• Wait and see what develops

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • If movies is your top priority, you should really go to FIOS

Votes: 23 46.9%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Legend
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks back, there was a post from a sub switching from FiOs to DirectV.

Here is that thread:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=138364&highlight=Fios

I am in the reverse situation and I think the landscape changed a lot since then. I have been a DirecTV subscriber for 6 years. I am thinking of going to FiOS. As a statement of loyalty, I am willing to wait 6 months before I decide.

Current state: Premier with HD-extra pack, one HD-DVR, one other DVR, one other HD box. No Sports subscriptions. Would do ST if football wasn't on Sundays only. Would do EI if it was cheaper. Would do the NBA if this was the 80s and 90s. Would do Setanta if it was in HD. Would do the NHL if it was soccer. Would kill for soccer in HD. Current bill $130-ish.
Interests in decreasing order: movies>sports (soccer, NFL, MLB, Tennis, NBA. I don't care much for college sports)>top TV dramas>good documentaries>French programming>

What is attracting me to Fios:
- The Widest Premium channel package in HD I have ever seen: 30+ HBO and Cinemax!

Other reasons I am considering leaving:
- Directv will probably never get that package. Too expensive or it's not their focus
- I am satisfied with the Sports I can get without a special subscription
- I already have Fios for internet. It is really fast
- It might be easier for me to get programming on my PC and on my PSP if I have Fios
- Directv will offer a French language channel as soon as they get one in Klingon. Fios has one.
- PQ is at least as good
- Better VOD
- Tired of e-mailing about the same thing for 3 years (More cinemax channels -I'd take SD; one French channel) and getting same dumb answers.
- Could save a bit by bundling TV, internet and phone

Reasons I am considering staying:
- Can't really complain about DTV otherwise
- DTV is a TV first outfit. They should know what they are doing better than Verizon
- Will miss some of the proprietary stuff: Mix channels for tennis and Olympics.
- The leader in Sports will probably be the first to bring European league soccer in HD to the US
- Verizon charges more for DVRs and there are taxes on top
- DTV website whips verizon
- VZ more likely to mess up my bill
- Hoping someday I will find something to watch on all the out-of-market RSDs

So there you have it. Challenge my arguments, support them , offer insight and angles I did not think about. Say that you don't care and that I should have left already whatever. Have fun with this.

· RIP
6,203 Posts
Go with the provider that offers you the programming you want at the best price. I'd like to say you should include quality of customer service in the equation, but there is no company in their industry with customer service worthy of consideration.

· Legend
145 Posts
Have you actually had a chance to test drive their DVR, check out their guide behavior, etc? I don't know about your fios, specifically, but I recently set up all the TVs, including two HD DVRs, for my daughter in a new house. For various reasons, she decided to go with cable instead of satellite, even though she had Dish in her old house.

I thought that the human engineering on the cable HD DVR (Comcast/Motorola's newest) totally sucked. Everything about the guide seemed clunky, slow and loaded with ads compared to Direct. Ditto for setting up recordings, accessing them, deleting them, etc. I couldn't have lived with it after using my HR20's.

Also, these Motorola DVRs still don't have the ability to use an external hard disk, so you're limited to storing a very small number of HD programs. (It has a port for an external disk, but checking some cable forums, no operator seems to have activated that port yet, supposedly for DRM reasons.)

Maybe none of this applies to the fios service you're contemplating, but I'd make sure before you commit to a switch.

· Registered
24,404 Posts
I look at PQ and programing first.. then pricing... I expect Fios to jump in price as time goes on, more and more, where I think Directv will stay a slow and steady increase...

I think you will see all the Premium HD stations before your six month period is up, so you may have better information by then...

· Cool Member
27 Posts
I've been with D* since 1994 and live in a FiOS area. My internet is FiOS and phone is Vonage. Since you already have FiOS, sign up for the TV service for a couple months but don't take any special deals so you're not under contract. You can then decide for yourself. I did this myself and canceled my service after two months no questions asked and no termination fees. I'm in a Big Ten area so I would never go to FiOS because they do not show the overflow games. I also subscribe to EI for the Dodgers.

As to some of your questions....

- I don't think the FiOS DVR is as nice as D*'s. Also I think D* is putting more resources to their internal hardware development. I doubt Verizon will provide PC integration any time soon for the average Joe.

- Do you really think there's more programming on HBO/Cinemax by adding more HD channels or is it duplicates of 10-20 year old movies? In this area you're probably better served with Blu Ray or DVD (NetFlix) for recent content.

- Put your phone on FiOS and save money with a double play package.

- If you want European soccer, you're probably better off waiting for D*. I'm not a soccer of cricket fan but aren't both available on D* for certain leagues?

- I don't think you'll notice a difference with HD picture quality. There's a definite difference with the SD quality but I watch very little SD any more. It's HD or nothing for me.

Just my two cents...

· Legend
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dcowboy7 said:
nfl sunday ticket.
I understand that ST is the ace in the hole, but I don't subscribe to it. I like NFL quite a bit, but I know that I won't be able to get the value out of it primarily because I can't dedicate the entire 1-8pm slot every sunday to football. There is a lot of soccer too at that time , I go to Church at 12:30pm and have a family meal tradition.

If there was some kind of a la carte ST, or pay-per-game, I could see myself looking forward to a key matchup.

DTV cannot bank on ST to be the only differentiator.

But while we are on the topic, let me throw this at you: Is there a key value from ST outside of the Sunday?

· Hall Of Fame
1,120 Posts
The 2 reasons I have to stay is :
Directv2PC has been in CE for a long time now, I haven't heard about anything like that with FIOS.

The whole CE program. I havent' even heard of anything like this with any other company.

I wonder, with 30+HBO movies channels, is there much, if anything, on them that you would want to watch that is NOT covered by any of the channels offered by Directv? Having 30 movie channels doesn't necessarily mean having more movies worth watching. If there is, and that's what's important to you, then by all means, switch.

I stay with Directv because they offer great programming in HD (I wont' get in any discussion over HD LIte/mpeg blah blah blah, it really doesn't make a difference on any normal set if you sit at a normal distance from the TV), and the CE program here. And Sunday TIcket, but that is becoming too expensive, and less of an option.

But, realistically, this is your TV. If Directv offers what you want on TV, and it sounds like they don't quite meat all your desires, then consider switching. However, consider what programming is actually on the channels, not just the channel count itself. If some new provider came out with 300 channels, and they were tings like the Pain Drying Network, sure, they could be the "HD LEADER", "MOST HD CHANNELS", but so what? It really about quality, not just quantity.

· Hall Of Fame
1,120 Posts
karlhenri said:
But while we are on the topic, let me throw this at you: Is there a key value from ST outside of the Sunday?
The short cuts, or whatever they are ecalled. Condensed versions available during the week. Otherwise, no, nothing offered outside of Sunday.

One other thing to consider: Having the NFL Network does NOT mean getting the games. My family in Toledo on Buckeye Cable has NFLN, but they don't get to see the games, apparently, it's not in the contract, or costs Buckeye Cable more, or something like that.

· Legend
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ProfLonghair said:
The 2 reasons I have to stay is :
Directv2PC has been in CE for a long time now, I haven't heard about anything like that with FIOS.

The whole CE program. I havent' even heard of anything like this with any other company.
Direct2pc: Can you say more about what that feature is? I don't know if CE participants can say more about it

I wonder, with 30+HBO movies channels, is there much, if anything, on them that you would want to watch that is NOT covered by any of the channels offered by Directv? Having 30 movie channels doesn't necessarily mean having more movies worth watching. If there is, and that's what's important to you, then by all means, switch.
HBO and Cinemax. Not just any HD channel. I like what they are showing already in SD. It just annoys me that DTv has been stuck on the 3 cinemax for so damn long even in SD.

· AllStar
91 Posts
As a fellow NY'er I think you will not like the fact that MSG and MSG+ are NOT in HD with Fios. You can probably thank James Dolan of Cablebvision for that. i see you value sports somewhat, and the no HD is a huge minus.

· Legend
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tko said:
I've been with D* since 1994 and live in a FiOS area. My internet is FiOS and phone is Vonage. Since you already have FiOS, sign up for the TV service for a couple months but don't take any special deals so you're not under contract. You can then decide for yourself. I did this myself and canceled my service after two months no questions asked and no termination fees.
I like that option.

- I don't think the FiOS DVR is as nice as D*'s. Also I think D* is putting more resources to their internal hardware development. I doubt Verizon will provide PC integration any time soon for the average Joe.
Good point on the HD-DVR. But aren't those systems Tivo compatible?

Also, can you say more about the PC integration? Which feature are you referring to?

· Hall Of Fame
1,120 Posts
karlhenri said:
Direct2pc: Can you say more about what that feature is? I don't know if CE participants can say more about it.
Check out the CE forums. It's open to anyone registered on this site. And, I think we're not supposed to talk about it outside the forums, so just check it out there. Sorry.

karlhenri said:
HBO and Cinemax. Not just any HD channel. I like what they are showing already in SD. It just annoys me that DTv has been stuck on the 3 cinemax for so damn long even in SD.
Right, but, does either of these apply:

1) Directv HBO/Cinemax does not have enough movies to keep you happy
2) FioS HBO/Cinemax offers movies the Directv HBO/Cinemax does not, that would make you happy

· Legend
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JoeS said:
As a fellow NY'er I think you will not like the fact that MSG and MSG+ are NOT in HD with Fios. You can probably thank James Dolan of Cablebvision for that. i see you value sports somewhat, and the no HD is a huge minus.
Good catch. I did not notice that. Yes, Sports is # 2 in my book. #1 when it comes to big events (Playoffs, World Cup, Olympics , Tennis Opens etc.)

· Cool Member
27 Posts
karlhenri said:
Good point on the HD-DVR. But aren't those systems Tivo compatible?

Also, can you say more about the PC integration? Which feature are you referring to?
You can use Tivo with increased expense.

As to PC integration... I was responding to your initial conclusion that it might be easier to get programming on your computer/PSP with FiOS. The only thing you'll receive through a QAM tuner on a computer with FiOS are the locals. D* will be faster to market with some type of PC viewing with their Direct2PC product.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.