DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Godfather
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. so now that I got an HR21-100 with built-in RF. I thought it would be cool/better to switch from my existing IR/RF repeater, which was kind of flaky, to a Directv RC64BF remote which has RF capability.

I got it all programmed. This is for my bedroom.

Now I realize that this remote doesn't have a sleep button.. DOH!!

Is there any way to program "Sleep" into this thing? Is there any RF remote that is compatible with the built-in RF on Directv receivers that has sleep??

Please.. Tell me this isn't another Directv oversight.....Sleep.. TV? Come on.. It's a standard thing on TVs for like 20 years.

Do I need to have a separate remote just for "Sleep". Sheesh..

· Godfather
417 Posts
I went through the same thing. Unfortunately not. The way we had to get to "sleep" was the "long way" on our Olevia LCD. We were able to access the sleep timer through the regular TV menu which did work with the remote. Instead of 1 button push it took about 5 ... but at least it worked.

mogulman said:
Ok.. so now that I got an HR21-100 with built-in RF. I thought it would be cool/better to switch from my existing IR/RF repeater, which was kind of flaky, to a Directv RC64BF remote which has RF capability.

I got it all programmed. This is for my bedroom.

Now I realize that this remote doesn't have a sleep button.. DOH!!

Is there any way to program "Sleep" into this thing? Is there any RF remote that is compatible with the built-in RF on Directv receivers that has sleep??

Please.. Tell me this isn't another Directv oversight.....Sleep.. TV? Come on.. It's a standard thing on TVs for like 20 years.

Do I need to have a separate remote just for "Sleep". Sheesh..

· Godfather
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah.. I found a code that will let me use the "Menu" button.

So I guess its either:

1. Keep my old remote on the nightstand for "Sleep"
or
2. Switch to AV1, Menu, Up 3 times, Select, then down. And hope that my wife doesn't change something else in the menu when she does this....ugh..

· Godfather
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm guessing there aren't any other universal remotes out there that can use the RF Capability of the Directv receivers.. True?

I have a universal with its own RF repeater, but it didn't operate as well as the built-in RF.

· Remote Master
1,820 Posts
mogulman said:
I'm guessing there aren't any other universal remotes out there that can use the RF Capability of the Directv receivers.. True?

I have a universal with its own RF repeater, but it didn't operate as well as the built-in RF.
Right, and that goes for ALL RF remote capable components, no other remote will replace the RF oem remote. Unless the component can switch to IR.

Universal RF remotes only know one RF frequency, their own which they use to communicate with RF basestation. That why ALL RF universal remotes are IR only controlling devices.

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
Edmund said:
Right, and that goes for ALL RF remote capable components, no other remote will replace the RF oem remote. Unless the component can switch to IR.

Universal RF remotes only know one RF frequency, their own which they use to communicate with RF basestation. That why ALL RF universal remotes are IR only controlling devices.
And why they have an FCC compliance sticker on them.

· Godfather
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Makes me want to take apart my RC64R.. Add some new programming for the sleep button and use the RF. Maybe I'll take apart and old RC34 first to see how hard it would be.

· Registered
1 Posts
How are you able to access your TV menu with the remote to even get to sleep the long way? I can only adjust volume and input - it's driving me nuts to keep a second remote and this is the only mention I can find online

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
tnolting said:
How are you able to access your TV menu with the remote to even get to sleep the long way? I can only adjust volume and input - it's driving me nuts to keep a second remote and this is the only mention I can find online
Your are responding to a 6 year old thread !!!!!!!. You really dug one up….

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
tnolting said:
Welcome to DBSTalk.
You can't access the TV menu with the RC6x remotes.
As noted, this thread 6 years old so I'm closing it.

If you have a question, feel free to start a new thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.