· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
:D

More should be available soon.

Earl

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Things are getting "setup" for ViiV...
You are catching all the pages, in mid-update.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
tfederov said:
So let me get this straight... Viiv is hardware and the PC I bought less than a month ago is no good? Or will it work and be unsupported?
If you don't have the ViiV logo on it... then yes, it is not a ViiV PC.
As far as I know, the ViiV software components, will not run on a non-ViiV system.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
dconfer said:
Earl,
Are you going to have more info on this soon?
I want to opt in for this program.
Yes, but it probably won't be until later tonight at the earliest

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
packfan909 said:
Not sure if this was on a prior thread...

Will the USB port allow for a Wireless Adapter or will one need to acquire a Wireless Bridge if there is no hard wired lan cable going to their HR20?

Thanks!
Wireless bridge.

Right now, there is no time frame for if/when they may introduce a wireless option via the USB.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
premio said:
ViiV's technical details are horrible, I think on purpose to force you to buy an expensive box. You can buy a ViiV motherboard/CPU combo in a build your own scenerio. It is essentially the same thing as when AMD branded 3dNow and Intel MMX to boost performance. There is a hardware component that is needed for the software to make the appropriate calls.
I am not the biggest fan of Gateway, but...
http://www.gateway.com/products/gconfig/prodhmseries.asp?seg=hm&gcseries=dx420&clv=Btn1&clv=Btn1

But for as little as $599, get's you into a ViiV Dual Core 2 system...

So, I guess it depends on your definition of expensive.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Meklos said:
Just as an FYI to everyone out there... look around before you go out and drop $250 on a wireless bridging solution, or even $100 on the "game adapters".

I picked up two Airlink AP411Ws for $20 each at Frys in Houston when they were on sale (there have been new APs to come out since I did it). They can do point-to-point and point-to-multipoint bridging. Also you can get several different types of AP hardware and increase their functionality by running OpenWRT software on it. It takes a little doing, but you can take cheap hardware, change the firmware, and enable features of units costing much more.
FYI:
At Buy.COM

Linksys WET54G (Wireless Bridge) is $93
SMC's is $68

Still not as cheep as the phone line networking, but...

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
machavez00 said:
so once again the Mac addicts are frozen out
So when are you all going to learn your lesson.... :D
(Just Kidding)

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
bret4 said:
I don't get it. Why would I want to do this on my TV when I can already download music and photos on the internet? Never heard of VIIV before this thread. Can you do more with it than just photos and music?

I wish they would just spend more time fixing bugs.
Part of the ViiV features, is to allow your HR20 to connect to YOUR PC, and display those pictures you downloaded (from where ever), on your TV.

As well as music files.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Sixto said:
So to be able to show photos on TV thru the HR20, you're going to need a Windows Media Center Edition (MCE) PC with Viiv? Wow ... big bucks.
Define "Big Bucks".....

Gateway has a ViiV Dual Core, MCE XP system for $599
http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=749640&postcount=19

Not that I am saying that you should "have" to purchase a new system, but we are not talking $3,000 or something here...

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
grooves12 said:
$600 IS big bucks JUST to view photos, when the same functionality could be had for free if implemented properly.
Yes, it would "high cost" for little return in your scenerio.
But say for someone like my mother, that hasn't purchase a new PC in 3 years. Fair price for a new system.

Everyone's situation is different.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Again, to all of the "other" setups out there.

Great... you have a solution that you are happy with.
No one is saying you have to use this method... use what makes sense for your setup, your systems, your configurations, ect...

No one is going to "force" you to purchase a ViiV system... no one is going to "force" you to use this feature of the HR20.

But if in your setup... if this fits... then it is a feature to you.
Just like any other feature (OTA, "Dual Buffers", Active, ect...) may matter to you, may not... doesn't make it any less valuable to the next guy.

I have an XBOX360, that can connect to my Media Servers... however, my XBOX360 isn't on all the time... and I do have a ViiV PC... so having access to my MP3's via my wired network in my house, is one step closer to what I want...

So bottom line...
If you are not happy that you will need a ViiV complaint system...
Then add that to the column of reasons why YOU don't like the HR20.

But, doesn't change the fact that it (soon to be) is a feature of the HR20.
And just like any other feature, there are requirements for it...

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
monkeydrum said:
Does anyone have the Viiv 1.50(??):confused: installer available for download? Currently have 1.0(something) and only can find 1.52 on the intel site. Downloaded and tried to install but received message that 1.50 has to be installed first.

Thanks in advance guys...
I am still working on getting the link for the 1.5 download.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.