DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

· Icon
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if there is a thread already but new Gemini STB (wireless 4k. Apps. Voice remote )

· Registered
135 Posts
Yes, the Gemini has been sent out to select areas for testing. It is the same model as the actual DIRECTV STREAM Osprey Boxes. C71KW-400

I believe it includes an adapter of some sort to integrate DIRECTV satellite (not completely sure.)

I’ve briefly spoke to someone who received one from DTV and they state that it was hard to set up at first.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Looks like Gemini is public now

eligible customers must currently have Genie 2 and Genie Mini hardware. Offer ends 01/31/23. Existing eligible residential customers only. Requires High speed internet connection. 12-Month equipment lease required.
Only available if you have the HS17 and have 2 or more active Genie Minis plus you get a 12 month contract.

· Icon
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there still a 2 4k viewing limit ?

· Icon
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also I assume its $7/monthly like an stb right ?

· Legend
1,244 Posts
I already have an Apple TV 4K for my streaming apps, and only have a HR54. This will require an upgrade to a HS17. What additional benefits would this new device offer since I don't need an additional streaming source?

· Registered
135 Posts
I’ve always despised the HS17 system since you can’t activate any standalone receivers, just the clients. This makes traveling with the system harder, if you like several DVRs and HDDs you are now working off of one 2TB drive and the amount
Of tuners leftover from the HS17 after the clients take some, etc.

Suit yourself, but I personally wouldn’t even think about it. HR24s are my forever setup lol

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
I’ve always despised the HS17 system since you can’t activate any standalone receivers, just the clients. This makes traveling with the system harder, if you like several DVRs and HDDs you are now working off of one 2TB drive and the amount
Of tuners leftover from the HS17 after the clients take some, etc.

Suit yourself, but I personally wouldn’t even think about it. HR24s are my forever setup lol
Yeah I have 14 tuners with an HR54, H24, and 4 HR24's. I would consider an HS17 if they would give me two of them so I still had 14 tuners. Just can't do with only 7.

· AllStar
116 Posts
Only available if you have the HS17 and have 2 or more active Genie Minis plus you get a 12 month contract.
Spoke with DTV this morning and they have no knowledge of this at all.
Gemini Tech Support/Sales at 888 488 4742
I'm in the Nashville DMA-one of the first test markets, but no way for them to order these for me.
Meet all requirements and not one person knows anything about the available everywhere landing page seen above.
Right hand left hand.
Just plain stupid.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,463 Posts
Is there still a 2 4k viewing limit ?
For DIRECTV satellite content, the two 4K stream limit of the Genie 2 would remain; to the Genie2, the Gemini is just another Genie Mini.

Theoretically, you could be watching 4K other than through DIRECTV depending on how you get Internet to your Gemini and what third party apps are available for the Gemini and whether or not your broadband connection is sufficient to sustain 4K.

· Icon
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did u try this number ?

Targeted loyalty customers must claim the Gemini device(s) through the dedicated customer service line 800-578-4388.

26,463 Posts
I'm in the Nashville DMA-one of the first test markets, but no way for them to order these for me.
If you didn't get an invitation to the testing program, is isn't available to you. That's how end-user testing for products like the Gemini usually works.

· Godfather
1,020 Posts
Spoke with DTV this morning and they have no knowledge of this at all.
Gemini Tech Support/Sales at 888 488 4742
Meet all requirements and not one person knows anything about the available everywhere landing page seen above.
Right hand left hand.
Just plain stupid.
Well, I called and just asked. The CSR was familiar with it but said I was ineligible despite having an HS17 and 3 minis. Oh, well. I was more curious than anything.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
If you didn't get an invitation to the testing program, is isn't available to you. That's how end-user testing for products like the Gemini usually works.
If you read the link provided in the first post it has been released for those that qualify. They have a dedicated number just for this.
Well, I called and just asked. The CSR was familiar with it but said I was ineligible despite having an HS17 and 3 minis. Oh, well. I was more curious than anything.
Did you use the dedicated number?
Targeted loyalty customers must claim the Gemini device(s) through the dedicated customer service line 800-578-4388.

· Godfather
1,020 Posts
If you read the link provided in the first post it has been released for those that qualify. They have a dedicated number just for this.

Did you use the dedicated number?
Yes, that's the number I called. Again, no biggie, I was more curious about it than anything. I can't imagine it being any better than the Ruku Ultras that I already have.

26,463 Posts
If you read the link provided, the dedicated number is for "targeted loyalty customers" of which those who didn't get an invitation aren't among.

Just because you're curious or want to be among the first doesn't make you a "targeted loyalty customer".

· Registered
1,830 Posts
The announcement page is up. Only for the HS-17 now. Also extends your contract 12 months. Looks like the free upgrade only lasts until the end of the month. You also have to call to order. They don't make it easy to order like with the DTV Stream box. I wonder how many CSR's will know about it unless you send them the link to it?

Gemini - Our Best TV Experience at No Extra Cost - DIRECTV

· Hall Of Fame
5,403 Posts
The announcement page is up. Only for the HS-17 now. Also extends your contract 12 months. Looks like the free upgrade only lasts until the end of the month. You also have to call to order. They don't make it easy to order like with the DTV Stream box. I wonder how many CSR's will know about it unless you send them the link to it?

Gemini - Our Best TV Experience at No Extra Cost - DIRECTV
I cant believe there asking for a contract

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
If you read the link provided, the dedicated number is for "targeted loyalty customers" of which those who didn't get an invitation aren't among.

Just because you're curious or want to be among the first doesn't make you a "targeted loyalty customer".
Again if you look at the link posted to the DIRECTV website it says:

GEMINI FROM DIRECTV
Our best TV experience is available at NO EXTRA COST

And you're first in line to enjoy Gemini with this exclusive trial.The all-new Gemini hardware has arrived with new advanced features and benefits. Current customers call to see if you're eligible* to upgrade to the Gemini.
And you're first in line to enjoy Gemini with this exclusive trial.

The all-new Gemini hardware has arrived with new advanced features and benefits. Current customers call to see if you're eligible* to upgrade to the Gemini.
and then it says:
*eligible customers must currently have Genie 2 and Genie Mini hardware.
So if a person has the Genie 2 and Genie Mini hardware they are eligible. But they must call the dedicated number. Not the regular DIRECTV number.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts