DBSTalk Forum banner

DirecTv ripping off children or customers?

6K views 40 replies 14 participants last post by  HDSC 
#1 ·
This years Auto Racing PPV Prelude to the Dream benefiting kids hunger. From the NASCAR website at http://www.nascar.com/news/120516/prelude-to-dream-feed-children/index.html :

The commercial-free, high-definition broadcast will begin at 8 p.m. ET with an immediate replay. The Prelude to the Dream has a suggested retail price of $24.95 and is available to more than 92 million pay-per-view homes.
Just went to order and DirecTv is asking $34.95. Who is pocketing the extra $10? Ill just order it on my Tivo through Comcast. I think its pathetic they try to screw customers like this.

#2 ·
Your first problem is paying anything for NASCAR! Just kidding...not a fan but it's the same thing for UFC FIGHTS. I quit ordering I refuse to pay 10 bucks for the HD feed.

This isn't 2003 there's no reason to charge extra for HD....

Of course in this case, that extra 10 bucks is going into dtvs pockets I'm guessing...

#3 ·
Its HD only, or so they said on the HBO site. So you are thinking DirecTv is downrezzing the feed to SD for the $24.95, then charging us $10 more for the orginal? Still scummy. Im gonna check and see how much it is on Comcast and Dish, just to compare. I love the way these providers (excluding Comcast) want to charge extra for HD, then charges extra for the HD pack, and extra for the HD events. Should be covered by the monthly HD charge.

Dish wont show me prices, since Im not a customer. Any customers want to check at http://www.dish.com/entertainment/pay-per-view/#events and see what the charge is there for the HD feed?

#8 ·
Shades228 said:
24.95*2 = 49.90

HD is about 29% and you're assuming that the content provider doesn't charge more of a premium for the HD version as well.
Im assuming that since HBO claims the feed is in HD on their site. As far as charging double, I was referring to the $10 monthly HD charge, and then charging another $10 to see this in HD. That is fine, they can charge what they want. I was online to order the event in advance. Now I wont be ordering it at all. We both lose.

#9 ·
Davenlr said:
OK, thanks. Then they ARE double charging for HD. Guess Ill be watching this one on Comcast, unless they try the same crap...which means I wont be watching it at all.
What do you mean double charging? Last I checked, all PPV events cost $10 more. NASCAR is saying charge $25 for SD, MSPs are adding the $10 for HD.

Just checked and UVerse is the same.

#10 ·
sigma1914 said:
What do you mean double charging? Last I checked, all PPV events cost $10 more. NASCAR is saying charge $25 for SD, MSPs are adding the $10 for HD.

Just checked and UVerse is the same.
Cool, then like the first respondent commented, when they enter the 21st century and quit charging extra for HD, I'll start ordering. This event will be filed under the "maybe next year" category.

BTW, for comparison, I just spent 3 days, watched 6 live concerts (Staind, Third Eye Blind, Lynerd Skynrd, and three others) as well as a 45 minute live fireworks show, for $20. And stereo was included free ;)

#11 ·
"Davenlr" said:
Cool, then like the first respondent commented, when they enter the 21st century and quit charging extra for HD, I'll start ordering. This event will be filed under the "maybe next year" category.

BTW, for comparison, I just spent 3 days, watched 6 live concerts (Staind, Third Eye Blind, Lynerd Skynrd, and three others) as well as a 45 minute live fireworks show, for $20. And stereo was included free ;)
The infrastructure needed to deliver HD isn't free.

#15 ·
RunnerFL said:
It's NOT DirecTV charging the extra $10. Per http://www.preludetothedream.org/how-to-order/ it's "$24.95 (for SD)".

I wish people would stop immediately blaming DirecTV for everything...
Why do you wish this? Nothing more practical to wish for? When people write negative things about Direct TV does it somehow hurt your person? But, you really don't care so why am I even posting this. :grin:

#16 ·
I have nothing to add to the reasons why, but I do have to find it kind of funny that someone who is paying money to two different providers for TV service is going to complain about $10. Cancel your Comcast and you'd come out ahead, even paying $10 more for an "HD" broadcast.

For the record, DirecTV isn't the only provider charging "extra" for HD. My local cable company will feed the locals in HD, but if you want any of the other "extended cable" channels, you need to subscribe to their Digital Cable service for an additional $40/mo + $8/mo receiver lease ($16/mo for a DVR). It may not be a dedicated HD fee line item on your bill, but you're paying for it somewhere.

#17 ·
rmmccann said:
I have nothing to add to the reasons why, but I do have to find it kind of funny that someone who is paying money to two different providers for TV service is going to complain about $10. Cancel your Comcast and you'd come out ahead, even paying $10 more for an "HD" broadcast.
Actually not true. If you add in the internet savings, the savings from not having to pay DirecTv for the HD Extra Pak, and Sports pak channels (FSMW, FSS, FSSW,CSS) included in my Comcast package, and the fact I am on a 1 year introductory price, it would actually cost me MORE to drop Comcast.

To be fair, I am probably going to drop DirecTv next year, since Comcast here has many more HD channels I watch, and I doubt DirecTv will add them, and they are no longer offering the Free HD at DirecTv. Not in any hurry tho, have until January 2013.

#18 ·
It's just greedy practice to milk money from a customers multiple ways, hidden or open.
And sometimes just plain cheating innocent technically unaware ppl who don't know about SD and HD feeds, etc.

Tell me what is procure the additional $10 for HD vs SD when you using same feed, same equipment, same delivery infrastructure starting from field cameras and ending your STB while original feed is in HD ?

#19 ·
P Smith said:
It's just greedy practice to milk money from a customers multiple ways, hidden or open.
And sometimes just plain cheating innocent technically unaware ppl who don't know about SD and HD feeds, etc.

Tell me what is procure the additional $10 for HD vs SD when you using same feed, same equipment, same delivery infrastructure starting from field cameras and ending your STB while original feed is in HD ?
Companies are going to charge more for HD for awhile due to the costs associated with the infrastructure. In order to stay relevant people demand more HD content, especially in sports, which requires all of the companies to spend more money to get this setup.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=205621 We're already talking about upgrade costs here just for encoders and the more profitable a service is the more it is invested in.

Some day in a few years we may start to see pricing with built in HD charges but I wouldn't expect bills to go down people just won't see a separate charge.

To your point though I'm still surprised they offer SD and HD ordering options. I guess the people with SD though should be happy because if they ever chose to just make one version you can bet that it won't be the SD price.

#20 ·
Shades228 said:
Companies are going to charge more for HD for awhile due to the costs associated with the infrastructure. In order to stay relevant people demand more HD content, especially in sports, which requires all of the companies to spend more money to get this setup.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=205621 We're already talking about upgrade costs here just for encoders and the more profitable a service is the more it is invested in.

Some day in a few years we may start to see pricing with built in HD charges but I wouldn't expect bills to go down people just won't see a separate charge.

To your point though I'm still surprised they offer SD and HD ordering options. I guess the people with SD though should be happy because if they ever chose to just make one version you can bet that it won't be the SD price.
some cable systems with HD channels still don't have the PPV HD channel.

#23 ·
adkinsjm said:
I guess the satellites that carry HD programming for DirecTV just magically appeared, or the money the OP spent on HD Access over the course of a few years covered it all.
I would be willing to bet that you have as much insight into the additional cost of showing this broadcast in HD as I do. While your sarcasm is noted, it is a totally invalid response.

#24 ·
HDSC said:
I would be willing to bet that you have as much insight into the additional cost of showing this broadcast in HD as I do. While your sarcasm is noted, it is a totally invalid response.
There are some ballparks out there but to break it down there are specific satellites at the 93 and 103 locations that are dedicated to HD and the support equipment in the broadcast centers. Then you have the costs of adding the fiber lines from the uplinks. The costs are substantial and even though he used sarcasm it doesn't negate the fact that it was, and continues, to be a very large investment.

#25 ·
Shades228 said:
There are some ballparks out there but to break it down there are specific satellites at the 93 and 103 locations that are dedicated to HD and the support equipment in the broadcast centers. Then you have the costs of adding the fiber lines from the uplinks. The costs are substantial and even though he used sarcasm it doesn't negate the fact that it was, and continues, to be a very large investment.
Well I did support the Feed the Children campaign and ordered the PPV anyway. I did not participate in donating to DTV's HD system though. So you still had the fixed cost but I just ordered the SD version and it looked pretty good.

#26 ·
HDSC said:
Well I did support the Feed the Children campaign and ordered the PPV anyway. I did not participate in donating to DTV's HD system though. So you still had the fixed cost but I just ordered the SD version and it looked pretty good.
The extra $10 for the HD version wasn't for DirecTV, all providers were charging it. All providers had the same prices and all providers got the same percentage of that same price. DirecTV wasn't charging more or ripping anyone off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.