DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 108 of 108 Posts

· Icon
563 Posts
lguvenoz said:
Vista does support MPEG4 depending upon the capture card (some existing cards support H.264). It also supports disk encryption, bus encryption and network encryption and trusting. All of the software pieces you would ever need to support distribution over your home network with the necessary protections to appease the content distributors.

Add to that hardware support for up to 4 parallel tuners, and you have a tremendous opportunity to build a true HTPC that distributes throughout your house. The biggest drawback to the whole setup is the bandwidth requirements for HDTV streaming. None of us should be surprised, but it's huge (your standard 802.11g wireless ain't gonna cut it). Mine can handle it, but it's over 100Mbps switched networking today, and I plan to upgrade to gigabit.

The networking piece is kind of interesting from ViiV. I've noticed that most, if not all, of the support hardware from Intel is all supporting gigabit networking. I also have noticed a lot of noise about the lack of wireless networking support being mandated. Realities of networking will hit home as people start doing more with streaming HD quality video, but that is where the real fun begins...
I should have said MSFT doesn't support MPEG4 yet in Vista and there is no secure driver /OS support from MSFT for anything other than MPEG2 and WMV. This means any solution for now would need to be a complet 3 rd party solution and not a plugin to Media Center's PVR.

· Legend
127 Posts
houskamp said:
nice to know they are so worried about protecting the privacy of my family photos in my house on my network, wouldn't want my cat or dog stealing them...:rolleyes: :nono2:
I agree completely. So this feature allows a secure connection from my PC to my HR20 so I can display pictures that I took and play music that I downloaded from limewire. I dont get it. I could ALMOST understand it if it went the other direction, meaning it woud allow you to play recorded shows on your. Why do I want this "feature" again? PC. :confused:

· Legend
127 Posts
Jomanscool2 said:
Well, I could have gone deeper, but I decided not to as this is a HR20 forum, but you have made me!

There are many studies that VERY few programs actually benefit from more than two core (final cut studio is one of them...). Having more powerful dual core 64bit processors have proved to be more advantageous for gaming. (Only worthwhile thing to do on computer besides browse forums/blogs and other... sites)

Even with the new multicore support for the souce engine by valve, the additional cores don't prove to be that powerful.
I remember people saying "A megabyte of memory? No one will every need that much." :D

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
Marty B said:
I remember people saying "A megabyte of memory? No one will every need that much." :D
Absolutely. I don't see how anyone could be angry about the fact that Intel is working on pushing the limits of technology. We don't need quad cores on the desktop today, sure, but the day will come.

9 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Currently, no. The installer for Viiv 1.5 (latest version) will not install under Vista. I just tried it with my Vista RC2 machine. It complains about the OS first thing. I'm tempted to tear open the MSI that gets extracted from the EXE installer and tweaking the required OS and other such things to make it install on my machine. From what I've seen, Viiv 1.6 will support Vista fully.
Does anyone have the Viiv 1.50(??):confused: installer available for download? Currently have 1.0(something) and only can find 1.52 on the intel site. Downloaded and tried to install but received message that 1.50 has to be installed first.

Thanks in advance guys...

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
monkeydrum said:
Does anyone have the Viiv 1.50(??):confused: installer available for download? Currently have 1.0(something) and only can find 1.52 on the intel site. Downloaded and tried to install but received message that 1.50 has to be installed first.

Thanks in advance guys...
I am still working on getting the link for the 1.5 download.

· Godfather
551 Posts
ajwillys said:
So .....

Am I the only one googling to figure out how I can "fake" my HR20 into believing my PC is "Viiv Certified" and send my music over the network? Can't be hard.
my pc isnt "viiv certified" ,and I can listen to music while watching pic. slideshow. hardwired hr20 to 2wire router,and installed wmp 11.had to reboot hr20 after wmp11 install,and works fine :)

101 - 108 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.