DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Directv.com they have had a little graph heading for a while showing the number of HD channels DISH has and the number they have.
Well since Dish added its new hd channels Directv removed them and had Cable and Verizon, now with the new additions today, they put Dish back, with the DISH total saying "Barely over 100" and Directv "Over 130".

They also had a COMPARE page that once Dish added HD, they put DIRECTV Vs VERIZON.

Im very disapointed with the new HD channels, Why do we need so many HD PPVs?
Give us more basic channels in HD. WGNHD, LIFETIME HD, HALLMARK HD, OUTDOOR HD and so on.

· Registered
31,115 Posts
jamieh1 said:
On Directv.com they have had a little graph heading for a while showing the number of HD channels DISH has and the number they have.
Well since Dish added its new hd channels Directv removed them and had Cable and Verizon, now with the new additions today, they put Dish back, with the DISH total saying "Barely over 100" and Directv "Over 130".

They also had a COMPARE page that once Dish added HD, they put DIRECTV Vs VERIZON.

Give us more basic channels in HD. WGNHD, LIFETIME HD, HALLMARK HD, OUTDOOR HD and so on.
Two words that fit all of these channel counts...

Marketing Spin. :D

· Charter Gold Club Member
22,099 Posts
"My HD channel count is bigger than (not then) your HD channel count!"

But in reality, how many of the total HD channels do you really watch?

· Legend
147 Posts
jamieh1 said:
From what I understand reading some of the other topics, is that adding the PPVs essentially gives them "place holders" for the future HD channels. I recall one of the posts in another topic by Satellite Racer or someone else saying it is much quicker to slide a new HD channel into a slot that's already operating a channel, rather than to have to fire one up from scratch. I'm sure someone else will chime in if this is not the case.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
jamieh1 said:
Part of the issue is that many channels aren't available in HD yet at all. PPV channels can be easily deleted as more networks convert to HD, but for now, there is at least *something* on those transponders in HD to watch if you want.

Also, there are always carriage agreements to be worked out. Some channels are giving exclusives for a period of time, and others just need various contractual issues resolved first.

It's not like DirecTV has maxed out their existing capacity. The fact is that DirecTV has been a primary industry "pusher" to get the networks to convert to HD. Many networks continue to drag their feet, and the process usually takes at least a full year for a network to convert, not to mention many millions of dollars in new equipment that they have to spend, plus a requirement to continue maintaining the old equipment. It isn't as easy as many folks think...

· Hall Of Fame
1,115 Posts
ChrisQ said:
I agree with this.

I don't care if Directv only has 5 channels in HD, as long as they are the 5 I watch.
That's rather selfish of you. Most cable systems have more than 5 channels. Does that mean most cable systems HD are the equal to DirecTV? Simply because you have the channels you want in HD, doesn't mean other people shouldn't complain about not receiving the channels they want. In fact, it suggests the opposite. It shows that five channels one way or the other can make a huge difference.

· Slacker
623 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
Selfish or not....I suspect there are alot of people who would have to admit to thinking this way if put under oath. :D
Agreed, while there may be a large group that want's to see Basket Weaving in HD and are disapointed DirecTV did not had it, as long as they have the channels I want to watch, I personally will be happy with them. That said there are a few I would not mind seeing added :)

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
2,463 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
Selfish or not....I suspect there are alot of people who would have to admit to thinking this way if put under oath. :D
True, and that's why DirecTV has the HD channel mix it does. Your favorite five may not be my favorite five, which may not be Doug's favorite five, and so on.

· AllStar
70 Posts
Rakul said:
Agreed, while there may be a large group that want's to see Basket Weaving in HD and are disapointed DirecTV did not had it, as long as they have the channels I want to watch, I personally will be happy with them. That said there are a few I would not mind seeing added :)
This is one of the reasons i have not purchased a HD set. I am satisfied with my five year old Sony XBR and i just cannot believe how much you people have paid for the HD experience. I am sixty years of age so I remember as a child when the first Color TV sets came out. Stupid high prices. My father waited until the cost to own one made sense. So you guys pay extra each and every month for HD not counting what you paid for the HD TV? Me, I'll wait until it makes sense.

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
lonewoolf said:
Stupid high prices. My father waited until the cost to own one made sense.
Mine did, too. Picked one up at a garage sale for $2.00. That thing worked for years.

Me, I balanced the cost to own against what value I saw in enjoying my entertainment and the fruits of my labor. I don't think either way is wrong if you can afford it.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
Yes, but when it comes time to making the payment each month, you're not really going to worry too much about MY favorites as opposed to YOUR favorites, now are you?

· RIP
6,203 Posts
lonewoolf said:
This is one of the reasons i have not purchased a HD set. I am satisfied with my five year old Sony XBR and i just cannot believe how much you people have paid for the HD experience. I am sixty years of age so I remember as a child when the first Color TV sets came out. Stupid high prices. My father waited until the cost to own one made sense. So you guys pay extra each and every month for HD not counting what you paid for the HD TV? Me, I'll wait until it makes sense.
When does it make sense? I can understand you not wanting to spend the money on HD...there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Some people work very hard and enjoy TV and/or have family that enjoy TV. They spend the money on HD sets and programming because it is what they enjoy. You may choose to spend your money (or save it) on other things you deem more important. That's great...but to infer that buying an HD TV(s) or HD programming doesn't make sense...well, that's just utter NONsense.

· Hall Of Fame
1,876 Posts
lonewoolf said:
Damn kids -- get off my lawn!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.