DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DirecTV said it will begin broadcasting local channels in Buffalo, N.Y., and Oklahoma City by mid-year - expanding to 46 the number of markets the company plans to serve with local channels.

The satellite TV service, which currently offers local TV in 41 markets, announced earlier this year that it will begin offering channels in Hartford, Conn., and Las Vegas beginning May 15, and in Providence, R.I., in mid-July. DirecTV said it plans to offer local channels in 51 markets by year-end, representing more than 67 percent of U.S. TV households.

The new markets will receive local TV from a DirecTV satellite at the 119-degree orbital slot, which will require the use of a multi-satellite capable DirecTV system, which includes a single dish and receiver. Currently all local channels from DirecTV are broadcast from its primary orbital slot at 101 degrees.

"Despite our capacity constraints, we are making good on our promise to launch new local channel markets this year and offer customers in these smaller metropolitan areas a complete cable alternative," said Roxanne Austin, president and COO at DirecTV. "Local channels are an important programming staple for viewers who should not be forced to have the Hobson's choice of either poor quality off-air signals or cable service."

Last year's launch of DirecTV 4S, a high-power spot-beam satellite, provided additional capacity to expand existing local channel packages and made capacity available at 119 degrees. The DirecTV 5 satellite launched this week will be located at the 119-degree orbital slot, expanding capacity and enabling DirecTV to serve additional markets

From SkyReport (Used with Permission)

·
Legend
103 Posts
Steve, What type of dish do I have to have in order to get locals at the 119 degree position? Right now I have the round 18" dish.

Thanks.

Jim

P.S. Bye Adelphia!!!!

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
You can either replace your current dish with an oval dish (18" x 24") or get an additional 18" dish. The oval allows you have just one dish on the roof and can be easily upgraded to see the 110 degree position if you need Hi-Def channels. Separate 18" dishes may give you a slightly higher signal strength and are easier to aim.

DirecTV may upgrade you free to an oval dish if you agree to a 12 month contract.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim, I think youll have to upgrade your recievers since your current recievers are most likely not DirecTV Plus compatable. If you have a DirecTiVo or any reciever with the 'DirecTV Plus' or 'Para Todos' logo on it then your good to go. If not youll have to upgrade

·
Legend
103 Posts
I called Directv today. They have two upgrade packages to go from a ROUND dish to an OVAL dish.

1) you pay $8.95 S&H for the dish and get professional installation. You must sign up for a 1 year subscription to Total Choice Premier.

2) You pay $49.95 and $8.95 S&H for the dish and you get professional installation. You must sign up for 1 year of Total Choice Plus W/ Local channels and Showtime.

Do you think there may be a retailer out there that will sell the Oval dish and give you professional installation for about $120 dollars?

Thanks.

·
Legend/Supporter
254 Posts
Also, keep in mind that DirecTV is no longer putting the DirecTV Plus logo on new receivers. Even though every new receiver that ships today (including Hughes and RCA G series receivers and Sony 65 series recievers) is Plus compatible, the previously mentioned receivers do not have a DirecTV Plus logo on them, but instead just a plain DirecTV logo.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Tim I didnt know D* stopped the printing the Plus logo on their IRDs. Jim my 2 suggestions for local D* retailers would be Rich Antenna in Lancaster (684-0106) and Quams Communications (828-1816) which is downtown. Ive heard good things about both and they are real flexiable on things.

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
This is indeed great news. It's gotten to the point that I can't stand watching the local TV on Adelphia. Simply because of the picture quality. But one question. How can I determine if my receivers are capable of receiving the Buffalo locals once they become available? I have a UTV purchased for $300 in September and a DirectTivo purchased in January. If I have to get a new dish, even if it means signing a one year contract, that's fine. But I hate the thought of replacing these receivers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
Both UTVs and DirecTiVos are DirecTV Plus compatible, although it may not indicate such on the case or packaging. I currently have two DirecTiVos using an eliptical dish. They have no problems accessing both the 101 & 119 degree positions.

G

·
Originally posted by ToddHealy

You can either replace your current dish with an oval
dish (18" x 24") or get an additional 18" dish. The oval
allows you have just one dish on the roof and can be easily
upgraded to see the 110 degree position if you
need Hi-Def channels. Separate 18" dishes may give you a
slightly higher signal strength and are easier to aim.

DirecTV may upgrade you free to an oval dish if you agree
to a 12 month contract.
Hey guys, this is old business, but your questions
brought my current situation to mind: I have a problem
getting simutaneous looks at what are for me satellite
locations east of south (101), and the two locations that
are west of south (110 and 119). I've got two dishes so
that I can solve at least part of my problem, and I've got
a Plus-compatible receiver, but it has only one satellite
input slot. Apparently I need a multi-switch;
can anyone out there clue me in on just what this is and
where I can acquire one?