DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,456 Posts
iceman2a said:
Just finnished this, got an email from SS!
It is impressive, but still they can't get a DVR to function without any glitches.
It is indeed impressive.

Come on over and see me...I'll show you 3 HD DVRs running recording and playing back just fine here. Better yet...forget I said anything. :D
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
216 Posts
That was an interesting read.

Seeing the size and scope of such an operation is impressive.

Is the equivalent Dish Network facility in Colorado?
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,414 Posts
TMan said:
That was an interesting read.

Seeing the size and scope of such an operation is impressive.

Is the equivalent Dish Network facility in Colorado?
Dish's uplink facility is in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

And the LA center isn't DirecTV's only one. Edit: DirecTV's second broadcast center is in Castle Rock, Colorado
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,455 Posts
:confused:
Hoosier205 said:
Anyone who assumes another provider is ready to offer Sunday Ticket in place of DirecTV should read that.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,391 Posts
damondlt said:
:confused:
Hoosier205 said:
Anyone who assumes another provider is ready to offer Sunday Ticket in place of DirecTV should read that.
He's referring to the 9th post of that thread. Sunday ticket isn't just passing the raw CBS and Fox network feeds, there's also inserting promos during the local breaks so you don't see the test pattern that's on the raw feed, producing the red zone channel, controlling the mix channel (and the scores under each box), as well as monitoring reports from every CBS and Fox and affiliate in the country when they change games to control which markets are blacked out.

(i.e. home markets getting a late game while the rest of the country is remaining with the early game which just went into overtime, or affiliates that have no ties to the teams playing switching to another game if the game they initially picked is a blow out or there's a better game that's tied in the 3rd quarter)

It isn't like other packages like Extra Innings, League Pass, Center Ice and Direct Kick where all you have to keep track of is where the headend is and what RSN territories cover the systems served by the headend. MSG isn't randomly going to switch to a Lakers game after the Knicks finish, FSN Detroit won't switch to a Dodgers game after the Tigers finish.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,455 Posts
KyL416 said:
He's referring to the 9th post of that thread. Sunday ticket isn't just passing the raw CBS and Fox network feeds, there's also inserting promos during the local breaks so you don't see the test pattern that's on the raw feed, producing the red zone channel, controlling the mix channel (and the scores under each box), as well as monitoring reports from every CBS and Fox and affiliate in the country when they change games to control which markets are blacked out.

(i.e. home markets getting a late game while the rest of the country is remaining with the early game which just went into overtime, or affiliates that have no ties to the teams playing switching to another game if the game they initially picked is a blow out or there's a better game that's tied in the 3rd quarter)

It isn't like other packages like Extra Innings, League Pass, Center Ice and Direct Kick where all you have to keep track of is where the headend is and what RSN territories cover the systems served by the headend. MSG isn't randomly going to switch to a Lakers game after the Knicks finish, FSN Detroit won't switch to a Dodgers game after the Tigers finish.
Thanks that would make sence.

But just so we are all aware, Directv has Always Since Day one had control of sunday ticket. No other provider has ever had it.
So naturally they would have a lot invested into something they have spent Billions on since 1994.

That doesn't mean other providers couldn't produce a sunday ticket out of a National televised games, if the exclusive rights are no longer.

And with more National Live games then ever, I wouldn't be surprised if after 2014, we will be seeing a very different NFL/ Directv exclusive
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,414 Posts
If the NFL decided to open it up to other providers, they would very likely take on the production of the feeds. They have the resources to do so, I don't think it would be a huge problem for them (especially since they'd very easily be able to get the raw productions of each game from Fox/CBS instead of having to rely on skimming local channels' broadcasts)
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
1,414 Posts
Hoosier205 said:
It will remain a single provider exclusive and there is no way DirecTV will let it get away.
Sure there's a way. If the NFL thinks they can make more money by opening it up to multiple providers, they will. There will eventually be a maximum price DirecTV is willing to pay, because they have to remain competitive with cable and Dish, and NFL:ST subs won't want to pay thousands of dollars per season
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,659 Posts
"JosephB" said:
Sure there's a way. If the NFL thinks they can make more money by opening it up to multiple providers, they will. There will eventually be a maximum price DirecTV is willing to pay, because they have to remain competitive with cable and Dish, and NFL:ST subs won't want to pay thousands of dollars per season
The NFL wants to protect their broadcast partners. One provider...that's it. Other providers have been able to bid in the past. It is DirecTV's golden goose. They pay $4 billion for it and will continue to outbid everyone in the industry.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,455 Posts
JosephB said:
Sure there's a way. If the NFL thinks they can make more money by opening it up to multiple providers, they will. There will eventually be a maximum price DirecTV is willing to pay, because they have to remain competitive with cable and Dish, and NFL:ST subs won't want to pay thousands of dollars per season
Agree, Like I said there far less games on NFL Sunday Ticket now, then there ever has been. Thats going to mean something to Directv and its customers .

Directv isn't going to see the value is spending Billion on something thats quite frankly, NOT really exclusive IMO.

I've had Dish and Cable, both had Red Zone.
Plus the now 13 games on NFL network.
NBC has 18 with Thanksgiving Night.
ESPN has 17 with their 2 monday night games week one. And Saturday Night game.
And 2 Thanksgiving day games.

3 local games every sunday for 17 weeks

You don't need ST to see any of these.

101 games you don't need Sunday Ticket for.:eek2:

Thats almost a Quarter of the season that everyone without ST can watch out of market games. Add red zone channels, and they can catch their teams mainly important plays.
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top