DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· AllStar
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some answers regarding the DirecTV protection plan, and knew this is the best place to get them.

I currently have the protection plan. My question is, if I cancel the protection plan and say a receiver bricks on me, will DirecTV still swap receivers, or will I then be responsible for purchasing receivers? This is the main concern I have in cancelling the protection plan.

I have had a fit of a time with both DirecTV and their contractor in my area, and have basically had 2 of my 4 TV's down since 7/9/08 with no resolution in sight until the new date now of 8/18/08. I personally would have been better off with this situation going to a real professional company to have the needed repairs done, paid the money, and watch TV 30 minutes after the repairs. It has been a nightmare to deal with DTV and their contractor to say the least!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice cancelling the protection plan. And keep your fingers crossed for me that I ever get my HDTV back for anything more than PS3, Blue Ray and DVD. :mad:

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
ballen2221 said:
Just looking for some answers regarding the DirecTV protection plan, and knew this is the best place to get them.

I currently have the protection plan. My question is, if I cancel the protection plan and say a receiver bricks on me, will DirecTV still swap receivers, or will I then be responsible for purchasing receivers? This is the main concern I have in cancelling the protection plan.

I have had a fit of a time with both DirecTV and their contractor in my area, and have basically had 2 of my 4 TV's down since 7/9/08 with no resolution in sight until the new date now of 8/18/08. I personally would have been better off with this situation going to a real professional company to have the needed repairs done, paid the money, and watch TV 30 minutes after the repairs. It has been a nightmare to deal with DTV and their contractor to say the least!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice cancelling the protection plan. And keep your fingers crossed for me that I ever get my HDTV back for anything more than PS3, Blue Ray and DVD. :mad:
they will swap, you might pay the shipping costs. you might get a new agreement.

· Mentor
41 Posts
ballen2221 said:

you will be charge 19.95 is there is no DPP on the acct, then s/c are 79.95

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
ballen2221 said:
So I would have to give them a one year commitment or something like that? Just curious, as I have no agreement with them currently. Thanks!!
if the current rcvr is owned. you will have to agree to a new agreement to get it replaced.

· AllStar
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
curt8403 said:
if the current rcvr is owned. you will have to agree to a new agreement to get it replaced.
Thanks, that is what I was looking for. At this point in time I'm not sure I'm willing to even spend the money to have my buried cable replaced by someone other than DTV, or give DTV a commitment for a day, much less a year. Thanks again for the help!!

· Mentor
41 Posts
ballen2221 said:
So I would have to give them a one year commitment or something like that? Just curious, as I have no agreement with them currently. Thanks!!
Even with leased irds, there will be a renewal of commitment, 1 - 2 yrs, but for a leased ird it will have to be like a yr out of warrenty

well this is happened to me

· AllStar
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JLucPicard said:
Two years for anything other than a plain old standard def receiver. For a plain old standard def receiver it's 18 months.
Thanks for the clarification. The commitment is actually longer than I thought.

Is it possible to just purchase a receiver and not have any commitment? Sorry for the continued questions....I just have a real dilemma on my hands as how to proceed with resolving my current issues. And thanks again for the help!

· Hall Of Fame
2,050 Posts
ballen2221 said:
Thanks for the clarification. The commitment is actually longer than I thought.

Is it possible to just purchase a receiver and not have any commitment? Sorry for the continued questions....I just have a real dilemma on my hands as how to proceed with resolving my current issues. And thanks again for the help!
Supposedly you can purchase the receiver outright for something like $800, and there would be no commitment. But since the early termination fee on the 2 year commitment is $20 per month (for a maximum of $480), I'm not really sure if there is a benefit to paying $800 to avoid the commitment.

· AllStar
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Upstream said:
Supposedly you can purchase the receiver outright for something like $800, and there would be no commitment. But since the early termination fee on the 2 year commitment is $20 per month (for a maximum of $480), I'm not really sure if there is a benefit to paying $800 to avoid the commitment.
I actually bricked my HD20-600 about a year ago, and they did replace it for free under the protection plan. Fortunately they send it either UPS or FedEx (can't remember) and didn't require a visit from the D-wreck techs we have here. But, I did only pay $99 for the H20 at Circuit City, and nowhere close to $800, then activated it with DTV. It wasn't a problem last year to switch it for a refurbed H20.

I believe I will keep the protection plan, and just get a non DTV tech (the one who originally wired our home for DTV 11 years ago) to come out and fix the substandard work performed by the D-wreck techs since beginning to use them 2 1/2 years ago. I had no needed service issues for the first 8 1/2 years when the installation was done properly. Since using D-wreck Tech I have had 7 service related calls in 2 1/2 years.....not a very good batting average for D-wreck Tech.

Thanks for the answers and suggestions. I believe I now have a plan that might get me back up and running well before 8/18/08, and not have to screw with D-wreck Tech, and have everything fixed properly. BTW....been down pretty much off and on since 7/9/08, thus the frustration with both the techs and DTV. We'll see how this one goes!

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
ballen2221 said:
I actually bricked my HD20-600 about a year ago, and they did replace it for free under the protection plan. Fortunately they send it either UPS or FedEx (can't remember) and didn't require a visit from the D-wreck techs we have here. But, I did only pay $99 for the H20 at Circuit City, and nowhere close to $800, then activated it with DTV. It wasn't a problem last year to switch it for a refurbed H20.

I believe I will keep the protection plan, and just get a non DTV tech (the one who originally wired our home for DTV 11 years ago) to come out and fix the substandard work performed by the D-wreck techs since beginning to use them 2 1/2 years ago. I had no needed service issues for the first 8 1/2 years when the installation was done properly. Since using D-wreck Tech I have had 7 service related calls in 2 1/2 years.....not a very good batting average for D-wreck Tech.

Thanks for the answers and suggestions. I believe I now have a plan that might get me back up and running well before 8/18/08, and not have to screw with D-wreck Tech, and have everything fixed properly. BTW....been down pretty much off and on since 7/9/08, thus the frustration with both the techs and DTV. We'll see how this one goes!
If you "PURCHASED" it for $99 you didn't buy it you just paid a LEASE UPGRADE FEE. It will never be a problem to switch out receivers because D* owns it.:) :) :)

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
Although D* offers no officially published policy on receiver replacements, a few people here have had verbal and e-mail communications that seem to indicate an internal policy. That policy is for leased receivers to be replaced for a $19.95 S&H charge with no change in commitment. If the receiver is owned, it can also be replaced fro the same $19.95, but the replacement will become a leased receiver *and* a service commitment will be required.

Having said that, please keep in mind that there is no officially published policy and even if there was, D* always reserves the right to change it at any time. Additionally, it seems that the CSR's don't always know what the policy is and often mishandle the commitment requirements. Not only that, there seems to be a move toward D* pushing for an $80 in-home service visit to verify the malfunction rather than just blindly replacing receivers.

Of course if you have the PP, all you need to worry about is how soon you can get a replacement receiver shipped or how soon your service call can be scheduled. Other than your monthly $5.99 charge for the PP, there are no additional S&H charges or deductibles and all receivers activated on your account are covered as well as the wiring, dish, LNB's, multiswitches, etc. And that is a written, published policy:

http://directv.com/learn/pdf/DirecTV_service_contract_v4.pdf

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.