226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link >> http://investor.directv.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=671207

From the link (summary)
-----------------------

DIRECTV Announces First Quarter 2012 Results
---------------------------------------------

DIRECTV Increases Net Additions 10% with a First Quarter Record 674,000

DIRECTV Latin America sets all-time records for gross and net additions with 1.0 million and 593,000, respectively in the quarter.
DIRECTV U.S. adds 81,000 new subscribers in the quarter as churn drops 6 basis points to 1.44%.
DIRECTV Revenues Grow 12% to $7.05 Billion

Increase driven by strong subscriber growth coupled with 3.6% higher ARPU at DIRECTV U.S.
Operating Profit before Depreciation and Amortization Increases 8% to $1.90 Billion and Operating Profit Grows 13% to $1.31 Billion

Growth driven by DIRECTV Latin America's 22% increase in operating profit before depreciation and amortization to $468 million and a 14% increase in operating profit to $249 million.
DIRECTV's Diluted Earnings per Share Rise 26% and Stock Repurchases Total $1.3 Billion in the Quarter

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DIRECTV (NASDAQ:DTV) today reported an increase in first quarter 2012 revenues of 12% to $7.05 billion, operating profit before depreciation and amortization1 (OPBDA) of 8% to $1.90 billion and operating profit of 13% to $1.31 billion compared to last year's first quarter. DIRECTV reported that first quarter net income increased 8% to $731 million and diluted earnings per share grew 26% to $1.07 compared with the same period last year.

"DIRECTV delivered another strong quarter of financial and operating results highlighted by double-digit revenue, EPS and cash flow growth, fueled in part by another quarter of record-setting subscriber growth in Latin America," said Mike White, president and CEO of DIRECTV. "Our industry leading revenue and earnings growth continues to be driven by the strength of our premier brands, popularity of our differentiated product and service offerings, and an enhanced focus on achieving operational excellence through effective cost management."

·
Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
DirecTV Profit Rises 8.5% as U.S. Customer Growth Slows
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-....html?cmpid=msnmoney&industry=IND_MEDIA&isub=
DirecTV (DTV), the largest U.S. satellite-TV provider, reported an 8.5 percent increase in first-quarter profit as it focused on retaining U.S. customers rather than adding news ones.
Sounds just like what Dishnetwork has done in the past.

"DirecTV is choosing to spend on the subscribers that it chooses to attract -- its focus on only adding high-quality subs comes at a cost," said Vijay Jayant, an analyst at ISI Group in New York.
Maybe the focus for providers is shifting from acquiring them to selectively acquiring only good customers?

"Today confirms a slowdown in U.S. subscriber growth, but that was expected," said Todd Mitchell, an analyst at Brean Murray Carret & Co. in New York.
Bundling of triple play by Cable companies and Fios (Where available) has to be hurting business.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,716 Posts
RAD said:
But you can bundle DIRECTV in AT&T, Suddenlink and Verizon area's which I think would cover the majority of the US.
Well first of all, you ain't going to be bundling w/Suddenlink; they ARE a cable co... ;)

So then when you call up either AT&T or Verizon, you certainly DON'T think that they are going to offer a D* bundle to a potential sub FIRST?
Make no mistake, they ALWAYS offer their own bundles first (ie: U-verse or FiOS based TV service) with U-verse/FiOS internet. Both telcos are NO longer pushing legacy DSL, & have gone on record as saying this.

DirecTV is ONLY offered as a "last resort" bundle, (usualy w/DSL) for those few(er) subs that can't get their U-verse/FiOS bundles - & I assure you D* already knows this; it's just some extra "low hanging fruit" they wouldn't have otherwise.

Hence why TBoneit's point is spot on... ;)

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
dishrich said:
Well first of all, you ain't going to be bundling w/Suddenlink; they ARE a cable co... ;)
Doh, I was close it's Centurylink, sorry

dishrich said:
So then when you call up either AT&T or Verizon, you certainly DON'T think that they are going to offer a D* bundle to a potential sub FIRST?
Make no mistake, they ALWAYS offer their own bundles first (ie: U-verse or FiOS based TV service) with U-verse/FiOS internet. Both telcos are NO longer pushing legacy DSL, & have gone on record as saying this.

DirecTV is ONLY offered as a "last resort" bundle, (usualy w/DSL) for those few(er) subs that can't get their U-verse/FiOS bundles - & I assure you D* already knows this; it's just some extra "low hanging fruit" they wouldn't have otherwise.

Maybe that's the case if you cann AT*T and Verizon, but if you go to the DIRECTV web site as a new customer right on the front page they have bundeling shown and how you can save up to $180. So to my point you can bundel DIRECTV with telco services, which is all that I said.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,218 Posts
dishrich said:

Keep in mind that those telco-provided video services (FiOS, U-verse, Prism, etc) are in a small percentage (usually under 30%) of their overall footprint.

·
Godfather
279 Posts
"Justin23" said:
Keep in mind that those telco-provided video services (FiOS, U-verse, Prism, etc) are in a small percentage (usually under 30%) of their overall footprint.
Good point, a great deal of CenturyLink territory is in rural areas where their Prism service will NEVER be offered. Since both AT&T and Verizon are pretty much finished with their U-Verse and FiOS build-out offering DirecTv is the only bundle offer they can provide in a lot of places.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,437 Posts
RAD said:
What makes you say that? They still added new subs without adding much at all.
The fact that they added fewer subscribers than DISH during the same period probably won't go unnoticed by management.

The ARPU is staggering for for a non-ST quarter. This is great in the short term for the company, but comparisons to the cable pig may start leaving a mark.

·
DaBears
6,085 Posts
harsh said:
The fact that they added fewer subscribers than DISH during the same period probably won't go unnoticed by management.

The ARPU is staggering for for a non-ST quarter. This is great in the short term for the company, but comparisons to the cable pig may start leaving a mark.
Actually I think their churn raises more eye brows than gross adds. While they did well with gross adds, and I'm not trying to take that away from them, the main thing is they didn't leak like a sieve as they have been.

We've seen DIRECTV go through this before where they stop focusing on sub growth for a quarter or two in order to play the balance sheet game.

Now the fun begins to see who is losing the customers this quarter. I have a feeling that U-Verse may be a place where they're losing some.

·
Banned
5,455 Posts
RAD said:
What makes you say that? They still added new subs without adding much at all.
I think they are running out of Subscribers to Sign up LOL!:lol:

What do they have now total? I just signed back up today too!:)

·
Banned
5,455 Posts
TBoneit said:
Bundling of triple play by Cable companies and Fios (Where available) has to be hurting business.
Bundle Packs are not all they are cracked up to be. I just did it with my cable company for the last 18 months. Love the Internet, Love the phone. But they are too slow on adding anything new, and they are still at the same price level as the competition.:nono:

I will never bundle again!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,224 Posts
"dishrich" said:

I've called Verizon 3 times. They will not bundle Directv with their Internet and phone service for me because they offer FIOS in my area.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,218 Posts
"zimm7778" said:
I've called Verizon 3 times. They will not bundle Directv with their Internet and phone service for me because they offer FIOS in my area.
Technically what Verizon has chosen to do is stop offering DSL in FiOS-eligible areas. So it's not the DIRECTV that's holding it up, it's the DSL.

·
Icon
843 Posts
zimm7778 said:
They can't. I tried them 3 times also. I already have Internet and phone through Verizon so they cannot bundle it.
You can't bundle, but you could do One Bill and have your Directv charges on your Verizon bill. You get a $6/month credit for doing the One Bill. I have been doing this for years with my FIOS service (both double & triple play).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.