DBSTalk Forum banner
101 - 120 of 168 Posts

· Godfather
471 Posts
Old news...? I've had my WIRED HS17/100 & C61K-700 and two C61's since I upgraded years ago. I just wish they wouldn't have abandoned the original Genie functionality of being able to access my DVR from remote locations. After all, DIRECTV/AT&T did buy the old ReplayTV IP and their remote access worked like a charm. Loved the days of the old DVArchive network.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,516 Posts
Old news...?
It isn't old news that DIRECTV is repurposing the DIRECTV STREAM Device (C71KW, Osprey and now Gemini) to act as a 4K Genie Client (with the appropriate DECA adapter or maybe via HS17 wireless 802.11ac).

At the point that anyone engaged in testing the Gemini setup confirms that a DECA connection is not required for viewing DIRECTV 4K satellite content, we'll know whether it represents DIRECTV's first 4K wireless Genie client which would be a welcome addition to the Genie Mini lineup.

· Premium Member
4,095 Posts
Another example of having a support staff that doesn't even know what equipment they have but are supposed to support it. The HS17 is the latest "server" receiver but you can only use clients with. It does not connect to a TV and it feeds the clients. Any older DVR or receivers go out the window if you get the HS17. The "new" Gemini is the latest client but is in testing and not available to the general public yet.

· Registered
24 Posts
Another example of having a support staff that doesn't even know what equipment they have but are supposed to support it. The HS17 is the latest "server" receiver but you can only use clients with. It does not connect to a TV and it feeds the clients. Any older DVR or receivers go out the window if you get the HS17. The "new" Gemini is the latest client but is in testing and not available to the general public yet.

Thank you. I apologize if I am dense-when I upgraded to 4K (HR54) I had to get service to come out and fix glitches and that installer was awesome. He redid some of my installed equipment set-up that was wrong and gave me his cell and I could call him and get the inside scoop on equipment set-up and operating issues BUT he left DTV.

So if I read your message correctly the HS17 is the current best unit? But it sounds like it operates like a WIFI router and sends signal to clients for each TV. Is there alimit on TV's? Can you hardwire the connection between HS17 and clients (like I currently hard wire all of my internet connections to TVs or devices except iPhone.

I am sorry but I feel really stupid about all this. I have eye disease and need the sharpest clearest Video on ;argest screen I can use in each room

· Registered
24 Posts
Thank you. I apologize if I am dense-when I upgraded to 4K (HR54) I had to get service to come out and fix glitches and that installer was awesome. He redid some of my installed equipment set-up that was wrong and gave me his cell and I could call him and get the inside scoop on equipment set-up and operating issues BUT he left DTV.

So if I read your message correctly the HS17 is the current best unit? But it sounds like it operates like a WIFI router and sends signal to clients for each TV. Is there alimit on TV's? Can you hardwire the connection between HS17 and clients (like I currently hard wire all of my internet connections to TVs or devices except iPhone.

I am sorry but I feel really stupid about all this. I have eye disease and need the sharpest clearest Video on ;argest screen I can use in each room

· Premium Member
4,095 Posts

The HS17 is a server. It can have 8 clients but only only seven at a time can be streaming live TV. Clients can be wired or wireless. For 4K presently the clients have to be the wired C61K but as mentioned previously the wireless 4K Gemini will be available at some point. DirecTV will probably try to get you to take wireless clients but you can stand firm and tell them you don't want wireless clients.

· Registered
24 Posts
The HS17 is a server. It can have 8 clients but only only seven at a time can be streaming live TV. Clients can be wired or wireless. For 4K presently the clients have to be the wired C61K but as mentioned previously the wireless 4K Gemini will be available at some point. DirecTV will probably try to get you to take wireless clients but you can stand firm and tell them you don't want wireless clients.
Thank you I guess Ill try and contact to get the upgraded equipment. I pay for the protection plan so I shoud be able to get it installed??? Or am I likley to get another bimbo who doesn;t know of what I ask them

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,516 Posts
Upgrading to the latest gear simply for the sake of upgrading may not be the best approach as it is a paradigm shift in this case. There are some limitations involved in upgrading to the HS17 that many find insufferable.

For example, having other receivers or DVRs is also not an option; every TV must be connected to a Genie Mini. OTA tuners aren't an option either.

For those that don't have any legacy gear, the HS17 is a great option that has a couple unique capabilities. For those that do have legacy gear that would be rendered unusable, it should be a very carefully considered decision.

· Premium Member
4,095 Posts
Upgrading to the latest gear simply for the sake of upgrading may not be the best approach as it is a paradigm shift in this case. There are some limitations involved in upgrading to the HS17 that many find insufferable.

For example, having other receivers or DVRs is also not an option; every TV must be connected to a Genie Mini. OTA tuners aren't an option either.

For those that don't have any legacy gear, the HS17 is a great option that has a couple unique capabilities. For those that do have legacy gear that would be rendered unusable, it should be a very carefully considered decision.
I already stated it could not be used with DVR's or other receivers and the poster never said he was using an OTA tuner. He stated he had an HR54 and 3 clients which could easily be replaced with an HS17 and clients.

· Registered
24 Posts
I already stated it could not be used with DVR's or other receivers and the poster never said he was using an OTA tuner. He stated he had an HR54 and 3 clients which could easily be replaced with an HS17 and clients.
Correct as to my equipment. So I am not sure what if any upgrade switching to HS17 would be can someone explain again I am dense-I'm an attorney not a tech guy

· Premium Member
4,095 Posts
About the only things you gain is you can watch two 4K shows at once with the HS17 where the HR54 limits you to watching one 4K at a time. The HS17 DVR has a 2 TB hard drive while the HR54 DVR has a 1 TB hard drive. Also the HR54 has 5 available tuners while the HS17 has 7 available tuners. And the HS17 is newer so probably a bit faster than the HR54.

· Registered
24 Posts
About the only things you gain is you can watch two 4K shows at once with the HS17 where the HR54 limits you to watching one 4K at a time. The HS17 DVR has a 2 TB hard drive while the HR54 DVR has a 1 TB hard drive. Also the HR54 has 5 available tuners while the HS17 has 7 available tuners. And the HS17 is newer so probably a bit faster than the HR54.
I really appreciate your patience with my basic questions. Thank you very much and thank you for taking the time and your consideration.

Frank

· Registered
4,146 Posts
I really appreciate your patience with my basic questions. Thank you very much and thank you for taking the time and your consideration.

Frank
I would add-The HS-17 has a built in Wireless bridge -that only connects wireless D*TV devices (mini's and the New 4K wireless mini) The Wireless Bridge network only talks to those devices (not your home wireless and or wired internet network) SO depending on where you place the HS17 --It may or may not "talk" to all the other rooms wireless well. EXAMPLE --place in the basement and try using a wireless mini on the third floor may or may not work.

101 - 120 of 168 Posts