DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm down in Houston so I ordered the DirecTV Protection Plan considering that hurricane Ike is barreling down on us. When I was talking to the CSR, she said that DirecTV will replace your equipment for cases like hurricanes even if you DON'T have the plan (in cases where lots of customers have problems). I asked for a "link" to a policy stating that and she then came back on the line and talked me into the plan.

I find it interesting that item #16 in the plan under "What is not covered" is "Acts of God". Seems to me that if I was dealing with an insurance company, a hurricane would be an Act of God. :confused:

Has anyone had any experience with this (that being having a major storm hit like a hurricane where you lose your dish, it's sighting, or have tornadoes/rain causing you to lose equipment) and DirecTV just replaced your stuff for free out of the kindness of their heart? She said for just small storms, you would have to buy your own equipment or pay to resight dish (the reason for the plan I guess).

Anyway, I picked it up for $5.99 a month and she threw in 5 HD Channels for 6 months and HBO for 3 months. First month is free and I guess I could always cancel it after a couple months if the value isn't there. Seems like a smart, low-cost insurance policy.

What's the general thinking out there on the Protection Plan? Anyone out there have experience with MAJOR storms? Has anyone ever gotten a definition of "Acts of God"?

p.s. -- I also picked up an HD DVR receiver (HR-22 I hope but no guarantees) to use in the back bedroom for $99 plus $19.99 for the handling. Was that a reasonable deal? (I'm not a new customer)

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
InfoManWD said:
I'm down in Houston so I ordered the DirecTV Protection Plan considering that hurricane Ike is barreling down on us. When I was talking to the CSR, she said that DirecTV will replace your equipment for cases like hurricanes even if you DON'T have the plan (in cases where lots of customers have problems). I asked for a "link" to a policy stating that and she then came back on the line and talked me into the plan.

I find it interesting that item #16 in the plan under "What is not covered" is "Acts of God". Seems to me that if I was dealing with an insurance company, a hurricane would be an Act of God. :confused:

Has anyone had any experience with this (that being having a major storm hit like a hurricane where you lose your dish, it's sighting, or have tornadoes/rain causing you to lose equipment) and DirecTV just replaced your stuff for free out of the kindness of their heart? She said for just small storms, you would have to buy your own equipment or pay to resight dish (the reason for the plan I guess).

Anyway, I picked it up for $5.99 a month and she threw in 5 HD Channels for 6 months and HBO for 3 months. First month is free and I guess I could always cancel it after a couple months if the value isn't there. Seems like a smart, low-cost insurance policy.

What's the general thinking out there on the Protection Plan? Anyone out there have experience with MAJOR storms? Has anyone ever gotten a definition of "Acts of God"?

p.s. -- I also picked up an HD DVR receiver (HR-22 I hope but no guarantees) to use in the back bedroom for $99 plus $19.99 for the handling. Was that a reasonable deal? (I'm not a new customer)
directv personally decides on a storm by storm basis what they will cover for hurricanes. you would be covered because directv said so.

· Godfather
335 Posts
InfoManWD said:

Good luck and God bless there in Houston. I hope Ike turns out not to be such a big deal. Many people here in NOLA praying for you guys.:)

· Hall Of Fame
1,212 Posts
curt8403 said:
directv personally decides on a storm by storm basis what they will cover for hurricanes. you would be covered because directv said so.
directv didnt say so...some random CSR said so...and i think we all know what happens when one lone CSR tells you something..and even says theyll "note" your account............the OP better get it in writing.

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
InfoManWD,

I just want to touch on a few points to make sure you've got the picture.

When you first sign up for the protection plan, there is a 30-day wait period. You are not charged for that first 30 days, but you are also not covered for those first 30 days. So if you just signed up for it as a hedge against Ike, it's very possible that any damage you may suffer will NOT be covered under the plan since you are within that first 30-day wait period.

That being said, it may be possible that if you do suffer damage, DirecTV will decide to cover it because of the storm, protection plan not withstanding.

Finally, when you sign up for the PP, it is an agreement to carry the plan for 12 months. If you cancel before that time (say, in a couple of months), there is a $10 early cancellation fee.

Best of luck, and I hope that you and your family make it through all this untouched! :)

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
BubblePuppy said:
!rolling
Oh...that is a good one.
maybe we could dump 1,000,000 gallons of Geritol in the Atlantic ocean, (which would promote more oxygen, hence less Co2, global cooling, less hurricanes)

· Hall Of Fame
1,393 Posts
Are we sure hurricanes are acts of god and not the devil? :lol: :lol: I'm sure the Waterboy's mom would agree, everything else in the movie she said was the work of the devil.. I hope your dish is pole mount so it won't possibly take off side of your house or roof.

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
kevinwmsn said:
Are we sure hurricanes are acts of god and not the devil? :lol: :lol: I'm sure the Waterboy's mom would agree, everything else in the movie she said was the work of the devil.. I hope your dish is pole mount so it won't possibly take off side of your house or roof.
Years ago, Darrin (From Bewitched) told his mother in law to blow. Hurricanes are her work.

· Legend
207 Posts
i consider the $5.99/month part of the normal expense of having directv. i wouldn't be without it. since weather related occurances have caused the need for several service calls and numerous replacement receivers, i'm pretty sure that the $72/year i've paid for about the last 5 yrs, has been more then worth it for us. i consider it a cheap insurance policy. without it, we would have paid over 1k easily in receiver replacements and service calls. one service call equals the price of the plan for one year. this equipment is far too sensitive (or poorly made?), to not protect. a stiff wind seems to cause problems! and i won't even go into the incredibly poor customer service i've received the past 11 years. they will finally get it right, but oh my god does it take them a long, long time to do so. simply put, they have great product/extremely **itty customer svc.

· Hall Of Fame
4,787 Posts
JLucPicard said:
InfoManWD,

I just want to touch on a few points to make sure you've got the picture.

When you first sign up for the protection plan, there is a 30-day wait period. You are not charged for that first 30 days, but you are also not covered for those first 30 days. So if you just signed up for it as a hedge against Ike, it's very possible that any damage you may suffer will NOT be covered under the plan since you are within that first 30-day wait period.

That being said, it may be possible that if you do suffer damage, DirecTV will decide to cover it because of the storm, protection plan not withstanding.

Finally, when you sign up for the PP, it is an agreement to carry the plan for 12 months. If you cancel before that time (say, in a couple of months), there is a $10 early cancellation fee.

Best of luck, and I hope that you and your family make it through all this untouched! :)
Normally DirecTV will roll the truck at a reduced cost when you are on the protection plan for the first 30 days.:)

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
Jeremy W said:
Well that's just crap. I bet Dish and <insert cable company here> would roll a truck in a hurricane! DirecTV sucks.
well I am so very very glad to learn that Dish sends out techs to areas where there are 100 mile per hour winds. My only question is,..... How do they keep from being blown off the roof.? Or maybe they trained with the Flying Walendas

· Godfather
340 Posts
I had my dish ripped off my roof when there was a tornado here in atlanta earlier in the year. It took most of the wires out with it and made quite a mess. They covered it totally and fixed the mess from the torn cables without a problem.

They also came back out last month when my dish got struck by lightning (so they claim I think it was just misaligned after the TS made its way through) and fixed that.

We've had a bad year as far as claims go - but we've had the plan since they offered it. They didnt extend our contract or try and fight about what was/wasnt covered. Other than the fact that it took a week to get here and the guy didnt show up one day I'm very happy.

Good luck down there, stay safe!

· Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt
5,262 Posts
curt8403 said:
maybe we could dump 1,000,000 gallons of Geritol in the Atlantic ocean, (which would promote more oxygen, hence less Co2, global cooling, less hurricanes)
And this has to do with "acts of god'?
Just what is your point with this comment?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.