DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
AllStar
Joined
·
75 Posts
I think the C31 will have a $6 monthly fee. One reason I can think of as to why one would want a C31 over a H2x woud be that the C31 can do trick play on live tv. With the H2x, you would need to record the live show first, then start to play the recording to be able to use trick play.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
191 Posts
RAD said:
Where are you getting $12/month? Everything I've heard is $6/month for an RVU client, not $12.

Advantages of the C31 would be you have all the same functionality on the C31 that you'd have with a HD DVR. You'd have full trick play, without first having to say to record the program, DoublePlay, Pandora, playlist management, DIRECTV on Demand, smaller footprint, less power usage, doesn't take a SWiM channel and caller ID without a phone line connection are some that come to mind.
I read it as $6 fee per RVU and an additional Advanced fee of $6 per RVU. yes, the doubleplay/dvr features arnt native on the non dvr's which would be on the RVU. but at that point, why not just get another HR24? cat5/coax... still a pull. I pulled my phone line like 5 yrs ago, caller id handling sucks, heh.

EDIT: I guess my overall question was... whats the reasoning behind this pricepoint. The equip costs less, why not $3/mo? give ppl a reason to use RVU where possible. Less support time on secondary dvr's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,592 Posts
kaz said:
I read it as $6 fee per RVU and an additional Advanced fee of $6 per RVU. yes, the doubleplay/dvr features arnt native on the non dvr's which would be on the RVU. but at that point, why not just get another HR24? cat5/coax... still a pull. I pulled my phone line like 5 yrs ago, caller id handling sucks, heh.

EDIT: I guess my overall question was... whats the reasoning behind this pricepoint. The equip costs less, why not $3/mo? give ppl a reason to use RVU where possible. Less support time on secondary dvr's.
Once you have the HR34 and it's normal HD and advanced receiver fee the RVU client fee is only $6/month/client. As for the get another HR24, rumor is that the C31 will be $50 vs. the $199 HR2X fee. Yes you might be able to get a deal from DIRECTV for a HD DVR, but some don't so the C31 would be an attractive alternative.

Do I wish the RVU charge was less, yes, but as for why DIRECTV choose $6, probably because they can. Other then that no idea and I doubt the folks that know will say why.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
kaz said:
I read it as $6 fee per RVU and an additional Advanced fee of $6 per RVU. yes, the doubleplay/dvr features arnt native on the non dvr's which would be on the RVU. but at that point, why not just get another HR24? cat5/coax... still a pull. I pulled my phone line like 5 yrs ago, caller id handling sucks, heh.

EDIT: I guess my overall question was... whats the reasoning behind this pricepoint. The equip costs less, why not $3/mo? give ppl a reason to use RVU where possible. Less support time on secondary dvr's.
This is a very minor point, but you also can't set a recording to the HR34 from the HR24 right now. So, if you want to set a new series for recording, and are using the HR24, but want to keep all your series links on the HR34, you would have to go do that physically. As I stated, a minor thing.

The other reason I can think of is if you have OTA connected to the HR34, then you can access that through the C31.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
191 Posts
goofydisneydaddy said:
This is a very minor point, but you also can't set a recording to the HR34 from the HR24 right now. So, if you want to set a new series for recording, and are using the HR24, but want to keep all your series links on the HR34, you would have to go do that physically. As I stated, a minor thing.

The other reason I can think of is if you have OTA connected to the HR34, then you can access that through the C31.
Yea, thats really irritating. How can the H24 do it, but the HR24 not? we know the code is floating out there, merge it. its been like this for over a year now. I've been using the mobile app to fill that gap *lol* C31 would work good on my outside/hottub tv :)
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
25,880 Posts
kaz said:
but at that point, why not just get another HR24? cat5/coax... still a pull..
I'm pretty sure most of the widely available RVU clients support Wi-fi out of the box. Ethernet is much easier to pull, has fewer installation constraints and is useful for many more applications than RG6.
 

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
Joined
·
11,448 Posts
harsh said:
I'm pretty sure most of the widely available RVU clients support Wi-fi out of the box. Ethernet is much easier to pull, has fewer installation constraints and is useful for many more applications than RG6.
However, every Directv installer has training and experience with coax anyway, and can draw on over 17 years' worth of corporate technical experience installing and using coax. Of course, someone who's looking to criticize a provider he doesn't even use might be expected to ignore that aspect of the discussion.
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
25,880 Posts
LameLefty said:
However, every Directv installer has training and experience with coax anyway, and can draw on over 17 years' worth of corporate technical experience installing and using coax.
You'll let me know when the manufacturers begin widespread distribution of DECA capable TVs, won't you?

There was a time when most networking weenies carried the 10base2 (RG58 50ohm coax) banner proudly.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
225 Posts
C31 to debut on Aug 30 in select areas..same $6 per tv charge..ability for trick play (similar to E*, but I hear it's MUCH better)..stream to 3 rcvrs simultaneously. And one last tidbit, when AM21 is needed for locals (single unit), can stream the signal to C31 from HR34..

:D

-=K=-
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
102 Posts
kaminar said:
C31 to debut on Aug 30 in select areas..same $6 per tv charge..ability for trick play (similar to E*, but I hear it's MUCH better)..stream to 3 rcvrs simultaneously. And one last tidbit, when AM21 is needed for locals (single unit), can stream the signal to C31 from HR34..

:D

-=K=-
Couple of questions...

1) will there be a lease requirement?
2) will adding the c31 cause a programming commitment/extension?
 

·
Dad
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
kaminar said:
C31 to debut on Aug 30 in select areas..same $6 per tv charge..ability for trick play (similar to E*, but I hear it's MUCH better)..stream to 3 rcvrs simultaneously. And one last tidbit, when AM21 is needed for locals (single unit), can stream the signal to C31 from HR34..

:D

-=K=-
That would be very useful. Save the cost of an AM21. But the AM21 is limited to two OTA channels vs the HR34 can stream 3 in total. Only issue might be the AM21 is recording 1, and streaming 1 so someone could be left out.

Also I guess its streaming MPEG2 so the network has to be really good.
Maybe some day I can try it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
harsh said:
You'll let me know when the manufacturers begin widespread distribution of DECA capable TVs, won't you?

There was a time when most networking weenies carried the 10base2 (RG58 50ohm coax) banner proudly.
Why?

It won't work on your Dish system anyway.
 

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
Joined
·
11,448 Posts
harsh said:
You'll let me know when the manufacturers begin widespread distribution of DECA capable TVs, won't you?
Why? You already know every Directv installer has access to plenty of mass-produced, inexpensive DECA adapters, don't you? And of course, you already realize that they aren't needed anyway for H24/H25 or HR24/34 receivers, right? And you already know that in such installations, the only need for a standalone DECA anyway is as a bridge to the LAN, and that's not even necessary for a system that has an HR34 in it, don't you? And of course, you must realize that an RVU client from Directv would connect directly to their already-existing or normally-installed coax network directly without need for a separate DECA adapter, right?

So, I presume that you already know that your entire post was yet another strawman, right?
 

·
The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
36,634 Posts
My advice to you is... watch these pages.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
152 Posts
TBlazer07 said:
Just curious. Why would you prefer a standalone RVU box vs. an H24 or H25?
I have a H25 and it is nice with the small footprint and real fast. By the time you add the RF extender and power supply it is wire central along with the extra $35 to make the RF work. No Trick Play! I use it along with a spare swm dish for tailgating from time to time.

The H24 would be nice because it is the full package with only two wires needed but it has such a much larger footprint. I could have gone either way on this or H25. No Trick Play!

After years of DVR's, I am spoiled with the Trick Play and DVR capabilities. I am game for a $50 gamble. I want to see what it's capabilities are first before I dive in.

My speculation:
Pros: Small footprint, Trick Play, All DVR functionality and Sharing of the OTA Tuner
Cons: Not able to see the other DVR's, Full $6 a month (I personally think it should be $3) and I have a feeling that it won't have RF.
 
41 - 60 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top