DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
4,997 Posts
Yeah we all hear things will change. They are answering on Twitter though. on hold for 8 mins now since they asked why
Anyone thinking something would change is delusional. The Directv website is quite clear that they are still a ATT Company... ATT nor TPG never mentioned change

Reactions: gio12

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
DTVS is the same anti-christ AT&T is!
The real issue here is that while DIRECTV is theoretically an independent operation, they're still contracting with AT&T for many of their customer-interactive services (Account Management, Customer Service and possibly much of the in-home service calls). I'm sure they would love to be out from under AT&T's thumb to the extent that they were able but that's an expensive proposition.

Just to port the data back to the old Accounts system may be cost prohibitive depending on how significant the changes to the software and its underpinnings were made.

Fortunately for you, you're not bound up in a programming commitment as those who subscribe to DIRECTV's satellite service might be.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
They they offered my CHOICE for $54 for one year now.
Going to stay for now.
Price is perfect
Wow. The regular monthly price for Choice is now $90 (or will be going up to that any day now). So you're getting a whopping 40% discount for a full year with no contract forcing you to stay! Great deal.

Given everything I've read about the cable TV industry, I don't think there's any way that their profit margin is that big, meaning they have to be losing money on you in order to keep you from leaving. I guess TPG is desperate to keep their subscriber count up in order to maximize their sale price in those negotiations they're reportedly having with DISH.

·
Icon
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow. The regular monthly price for Choice is now $90 (or will be going up to that any day now). So you're getting a whopping 40% discount for a full year with no contract forcing you to stay! Great deal.

Given everything I've read about the cable TV industry, I don't think there's any way that their profit margin is that big, meaning they have to be losing money on you in order to keep you from leaving. I guess TPG is desperate to keep their subscriber count up in order to maximize their sale price in those negotiations they're reportedly having with DISH.
Yes, why I stayed at least for a fee months. If I don’t use as much, then I will cancel. But its a great rate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Yes, why I stayed at least for a fee months. If I don’t use as much, then I will cancel. But its a great rate
A huge discount on a relatively expensive product is still a big chunk of change.

·
Icon
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A huge discount on a relatively expensive product is still a big chunk of change.
$54 for every channel I want/need is a fIr chunk.
I don’t need regular service except for Ballys, ESPN, USA since NBC Sports is shutting down and maybe 2-3 more.
For under $60 is worth it for now, or until Fall.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
I don’t need regular service except for Ballys, ESPN, USA since NBC Sports is shutting down and maybe 2-3 more.
I suspect that Bally's is always going to be a tough nut to crack (assuming it survives). Sinclair is way out on a number of rather spindly limbs.

Outside of local channels, I wonder if direct subscriptions might not be cheaper (though almost certainly less convenient). It seems like Peacock Premium might cover some of your NBC needs.

Five dollars here, seven dollars there and it all adds up but it may still pencil out if saving money trumps all else.

·
Icon
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I suspect that Bally's is always going to be a tough nut to crack (assuming it survives). Sinclair is way out on a number of rather spindly limbs.

Outside of local channels, I wonder if direct subscriptions might not be cheaper (though almost certainly less convenient). It seems like Peacock Premium might cover some of your NBC needs.

Five dollars here, seven dollars there and it all adds up but it may still pencil out if saving money trumps all else.
I have Peacock via Comcast.
I have a OTA and a TiVo Bolt for local.
Might not want need Ballys until fall. Concern is about INDY car racing and why I need DTVS or YTTV.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Concern is about INDY car racing and why I need DTVS or YTTV.
Looking at the 2022 schedule, it appears that there are only two USA Network covered races that you're not already covered for (Belle Isle and World Wide Technology Raceway). 14 of 17 races appear to be NBC broadcasts.

I wonder if those USA Network races might not show up on Peacock as replays anyway. Shielding oneself from Indycar results isn't a huge burden.

Reactions: gio12

·
1,135 Posts

i bet there trying to make DTV and the DTV stream look good in there share holders eyes. wich in turn there bending over backwards doing what it takes to keep subs!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts