DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 108 Posts

· You make it, We break it
4,480 Posts
Don't worry machavez. We can already do all of this with our iPods. ;) We're not frozen out - all the windoze users are frozen in! And there's no escape! Hahahahaha :goodjob:

Man I need my OTA - I'm losin it.....

machavez00 said:
so once again the Mac addicts are frozen out

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
VideoVeteran said:
I think the main barrier will be support of DTCP-IP (Intel's copy protection system). AFAIK only ViiV computers support that. Try a google of DTCP-IP.
No, that doesn't make any sense. As of now, the only capabilities they're offering is the ability to view music and photos stored on your computer using the HR20. That doesn't require any form of copy protection.

· Mentor
49 Posts
hancox said:
blech - if it doesn't add anything over my xbox 360 AND introduces craptastic Intel DRM, this is DOA.
Actually DirecTV will add the same "features" as they have with the HR20 .... instability, feature-lacking, and promises that it will work in the future. I imagine we will see photos that have the bottom half cropped ... or pixelated so you cant see the photos ... or music that stutters ... or ... . And they will probably spread their "technology" to your PC making it crash and reboot at the same frequency as the HR20.

After so many companies (more competent than DTV at product development) have tried and failed to deliver a good product for streaming photos, music, and video from a PC ... what makes anyone think DTV can do it? The expression "learn to walk before you run" comes to mind. DTV ... FIX your HR20 BEFORE you unleash more half-attempts at products! :mad:

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
jayvista said:
DTV ... FIX your HR20 BEFORE you unleash more half-attempts at products! :mad:
Do you have to crap on every thread about new features with your dumb little rants? If you have an HR20, you should get rid of it. It's clearly having a negative effect on your mental health. If you don't have an HR20, then you shouldn't be as angry as you are.

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Based on that, it looks like I'm SOL. I imagine many others here don't have computers that match these specs.
Probably the vast majority of people will be SOL. DirecTV is just putting their greed ahead of customer satisfaction. It's not like music and photo sharing requires a Core 2 Duo processor. Intel just slipped DirecTV a few bucks to lock things down to Viiv.

· I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
Since I can already do this with my Xbox360 (including 1080p, which the HR20 can't do) and my PCs throughout the house, why do I need to go buy an Intel Viiv-based computer? ;)

· Registered
4,880 Posts
machavez00 said:
I bethca I can fool it by running vitrtual pc and Vista on my Mac
:bonk1:
Currently, no. The installer for Viiv 1.5 (latest version) will not install under Vista. I just tried it with my Vista RC2 machine. It complains about the OS first thing. I'm tempted to tear open the MSI that gets extracted from the EXE installer and tweaking the required OS and other such things to make it install on my machine. From what I've seen, Viiv 1.6 will support Vista fully.

11,606 Posts
Jeremy W said:
MCE is required by Viiv.
So to be able to show photos on TV thru the HR20, you're going to need a Windows Media Center Edition (MCE) PC with Viiv? Wow ... big bucks.

With the TiVo Series3, you download TiVo Desktop 2.3a for free. You then tell it the directory(s) where your photos and mp3s are and you're done. Takes 5-10 minutes and it's free.

Was assuming that the HR20 would be as simple.

Just when I was starting to lean back to the HR20 :) Ah well ...

· Registered
8,671 Posts
nice to know they are so worried about protecting the privacy of my family photos in my house on my network, wouldn't want my cat or dog stealing them...:rolleyes: :nono2:

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Sixto said:
So to be able to show photos on TV thru the HR20, you're going to need a Windows Media Center Edition (MCE) PC with Viiv? Wow ... big bucks.
Define "Big Bucks".....

Gateway has a ViiV Dual Core, MCE XP system for $599
http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=749640&postcount=19

Not that I am saying that you should "have" to purchase a new system, but we are not talking $3,000 or something here...

· Icon
550 Posts
LameLefty said:
Since I can already do this with my Xbox360 (including 1080p, which the HR20 can't do) and my PCs throughout the house, why do I need to go buy an Intel Viiv-based computer? ;)
This is the thing for D* to look at. I can do this as well today.

I have a two tuner OTA card running under Vista Ultimate that can record HDTV content and stream it at full resolution to my XBox360. MS built all of this into their new network stack to appease the content gods... Very cool stuff that is all from the *software* not a particular hardware vendor.

· DBSTalk Club Member
485 Posts
Maybe this feature will go away if no one uses it. I'd rather see something TV related in a TV product. The HR20 has a hard enough time doing what it is asked to do now. Asking it to do more things at once is most likely not going to work that great. The more I read about this the more I think they should just dump the idea and get back to adding TV related features. Clean up the software to make it run more stable before you go and add something that most people do not have the hardware to use.

· Icon
563 Posts
lguvenoz said:
This is the thing for D* to look at. I can do this as well today.

I have a two tuner OTA card running under Vista Ultimate that can record HDTV content and stream it at full resolution to my XBox360. MS built all of this into their new network stack to appease the content gods... Very cool stuff that is all from the *software* not a particular hardware vendor.
and where are you going to get 1080p content from ? One day it will exist but not over the air either HD DVD/Bluray or maybe cable and satellite. ATSC doesn't support 1080p .
Not to mention I amsure that cost you 1500$ total or more the HR20 is 1/3 of the price or less and Vista doesn't support MPEG 4 yet maybe one day so the only content you could play would be 1080i MPEG2 or WMV-HD .

· Icon
563 Posts
bret4 said:
Maybe this feature will go away if no one uses it. I'd rather see something TV related in a TV product. The HR20 has a hard enough time doing what it is asked to do now. Asking it to do more things at once is most likely not going to work that great. The more I read about this the more I think they should just dump the idea and get back to adding TV related features. Clean up the software to make it run more stable before you go and add something that most people do not have the hardware to use.
Other than stability and missed recording many of the features added are only for groups of different users. Some (mostly sports fans) want OTA, some want photos some music some want dual buffers. I bet 80-90% of the total HR20 users don't care about dual buffers or even know what it is.Personally I would prefer soft padding of programs and some other features like storing the guide and other parameters on the disk or the web.
In most software teams there are different groups working on different parts of the system and if some are working on VIIV it doesn't mean others are not busy trying to fix or add other "tv" features.

41 - 60 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.