Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comcast to Launch New HD Channel

Beginning in January, the new network will simulcast Golf Channel programming by day and Versus (formerly OLN) content by night. Comcast, which owns both networks, plans to call the channel Golf Channel/Versus.

The channel will join Comcast's lineup of networks consisting of E!, Style, Golf Channel, Versus, G4 and regional sports outlets. Comcast has a commitment from DirecTV to start carrying the new channel some time next year. Comcast will gradually begin rolling out the new network on its own systems starting in January, a Versus executive said.
See the rest of the story at: TV Week

Note: Story found via www.tvpredictions.com

·
Banned
4,231 Posts
I wish I could get ONN on sat..... (Ohio News Network), it is statewide on cable.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,411 Posts
At the very least, this confirms that INHD2 is going away.

I've been seeing letterboxed content show up on a number of channels lately, so this may be a popular inroads into offering HD. The problem is that the SD programming suffers from being miniaturized on conventional televisions while the HD channel will likely deliver a lot of upconverted SD material. At least they are providing an outlet.

The question that remains is what are they going to broadcast overnight.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
Great news for NHL & PGA/LPGA fans, of which I'm neither.

·
Banned
614 Posts
harsh said:
At the very least, this confirms that INHD2 is going away.

I've been seeing letterboxed content show up on a number of channels lately, so this may be a popular inroads into offering HD. The problem is that the SD programming suffers from being miniaturized on conventional televisions while the HD channel will likely deliver a lot of upconverted SD material. At least they are providing an outlet.

The question that remains is what are they going to broadcast overnight.
I don't think the article specified that DirecTV will be getting InHD. Does anybody have any info about that?:confused:

·
Mentor
40 Posts
bidger said:
Great news for NHL & PGA/LPGA fans, of which I'm neither.
Well, I think the real problem here is that if they only carry Golf Channel from noon to 7pm, that means they probably won't be showing the Natalie Gulbis show in HD, and that would definately be a draw! :)

Seriously though, this makes me happy. I bought my HDTV partly to watch golf and in the 3 weeks I have had it, all the golf I have seen is in SD, except for about 1 hour. I think Golf Channel will also be having further coverage of the PGA next year as part of the FedEx Cup-- normally Golf Channel usually is showing Champions (which is great), or Nationwide (so-so), or European (blah). Here is hoping that there is more extensive coverage of PGA and LPGA.

As far as hockey- I have not been a fan since the strike, but watching some NHL on one of the HD channels last night might make me a fan again.

·
Icon
714 Posts
mlyle said:
Well, I think the real problem here is that if they only carry Golf Channel from noon to 7pm, that means they probably won't be showing the Natalie Gulbis show in HD, and that would definately be a draw! :)

Seriously though, this makes me happy. I bought my HDTV partly to watch golf and in the 3 weeks I have had it, all the golf I have seen is in SD, except for about 1 hour. I think Golf Channel will also be having further coverage of the PGA next year as part of the FedEx Cup-- normally Golf Channel usually is showing Champions (which is great), or Nationwide (so-so), or European (blah). Here is hoping that there is more extensive coverage of PGA and LPGA.

As far as hockey- I have not been a fan since the strike, but watching some NHL on one of the HD channels last night might make me a fan again.
I am a golf fan and an ex-hockey fan just like you. I am pretty excited. Even if the golf games are in SD, it still looks better on HD channels. When the weekday games are broadcasted on USA, the watered down resolution makes it really hard to see the ball in flight or any bit of green undulation. It's better when ESPN-HD broadcast the SD games. This is great news, giving that PGA Tour is moving many games to the Golf Channel.

·
Legend
155 Posts
I also wish we had more PPV-HD movies. I would order more than I do if D* would provide these

·
Mentor
32 Posts
Comcast Sportsnet Philly is the only channel that I don't get on D* that I wish I had.

If I remember what I read about a month ago, our great leaders in congress allowed Comcast to keep Sportsnet Philly to stay "in house" and only shown on Comcast. This was in exchange for Comcast showing MBL Nationals broadcast in the Balt / DC areas.

It's funny how the government gets involved and says you must show and/or release your programing in one area and then turns around and allows you to keep your "monopoly" in another area.

Go figure.

·
4 Posts
John Buckingham said:
I would really love to see more PPV-HD movies. I think if you pay to see a movie you should expect DD/Letterbox/High-Def. Maybe it just me?

John Buckingham
It's not just you, John. I too would like to see PPV-HD movies as an offering.

Dick Devereaux (DANDY DICK) ....also a new user.

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
mlyle said:
Up until now, the only professional golf that has been broadcast in HD has been the Masters, PGA Championship and US Open. Beginning in 2007 almost all PGA TOUR golf will be telecast in HD. The Golf Channel has the early round coverage (Thursday & Friday rounds) for the entire season. They also will have full four round coverage for about 12 other events (very early season and late season following the FedExCup events.
Basically, beginning with the Buick Invitational in late January/early February, you will be able to watch PGA TOUR golf in HD on the Golf Channel (new TGC/VS HD channel) for the Thur/Fri rounds and either CBS or NBC (depending on the tournament) for the Sat/Sun rounds. Hope this helps.

·
AllStar
60 Posts
John Buckingham said:
I would really love to see more PPV-HD movies. I think if you pay to see a movie you should expect DD/Letterbox/High-Def. Maybe it just me?

John Buckingham
I agree with you. If they don't offer these options you might as well go rent the DVD.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.