DBSTalk Forum banner

Directv Press Release DVB-2

4K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  dduitsman 
Scott in FL said:
DVB-S2 is something you don't hear much about in this forum, and I applaud DirecTV for taking the leap and adopting it (the "other" company isn't using it). The article mentioned a 30% performance improvement over DVB-S, and this is true. What it means to us is more HD channels and less rain fade at Ka band. DVB-S2 allows MPEG-4 compression for HD and pilots to recover the signal during high noise conditions (rain fade).

So far DirecTV is using DVB-S2 for some of the locals. The problem with DVB-S2 is it's not compatible with the older DVB-S receivers, so they have to replace all of the older receivers before they can implement DVB-S2 across the board. This is the main reason Dish has so far chosen to not use DVB-S2.
But why would Dish not use it on their newest MPEG-4 receivers? Their HD is or soon will be exclusively MPEG-4, and their Eastern Arc service is MPEG-4 only, so that would seem to be the perfect time to go with it.

I had moments of rain rade on both SD and HD local channel feeds last night during the Olympic volleyball and closing ceremony, storms in the metro Atlanta area had me reverting to OTA at times.

tvjay said:
You say that like its a bad thing.......OTA-HD, unless taken directly from the station via fiber which they are not doing at very many places, will be better than DirecTV if received by a good antenna. I am not trying to starting a debate, just stating something that as a local TV engineer makes me upset.
No, not bad at all. Reverting was a bad choice of words.

I usually watch the OTA feeds especially whenever I am merely watching live tv. During the Olympics I was using the MPEG-4 feed from DirecTV a lot because I was doing so much recording of stuff.

So E* is using 8PSK on the MPEG-4 offerings via Ku, whereas D* is using QPSK on their Ka channels?

This maybe explains how E* is able to squeeze all their SD and HD programming onto the new MPEG-4 only Eastern Arc constallation of satellites?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.