DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I am in the process of finally getting a cell phone. I would like to get rid of my verizon landline phone system and just go with a cell phone for my phone service in house as well. My question is - can I still subscribe to Direct tv without a phone line plugged in. I know you don't have to have you line plugged in all the time but can I even continue with Directv with just a cell phone system? Thanks a lot...

·
Banned
614 Posts
bobsox said:
Hi: I am in the process of finally getting a cell phone. I would like to get rid of my verizon landline phone system and just go with a cell phone for my phone service in house as well. My question is - can I still subscribe to Direct tv without a phone line plugged in. I know you don't have to have you line plugged in all the time but can I even continue with Directv with just a cell phone system? Thanks a lot...
It may be possible to configure your cell phone to attach to the receiver and dial out, it may be complicated to do it however. It is not mandatory to have a receiver hooked up to a phone line.:sure:

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
both sat companies really need to look into upgrading their equipment to having ethernet network capability.. or even better - wireless. With ip phones becoming more popular many people do not need phone lines anymore, but they do have broadband. Any 'updates' can go over the internet... Ahh, but if you have a cable modem, you probably have cable tv right ? DSL and SAT for me...

Bec

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
BecTech said:
both sat companies really need to look into upgrading their equipment to having ethernet network capability.. or even better - wireless. With ip phones becoming more popular many people do not need phone lines anymore, but they do have broadband. Any 'updates' can go over the internet... Ahh, but if you have a cable modem, you probably have cable tv right ? DSL and SAT for me...
Hopefully they'll make this an option once the ethernet port becomes activated on the HR20.

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
With the new receivers and DVRs you don't need any phone connection, unless you want to order PPV movies with your remote control (which you can do from DirecTV's web site for no added cost). Ethernet functionality would be great for things like moving recordings to your PC or another DVR, but you don't need it for Guide Data and such because those things are delivered with the satellite data.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the replys. That's great that it will work w/o phone line. I don;t order any PPV anyway.

·
Legend
105 Posts
litzdog911 said:
With the new receivers and DVRs you don't need any phone connection, unless you want to order PPV movies with your remote control (which you can do from DirecTV's web site for no added cost). Ethernet functionality would be great for things like moving recordings to your PC or another DVR, but you don't need it for Guide Data and such because those things are delivered with the satellite data.
Usually would bring a receiver to my summer cabin out on the lake and do not have any landline available and would leave it there for 4 or 5 mos. I would order PPV through my remote until I get call ext. 731 (me thinks: Purchase Limit exceeded). Would bring home and have it call in and that resolves the issue. Now, can I use a VOIP service to have it call in, if a land line is not available.?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
12,863 Posts
VOIP may or may not work. Depends on a variety of issues, but in general analog modem signals through a VOIP phone don't work very well.

Carl

·
Godfather
268 Posts
LDLemu4U said:
Usually would bring a receiver to my summer cabin out on the lake and do not have any landline available and would leave it there for 4 or 5 mos. I would order PPV through my remote until I get call ext. 731 (me thinks: Purchase Limit exceeded). Would bring home and have it call in and that resolves the issue. Now, can I use a VOIP service to have it call in, if a land line is not available.?

Thanks in advance!
Problem is late fees...a friend of mine told me a story of a guy who had not connected his reciever to a line since the second day...they told him that he needed to connect it to a phone line so they could deactivate it before he upgraded his hardware, they saw that someone had ordered a PPV movei, they hit him with a $3 PPV charge which he wasnt happy with because no one, so he said, even ordered it, but would just eat it... untill they hit him with the late fee, a $70 late fee for a PPV alagedly ordered 11 months earlier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.