DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,886 Posts
LoweBoy said:
My speculation:

Cons: Not able to see the other DVR's, Full $6 a month (I personally think it should be $3) and I have a feeling that it won't have RF.
Until more information is available, I wouldn't speculate one way or the other. I've seen nothing to suggest your cons (for or against). You might be pleasantly surprised.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,659 Posts
I'm also going to be interested in the initial pricing of the client, does it cause a new commitment, is it an accessory like AM21's that aren't covered by protection plans.
 

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
carl6 said:
Until more information is available, I wouldn't speculate one way or the other. I've seen nothing to suggest your cons (for or against). You might be pleasantly surprised.
I'm with Carl on this; I try to avoid speculating about features (or lack of features) in unannounced products. That way when the facts come out, I'll be able to make a judgment on how I like, it unspoiled by perceived shortcomings compared to the speculation. I can simply ask myself: does this {widget} have or do {whatever it is I personally want it to}. If the pros outweigh the cons, I like it. If not, I don't. Pretty simple, really. :)
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
It is barely mentioned in DTVs info. They haven't educated their agents about it and if they really wanted to there wouldn't be much stopping them from scrapping it and waiting for a C32. The limited beta testing will probably be several months of only being available to a handfull of areas or groups, just like with the HR34. Which is probably a good thing, because new releases tend to be REALLY glitchy; most likely the reason HR34 was released by itself, aside from being quite a handfull to understand and explain.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
33 Posts
amenic said:
It is barely mentioned in DTVs info. They haven't educated their agents about it and if they really wanted to there wouldn't be much stopping them from scrapping it and waiting for a C32. The limited beta testing will probably be several months of only being available to a handfull of areas or groups, just like with the HR34. Which is probably a good thing, because new releases tend to be REALLY glitchy; most likely the reason HR34 was released by itself, aside from being quite a handfull to understand and explain.
Did you not read stuart's post? Hes posting a first look coming up here in a few days. 99% they're not gonna scrap it now.
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
25,456 Posts
harsh said:
You'll let me know when the manufacturers begin widespread distribution of DECA capable TVs, won't you?
hdtvfan0001 said:
Because that will be the time that the DECA fanboys (and DIRECTV apologists) can claim that DECA can be used across the board. Until then, some sort of adapter must be used to change media to CAT5 or WiFi -- the widely deployed networking technologies of today.

I've never been a big fan of reasoning that DIRECTV installers aren't capable of anything but RG6.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
harsh said:
Because that will be the time that the DECA fanboys (and DIRECTV apologists) can claim that DECA can be used across the board. Until then, some sort of adapter must be used to change media to CAT5 or WiFi -- the widely deployed networking technologies of today.

I've never been a big fan of reasoning that DIRECTV installers aren't capable of anything but RG6.
So as a Dish sub, how are your installers handling this?
Hasn't Dish also gone to MoCA?

Basically you're asking an installer & the customer service people to become proficient with:

  1. Coax
  2. Ethernet
  3. WiFi
So you want your auto mechanic to also service your washing machine too?
Maybe your Doctor can take a look at you home plumbing while he's at it too? :confused: :nono:
 

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
harsh said:
Because that will be the time that the DECA fanboys (and DIRECTV apologists) can claim that DECA can be used across the board. Until then, some sort of adapter must be used to change media to CAT5 or WiFi -- the widely deployed networking technologies of today.
You're repeating yourself, and I've already responded to this point on August 15, which you sidestepped with a poorly-disguised strawman argument.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=3076970#post3076970

Thanks for playing our game. We have some lovely parting gifts for you.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
234 Posts
harsh said:
I've never been a big fan of reasoning that DIRECTV installers aren't capable of anything but RG6.
Why would they? The vast majority of homes do not have Cat5/6 pre-ran to each room, but many have coax. DECA allows the existing wires to be reused without having to run new lines.

It is simpler and less time consuming to run 1 coax to a room instead of coax and twisted pair.

Since the homes with both is such a rare situation, it just doesn't make sense to support a fringe situation. Supporting it would mean additional training and material costs. It would also rely too much on customer equipment.
 

·
The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
37,060 Posts
Actually, RG6 cable is a really robust way of getting data across any building. 10BaseT (and later 100BaseT and 1000BaseT) didn't take off because it was better, but because it was cheaper. At the time (and I was there) every building was prewired with tons of twisted pair for telephone use. 10BaseT could go through telephone conduits while coax couldn't.

Now what we're seeing is that networking in the home can work over coax or UTP and really, UTP isn't that enticing for most homeowners at this point. It's just another expense and most folks are just as happy with wi-fi.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,119 Posts
I remember when the first Ethernet over twisted pair solution arrived (LatticeNet) - a lot of installations still used coax as the backbone between LatticeNet hubs. A number of buildings were wired with thick Ethernet (10Base5) coax cable (RG-8) in the elevator shafts, with vampire taps running DIX (Digital, Intel, Xerox) cable back to managed hubs. Coaxial cable is superior, as a networking cable, to twisted pair in almost every way except cost.

I would submit that the "widely deployed networking technologies" of today in most homes are WiFi and coax, not UTP.
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
25,456 Posts
veryoldschool said:
So as a Dish sub, how are your installers handling this?
Hasn't Dish also gone to MoCA?
DISH can use MoCA where it is easier, but it is NOT required. The Joeys run just fine off of the other technologies.
Basically you're asking an installer & the customer service people to become proficient with:

  1. Coax
  2. Ethernet
  3. WiFi
So you want your auto mechanic to also service your washing machine too?
Maybe your Doctor can take a look at you home plumbing while he's at it too? :confused: :nono:
It isn't like the difference between gasoline and diesel power. For its part, Ethernet is a very simple current loop setup and WiFi either works or it doesn't. If an installer gets hung up in passwords, they probably shouldn't be installing.
 

·
The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
37,060 Posts
This thread has gone off topic and the initial question has obviously been answered. If there are additional questions please feel free to start additional threads.
 
61 - 74 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top