DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

· AllStar
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if I could call DIRECTV ask them to seed me a R22 SD-DVR. I don't want to upgrade to HD, but I would like to have the DIRECTV ON Demand. I have a friend who has the HD DVR and I really like the interface, and so I heard that the R22 has the same interface. Also would I have to upgrade my current 18-inch round dish? Thanks! :)

· Registered
4,042 Posts
Knowing the way DirecTV thinks I highly doubt it.

The only way they would send you a R22-100 is if you live in a market that gets it's locals from the 72,99, or 103 satellites. Everyone else gets a R15/16.

I have also been keeping an eye out but I have not seen anyone selling them online.

· Hall Of Fame
4,787 Posts
gordon1fan said:
So if I want DIRECTV On Demand, I'll have to get a HD DVR? I don't have a HD TV so a HD DVR would not do me any good. I'll call DIRECTV and I will post back on what they tell me.
Before DirecTV came out with the R22-100 there have been several DirecTV subscribers that decided to go with the HR's instead of the R15/16.You don't have to have a HDTV as the HR's have SD hookups AV and S-Video.;)

· AllStar
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got off the phone with DIRECTV. They are sending me a R22 SD DVR out next week. The only cost I have to pay is $99.00 plus shipping and handling, witch brings the total to $129.66. She said that the R22 will still work with my standard 18 inch dish, so they do not have to send out a installer to change the dish out.

· Registered
8,035 Posts
gordon1fan said:
I just got off the phone with DIRECTV. They are sending me a R22 SD DVR out next week. The only cost I have to pay is $99.00 plus shipping and handling, witch brings the total to $129.66. She said that the R22 will still work with my standard 18 inch dish, so they do not have to send out a installer to change the dish out.
Good luck with getting the R22. Last I knew CSRs had zero control over what the warehouse guy grabs off the pallet. Only thing they could specify was receiver class, SD, SDDVR, HD, HDDVR, nothing on the model level.

· Hall Of Fame
4,787 Posts
gordon1fan said:
Let us know hope DirecTV gets your order right.:)

· Registered
4,042 Posts
RobertE said:
Good luck with getting the R22. Last I knew CSRs had zero control over what the warehouse guy grabs off the pallet. Only thing they could specify was receiver class, SD, SDDVR, HD, HDDVR, nothing on the model level.
Agreed, gordon1fan you may want to call back and have a different CSR check the order.

· AllStar
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Draconis said:
Agreed, gordon1fan you may want to call back and have a different CSR check the order.
I just got off the phone again with DIRECTV. I ask the guy to check my order for a R22 and he said that the R22 is the SD DVR that they are shipping out now. He said that I would be getting a R22. So I guess I'll wait and see....:grin:

· 1*
9,917 Posts
Jhon69 said:
Before DirecTV came out with the R22-100 there have been several DirecTV subscribers that decided to go with the HR's instead of the R15/16.You don't have to have a HDTV as the HR's have SD hookups AV and S-Video.;)
True, you don't need an HDTV to have the HR receiver, but you are required to subscribe to an HD package when you activate the HR receiver. That's an extra $10 a month that I don't want to spend right now.

- Merg

· RF Engineer
4,324 Posts
Jhon69 said:
I would really like to see DirecTV release the R22-100 to all DirecTV subscribers.As this is their best DVR yet.:)
For some people.

Believe it or not, I don't use any of the "exotic" features of the R22, and I actually like my R15's better as SD DVR's. At least nothing is crippled and I can access ALL the menu options!!! Plus, I can send it's signal to all of my TV's via it's channel 3 RF output which the R22 does not have. And the R15 responds to RF and IR remote commands simultaneously. The R22 doesn't.

And I don't get ads in my program guide on my R15's. ;)

· AllStar
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ThomasM said:
For some people.

Believe it or not, I don't use any of the "exotic" features of the R22, and I actually like my R15's better as SD DVR's. At least nothing is crippled and I can access ALL the menu options!!! Plus, I can send it's signal to all of my TV's via it's channel 3 RF output which the R22 does not have. And the R15 responds to RF and IR remote commands simultaneously. The R22 doesn't.

And I don't get ads in my program guide on my R15's. ;)
But the R15 or R16 does not have "DIRECTV On Demand"! :)

By the way, I just helped a friend hook up his HR21 to the Internet for DIRECTV On Demand. W0W! Pretty awesome! :lol:

· Legend
169 Posts
Draconis said:
Knowing the way DirecTV thinks I highly doubt it.

The only way they would send you a R22-100 is if you live in a market that gets it's locals from the 72,99, or 103 satellites. Everyone else gets a R15/16.

I have also been keeping an eye out but I have not seen anyone selling them online.
I do get my locals off 72.5 and on my pending order it does say R22. Can I be confident that I will get the R22 if it says it on my account? Thanks.

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
oscar madison said:
I do get my locals off 72.5 and on my pending order it does say R22. Can I be confident that I will get the R22 if it says it on my account? Thanks.
Odds are good you will get the R22, because 72.5 feeds will migrate to either 99 or 103 later this year. But that is not an absolute guarantee, they could elect to change DVRs later this year.

Carl

· AllStar
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oscar madison said:
If you tell them that you are interested in the DIRECTV On Demand, then they should send you a R22 or if you want HD, the HR21. I told DIRECTV that I wanted the DIRECTV On Demand, and I don't have a HD TV, so they said that I will be getting a R22. I will keep you posted. :)

· AllStar
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bad news! I just had a DIRECTV receiver drooped off by Fed EX. It was not a R22 but a R15-100. I called DIRECTV and the lady told me that they don't have any control on what receiver that they ship out! That really SUCKS! I'm sending the R15 back on Monday. :mad: I guess I'll just have to wait until Circuit City or Best Buy get them in stock.

· Legend
169 Posts
gordon1fan said:
Bad news! I just had a DIRECTV receiver drooped off by Fed EX. It was not a R22 but a R15-100. I called DIRECTV and the lady told me that they don't have any control on what receiver that they ship out! That really SUCKS! I'm sending the R15 back on Monday. :mad: I guess I'll just have to wait until Circuit City or Best Buy get them in stock.
Supposed to get mine on Saturday. I'll post then. It does says on my account that the will be shipping a R22 I found.

· 1*
9,917 Posts
gordon1fan said:
Just curious... What did your on-line order state you were going to be receiving?

- Merg

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.