota.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
761 Posts
It costs very little to abide by a no call list. People who put themselves on a DNC are far less likely to be buying from you when you violate their DNC instruction, so the bottom line says: Abide by the DNC, and spend the time calling people who are more likely to buy. Their fine should be more prohibitive though, I agree. Actually, I think the fine...all fines...should be proportional to earnings, like taxes. A $100 ticket might stop me from speeding but doesn't bother the idiot in the Hummer on the cell phone talking to to his broker.
 

·
Impossible Dreamer
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
ApK said:
People who put themselves on a DNC are far less likely to be buying from you when you violate their DNC instruction
Definitely true for me.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,985 Posts
The $50,000 might not be a lot for D*, but I think it is enough to let them know that Missouri is serious about their do not call list. I have a feeling someone at D* has already tightened things up - not just for Missouri bit hopefully the other states as well.

I would also suspect that further violations could result in much stiffer fines. Someone reaches out to give you a wet-willy and you brush their hand away and say "uh-uh", that usually does it. If they persist, more drastic measures are in order. D* got a brush of the hand and an "uh-uh".
 

·
I am Iron Man!
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
DirecTV pays $50,000 over no-call violations
Source: http://kshb.com/kshb/nw_local_news/article/0,1925,KSHB_9424_5095780,00.html

Read the rest of the story: Associated Press via KSHB NBC
I am thrilled about this. They called me and I told them I was on the do not call list. They said they could call existing customers. I said I didn't know anything about that and do not care as I am on the "do not call" list. Not the "do not call if I am not a customer" list.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,294 Posts
I'd be willing to bet in both cases E* & D* it was a dealer calling not the company itself.

I get calls trying to sell me sat tv all the times. I just let them go through their spiel and waste their time , then I say do you know why we are talking? You wasted my time calling me to sell me something I already have so I've returned the favor as well as saving somebody else being bothered by my hanging up. They hate wasting time on a duff sales call and wouyld rather you just hang up the phone so they can go to the next number on the list.

Question Should E* or D* be fined for the actions of dealers that have been told Honor the DNC list?
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
439 Posts
TBoneit said:
I'd be willing to bet in both cases E* & D* it was a dealer calling not the company itself.

I get calls trying to sell me sat tv all the times. I just let them go through their spiel and waste their time , then I say do you know why we are talking? You wasted my time calling me to sell me something I already have so I've returned the favor as well as saving somebody else being bothered by my hanging up. They hate wasting time on a duff sales call and wouyld rather you just hang up the phone so they can go to the next number on the list.

Question Should E* or D* be fined for the actions of dealers that have been told Honor the DNC list?
Answer: Yes. Harrass them, embarrass them. Then they will eventually stop doing business with the subsidiary that gets away with it, or they will crack down on that partner.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,985 Posts
If these dealers are actually agents paid by DirecTv to MAKE those sales calls, then I can see DirecTv having to pay the fines. If that's the case, then it's DirecTv's responsibility to make sure these "agents" are complying with the law.

If these dealers are working on their own in making these calls, then it's the dealers violating the lists and not DirecTv. The original article gives no indication the trail that leads to Directv, but I'm guessing if it got to the point of court ordered fines to be paid by DirecTv, that the trail does lead directly to DirecTv.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
761 Posts
lakebum431 said:
That is true, if you have an existing relationship with a company that gets them around you being on the do not call list.
It allows then to call even if you're on the NATIONAL DNC list, and I assume state lists work the same way, but the law says that, exisiting relationship or not, they may not call you for marketing once you EXPLICITY ASK THEM NOT TO...that is, once you ask to be put on the COMPANY'S DNC list.

Here's the info from http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/dncalrt.htm :

32. My number is on the National Do Not Call Registry. After I bought something from a company, a telemarketer representing that organization called me. Is this a violation?

No. By purchasing something from the company, you established a business relationship with the company. As a result, even if you put your number on the National Do Not Call Registry, that company may call you for up to 18 months after your last purchase or delivery from it, or your last payment to it, unless you ask the company not to call again. In that case, the company must honor your request not to call. If they subsequently call you again, they may be subject to a fine of up to $11,000.

An established business relationship with a company also will be created if you make an inquiry to the company, or submit an application to it. This kind of established business relationship exists for three months after the inquiry or application. During this time, the company can call you.

If you make a specific request to that company not to call you, however, then the company may not call you, even if you have an established business relationship with that company.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,792 Posts
That they can call you up to 18 months is crap and the way their getting around you telling them not to is they call you up when you answer they play a tape.The only way is to have Caller ID and let it ring.:D
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
761 Posts
Jhon69 said:
That they can call you up to 18 months is crap and the way their getting around you telling them not to is they call you up when you answer they play a tape.The only way is to have Caller ID and let it ring.:D
Just call them and tell them not to call. If they do after that, sue them. If you don't like the 18 month provision (and you probably would feel differently if you ran a business) then call your congressman. .
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
6,901 Posts
Missouri Dings DirecTV for Do-Not-Call Violation

By Linda Haugsted
10/30/2006 4:39:00 PM

DirecTV and three other out-of-state firms will pay a combined total of $100,000 to settle claims that the companies violated Missouri's state do-not-call list.

Neither DirecTV nor the other firms admitted any wrong-doing in their telemarketing practices in the settlement.

The charges were raised by state Attorney General Jay Nixon, who announced the settlement Oct. 27 as the agreement was filed in St. Louis City Circuit Court. The official took action against the companies based on consumer complaints.

DirecTV's share of the settlement was $50,000. Other alleged offenders included a Reno, Nev.-based real estate firm, which will pay $30,000.

--
( Source: http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6386594.html )
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,792 Posts
ApK said:
Just call them and tell them not to call. If they do after that, sue them. If you don't like the 18 month provision (and you probably would feel differently if you ran a business) then call your congressman. .
Better check and see where their at before you call.The phone# might be out of the Carribean and when you call you sure won't like the bill for that call.:eek2:
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
761 Posts
Jhon69 said:
Better check and see where their at before you call.The phone# might be out of the Carribean and when you call you sure won't like the bill for that call.:eek2:
True...don't fall for those "Call this 900 number to be removed from our list" pitches, either.....

But I was thinking of DTV specifically. 800-DIRECTV is pretty safe. :)
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,792 Posts
ApK said:
True...don't fall for those "Call this 900 number to be removed from our list" pitches, either.....

But I was thinking of DTV specifically. 800-DIRECTV is pretty safe. :)
I understand what your saying it's just personally I don't believe it's a safe policy to call back telemarketers.In fact I'm so lazy I just let the Do Not Call people do my calling for me.:D
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top