DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Hall Of Famer
1,866 Posts
The only thing I want from Directv DVR's is transferable EHD's instead of EHD married to one DVR, I know is off topic but it would make changing DVR's a lot smoother with recordings intact, As far as adding apps that other non-Directv's TiVo's have is not gonna happen since that's competition to pay tv service.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,725 Posts
inkahauts said:
They have to advertise, its in their contract.

And I still have never seen that no updates even to fix bugs on it press release. Thats on tivo to do anyway...

We will see what happens when 2017 hits I guess, to see if they try again with an updated version. I wish they'd do it now. They will both innovate more if they are both available.
Just to clarify, there was one update not long after the release....01B5. This fixed some bugs and added back one back door SPS code (30 sec skip) after DirecTV mandated all of them be stripped. Even the clock in lower right hand corner was removed per DirecTV for whatever reason.

TiVo was well aware of the HR34 Genie while fine tuning the software on the THR22 and developing the Roamio, but DirecTV was never going to authorize more than a 2-tuner HD DirecTiVo compete with their own branded DVR, plus it was not in the contract from years ago.

I support both companies, and my 70+ year old parents love the THR22 I gave them last month after using series 2 DirecTiVo's for the last 8 years. I have no TiVo's left on my DirecTV account. Since DirecTV has the final say on software updates, I would not hold my breath on another update for the THR22, unless someone changes the daylight savings schedule in the future like in recent history. :)

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
On the TiVo Community Forum There is a posting that D* isn't supporting the THR22 anymore and they don't has spares to replace failed units.
That makes the THR22 a very short lived platform.
I know that this is wishfull thinking, but wouldn't it be nice if they were migrateing the TiVo software to a later box?....not!
The good thing about the THR22 is that if the hard drive fails, it is a no brainer to install a new drive and get it back up and running, don't have to load an opperating system of configure the drive at all, the box does all the work.
Now, if someone could hack the drive so it could be copyed to a larger drive and maintain the recordings, one could make a backup drive so you wouldn't loose your recordings.
When the HR10-250 came out, Hackers were quick to jump on it and devlope software to do just that.
I find it interesting that the hacking community never tried to develop any software to copy and expand the drive. Too bad.
WeaKnees still has THR22-100's in stock; standard and upgraded hard drives.

·
Super Moderator
53,875 Posts
The website does warn that the receivers will be added as leased. There are some retailers who have had trouble getting AT&T|DIRECTV to activate the receivers they sell. Good luck.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,725 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,409 Posts
the model is not stopped supporting, FW is updating - see FW monitor site
In the past, firmware firmware updates have sometimes promised little more than dealing with a daylight saving event.

Putting a bandaid on something isn't necessarily something to celebrate.

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
No one ever went into much detail about the THR22, it was touted by dtv because They had it. But it was soon forgotten because it was just clunky n slow. Plus dtv was focusing on saving the poorly engineered HRxx platform.

My two owned THR22's are still rockin in 2022! The software sucks but it was never TiVo's fault.
Being part of the beta test team DirecTV clearly gave TiVo a ****ty and under powered platform to configure the TiVo software to. They clearly put TiVo in a corner. From what I seen the UI from the 10-250 was used as it is clearly standard definition.
Big things were planned for the THR22 like swivel search and kids zone but things kept having to be removed because the cpu just couldn't keep up, it caused too much lag, hanging and freezing etc.
I'm guessing TiVo signed the contract just to remain with DirecTV for the future thinking they could make it work, unknowing how slow and bad the HRxx platform truly was.

TiVo did all the removing and tweaking they could possibly do staying within the narrow lines that dtv gave them.
I think if the dvr could have been overclocked some it may have helped, but would have probably reduced stability.

I've run mine trouble free with a WD 2tb green drive and got about 7 - 8 years out of a hard drive. It pauses every once in a while and has a few studders but it beats the hell outta DirecTV's UI.

These are owned as TiVo transfered ownership at the end of the testing, so I will keep using them as long as they run and I keep Directv.

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,725 Posts
No one ever went into much detail about the THR22, it was touted by dtv because They had it. But it was soon forgotten because it was just clunky n slow. Plus dtv was focusing on saving the poorly engineered HRxx platform.

My two owned THR22's are still rockin in 2022! The software sucks but it was never TiVo's fault.
Being part of the beta test team DirecTV clearly gave TiVo a ****ty and under powered platform to configure the TiVo software to. They clearly put TiVo in a corner. From what I seen the UI from the 10-250 was used as it is clearly standard definition.
Big things were planned for the THR22 like swivel search and kids zone but things kept having to be removed because the cpu just couldn't keep up, it caused too much lag, hanging and freezing etc.
I'm guessing TiVo signed the contract just to remain with DirecTV for the future thinking they could make it work, unknowing how slow and bad the HRxx platform truly was.

TiVo did all the removing and tweaking they could possibly do staying within the narrow lines that dtv gave them.
I think if the dvr could have been overclocked some it may have helped, but would have probably reduced stability.

I've run mine trouble free with a WD 2tb green drive and got about 7 - 8 years out of a hard drive. It pauses every once in a while and has a few studders but it beats the hell outta DirecTV's UI.

These are owned as TiVo transfered ownership at the end of the testing, so I will keep using them as long as they run and I keep Directv.
Just read your post- I technically still have mine from the Beta testing too, but I gave it to my mother who still uses it many hours a day at age 82. That was after testing ended in summer of 2013. I was pretty active in that Beta. The IRD didn’t have the pretty front bezel that DirecTV subs got once it was released into the wild- it still has the TiVo service number on a sticker on the front bezel of the stock HR22 IRD.

I did the same as you though- tossed a WD Green 2TB drive in it when I gave it to her in 2013 and it’s been filled up since (recordings auto delete to make more room for new ones). It’s lasted 9 years now- unbelievable.

I also still have the TiVo Best Buy/Insignia TV for that Beta test they shipped me towards the end of the DirecTV Coyote Beta and it still works fine except the Chumby apps are of course long gone. That was fun doing two Betas at once for a short period of time but a lot of work, with all of the homework! Thankfully they let me keep the 32” TV too.

Good times, thanks for posting and reliving the memories. 👍

41 - 57 of 57 Posts