DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Icon
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While checking out my list of recorded programs tonight on the DVR, I notice that out of the blue I've got a week's worth of both The Bold and the Beautiful and Days of Our Lives listed. I know they weren't there yesterday, and everyone in the house has denied setting up a recording for these shows.

After digging, I see there is no record of them in the Recordings History, and when getting Info on individual episodes, there is no Series Options menu choice. I played one and it was slow to start, with a long "Please Wait…" pop up so I assume these are VOD titles, but they were listed as recordings from my local CBS TV channel (WKRG 5 Mobile) with the correct air times. Deleting 10 days worth of programs didn't free up any space so I guess it is VOD after all, but my questions are two fold:

1 ) Why?

2 ) Can this be turned off somehow? I don't want DirecTV cluttering up my playlist with crap I have no interest in seeing. Isn't that what the "You Might Like" or whatever it's called under the Settings menu's for, anyway?

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
I don't know where it is because I do not have a Genie. It sounds like you do. It has a setting that it will look at what you have been viewing / recording and figures that you would also like ????? and records it. It can be turned off in settings somewhere.
Some one will come along with the exact instructions of how it is done.

·
Icon
2,680 Posts
Do you have any recordings setup based on keywords? My nephew loves Charlie Brown. So, I have keyword recordings setup on Charlie Brown and Peanuts. I end up recording a lot of cooking shows based on the "peanuts" keyword. As a matter of fact, I just deleted one from my "to do" list today.

·
Icon
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bill Broderick said:
Do you have any recordings setup based on keywords? My nephew loves Charlie Brown. So, I have keyword recordings setup on Charlie Brown and Peanuts. I end up recording a lot of cooking shows based on the "peanuts" keyword. As a matter of fact, I just deleted one from my "to do" list today.
I don't think so, but I will double check to be sure.

litzdog911 said:
Are you in a single family house or apartment/condo complex?
Could someone be tied into the same WiFi network as you?
Single house, locked down wifi. The DirecTV Genies are hard-wired.

NR4P said:
Go into your TO DO list and see if it is there and if so, delete it.
That's just it - there is nothing in my TO DO list saying these were selected to record, or that they were recorded. And when I deleted them, they did not free up any space, which makes me think they were either fake VOD entries or pushed to the DVR and not taken from my allotment of recording space.

Since deleting them, nothing has come back yet.

·
Premium Member
25,276 Posts
I am guessing it was a glitch. If it pops up again I'd clear out the guide data and rebuild it.

Also they wherent in a folder that said recently watched or something like that where they?

·
Icon
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I finally figured this out, and a gold star to NR4P for getting it right before I even knew the answer.

Next door to where I live is my grandmother's house and she has a completely separate DirecTV Genie system. But apparently hers has built-in wifi, unlike mine. My father was over there messing around with her system and used my wifi credentials to log her Genie onto my wifi network. That happened a few days before the rogue shows appeared so it must have taken a little time for the two systems to mesh together playlists. He went back over there today to disconnect her from our wifi since she does not download or DVR anything. (She's 88 - the fact that she's finally learned how to turn the TV on and find the Hallmark Movie Channel is a minor miracle.) Her DVR playlist was suddenly full of my programming! The soap operas that "mysteriously" appeared on my DVR were from visiting relatives who have that DVR set to tape their favorite shows. Grandmother doesn't mind, and doesn't understand the concept of a DVR so no harm no foul.

Luckily, when I deleted them from my Genie's playlist they only deleted the reference on my end, it didn't delete the shows on her side.

Very strange, but I learned two new things. One, that two Genies on different accounts can be networked and two that the newer Genie boxes have built-in wifi, apparently.

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
Tom Servo said:
So I finally figured this out, and a gold star to NR4P for getting it right before I even knew the answer.
Litzdog911 nailed it as well... Give credit where credit is due ...... :righton:

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
Tom Servo said:
One, that two Genies on different accounts can be networked and two that the newer Genie boxes have built-in wifi, apparently.
Right, the H44, HR44/54 has built in wifi

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.