Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over in the DirecTV General Discussion jeffjorgy posted this:

DirecTV update - DirecTv and Viiv PC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the DirecTv Forum homepage:

Connect your DIRECTV Plus HD DVR (HR20) with your Intel Viiv based PC for Photos and Music
Participate in DIRECTV's public trial for the new DIRECTV Music and Photos service. Connect your HR20 to your Intel Viiv based PC and listen to your favorite music and share your best photos on your TV!

IMPORTANT: The DIRECTV Music and Photos service is currently available to customers that opt in to participate in DIRECTV’s public trial. By doing so, participants commit to receiving peer to peer customer support for the service via this online technical forum. All DIRECTV Music and Photos service features are production ready.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
:D

More should be available soon.

Earl

·
Legend
268 Posts
This is one of the feature I am waiting for.

I have tried to get the detail instruction for this and it keeps giving me page not found. Can anyone else get this page to work.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
So let me get this straight... Viiv is hardware and the PC I bought less than a month ago is no good? Or will it work and be unsupported?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Things are getting "setup" for ViiV...
You are catching all the pages, in mid-update.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
tfederov said:
So let me get this straight... Viiv is hardware and the PC I bought less than a month ago is no good? Or will it work and be unsupported?
If you don't have the ViiV logo on it... then yes, it is not a ViiV PC.
As far as I know, the ViiV software components, will not run on a non-ViiV system.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
As far as I know, the ViiV software components, will not run on a non-ViiV system.
Okay, dbstalk forum party at my house!! I want there to be witnesses around when my wife kills me for asking to buy another computer! :grin: :lol: :grin:

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
dconfer said:
Earl,
Are you going to have more info on this soon?
I want to opt in for this program.
Yes, but it probably won't be until later tonight at the earliest

·
Icon
714 Posts
tfederov said:
Okay, dbstalk forum party at my house!! I want there to be witnesses around when my wife kills me for asking to buy another computer! :grin: :lol: :grin:
YOu should try my trick. Every computer I buy is for my wife. I never buy any computer for myself. She is just kind enough to allow me to use her computer from time to time. :)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hancox said:
blech - if it doesn't add anything over my xbox 360 AND introduces craptastic Intel DRM, this is DOA.
Hey, you can put an SD card into the Wii too and see your photos. It's not a bad presentation either.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Dusty said:
YOu should try my trick. Every computer I buy is for my wife. I never buy any computer for myself. She is just kind enough to allow me to use her computer from time to time. :)
I dunno... sounds alot like Homer buying Marge a bowling ball with his name on it! :D

·
Icon
550 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Anyone know if Vista is going to be currently supported, or am I SOL with RC2?

Direct link to the page with this info:

http://forums.directv.com/pe/index.jsp
Assuming you have the ViiV components running under Vista, I would guess that the HR20 wouldn't care. It's talking over the wire to your PC so as long as it supports the appropriate communications you should be fine. Vista simply adds to the capabilities of the existing IP stack (things like full IPv6 support, etc.) so there really should be no difference.

I have the released version of Vista running on my PC, but it's an AMD unit so ViiV is not something I have been looking at with Vista.

·
Icon
869 Posts
Not sure if this was on a prior thread...

Will the USB port allow for a Wireless Adapter or will one need to acquire a Wireless Bridge if there is no hard wired lan cable going to their HR20?

Thanks!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
packfan909 said:
Not sure if this was on a prior thread...

Will the USB port allow for a Wireless Adapter or will one need to acquire a Wireless Bridge if there is no hard wired lan cable going to their HR20?

Thanks!
Wireless bridge.

Right now, there is no time frame for if/when they may introduce a wireless option via the USB.

·
Godfather
395 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
ViiV's technical details are horrible, I think on purpose to force you to buy an expensive box. You can buy a ViiV motherboard/CPU combo in a build your own scenerio. It is essentially the same thing as when AMD branded 3dNow and Intel MMX to boost performance. There is a hardware component that is needed for the software to make the appropriate calls.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
premio said:
ViiV's technical details are horrible, I think on purpose to force you to buy an expensive box. You can buy a ViiV motherboard/CPU combo in a build your own scenerio. It is essentially the same thing as when AMD branded 3dNow and Intel MMX to boost performance. There is a hardware component that is needed for the software to make the appropriate calls.
I am not the biggest fan of Gateway, but...
http://www.gateway.com/products/gconfig/prodhmseries.asp?seg=hm&gcseries=dx420&clv=Btn1&clv=Btn1

But for as little as $599, get's you into a ViiV Dual Core 2 system...

So, I guess it depends on your definition of expensive.

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Wireless bridge.

Right now, there is no time frame for if/when they may introduce a wireless option via the USB.
Just as an FYI to everyone out there... look around before you go out and drop $250 on a wireless bridging solution, or even $100 on the "game adapters".

I picked up two Airlink AP411Ws for $20 each at Frys in Houston when they were on sale (there have been new APs to come out since I did it). They can do point-to-point and point-to-multipoint bridging. Also you can get several different types of AP hardware and increase their functionality by running OpenWRT software on it. It takes a little doing, but you can take cheap hardware, change the firmware, and enable features of units costing much more.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.