DBSTalk Forum banner
121 - 140 of 168 Posts

2 Posts
Received a postcard offering a "No cost Gemini upgrade" here in metro Atlanta, so called in to the number specified (800-578-4388) to see about the upgrade. Current system is a Genie 2 (HS-17) server with 2 C61K and 2 C61W (for a total of 4 Genie minis). Was told the offer is only for ONE of those Genie Minis to be upgraded for free. Not what I expected - is everyone getting this same offer or are they upgrading all of your minis?

· Registered
12 Posts
Where are you located? There were only three cities available when I called using the dbstalk link. I was to get an email or text when my area was eligible. I currently have a Genie 2 (HS-17) and 2 C61K's.

· Registered
213 Posts
Received a postcard offering a "No cost Gemini upgrade" here in metro Atlanta, so called in to the number specified (800-578-4388) to see about the upgrade. Current system is a Genie 2 (HS-17) server with 2 C61K and 2 C61W (for a total of 4 Genie minis). Was told the offer is only for ONE of those Genie Minis to be upgraded for free. Not what I expected - is everyone getting this same offer or are they upgrading all of your minis?
I’m in the Dallas area and they would only swap out one of my mini’s for free. There’s a tech coming out tomorrow to see if they can fix the hdr/HLG issue. Also wonder if there’s a difference between the C71KW-500 and the C71KW-400. I have the C71KW-400.

· Registered
135 Posts
Also wonder if there’s a difference between the C71KW-500 and the C71KW-400. I have the C71KW-400.
Same here. Looks like Directv is allowing select customers to test the -400 and I haven’t heard of anyone getting a -500 yet. Though, that is just the manufacture code so it would be fine to assume that there are very few differences, if any. It would be like comparing an HR24-100 to an HR24-500. However, who knows?

· Registered
1 Posts
I received the postcard January 17th and called same day. It was clear they had almost no info on it. Every sentence we exchanged as followed by being placed on hold. He asked me what the post card said--ie does it say I get the upgrade for free or do I have to pay. He ended up saying he had to have a supervisor call me.

About 30 minutes later the same guy calls me. Asks for someone under a different name. I correct him a few times. He then proceeds to apologize for being disconnected. I correct him again. Then he goes on to say about how he wants to help me relocating my service to a new address. I correct him again. I was in a good mood, so we just laughed about the mixup.

No supervisor has called. I called again today, January 19th. Pretty much same experience. On hold after every sentence. He tells me about a contract being required. I ask questions and he doesn't know what to say. I tell him that the only thing mentioned in the postcard is about a fee if I cancel AND do not return the equipment in 12 months. I tried to confirm there were no other penalties, but he wasn't able to directly answer that.

Eventually we got to a place where he said he would be able to send one Gemini for free and I would pay $200 each for the additional 2. I passed.

· AllStar
116 Posts
I'm located in one of the test markets and meet all criteria.
Not one CSR or Tech Supervisor,or Loyalty/Retention person knows **** about this promotion.
The number to call sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.
Total f up by DTV sales and marketing.
No one knows how to respond.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Not one CSR or Tech Supervisor,or Loyalty/Retention person knows **** about this promotion.
So everything is normal. 😆

· Save the Clock Tower!!
2,256 Posts
I'm not currently eligible, but I wonder if I'd rather wait to see if the unreleased A21KW-500 or P21KW-500 would be a better fit for me. They are certainly a few years newer.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,462 Posts
I'm not currently eligible, but I wonder if I'd rather wait to see if the unreleased A21KW-500 or P21KW-500 would be a better fit for me.
I recall seeing someone say that at least one of those models was destined for commercial account use only.

Something newer than six-plus-year-old technology should be better but I'm not convinced that the pay TV marketplace is seeking a combined MVPD/OTT solution. A combined solution that involves OTA is an entirely different story and may be heartily welcomed on the Genie 2.

· Save the Clock Tower!!
2,256 Posts
I recall seeing someone say that at least one of those models was destined for commercial account use only.

Something newer than six-plus-year-old technology should be better but I'm not convinced that the pay TV marketplace is seeking a combined MVPD/OTT solution. A combined solution that involves OTA is an entirely different story and may be heartily welcomed on the Genie 2.
That was a different model. (H26K or something...)

I am not interested in another streaming solution. In fact, my preference is an app for streaming devices that is a true genie client. (I'd love to see programs from my DIRECTV Genie in the Up Next list on my Apple TV 4K.) Of course not all streaming devices are the same, so such a thing might work on some devices and not on other lesser devices.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,462 Posts
In fact, my preference is an app for streaming devices that is a true genie client.
I wonder how the remote control functionality for such an app would be implemented across a number of different platforms. A primary reason many use the Osprey now is for the remote and I'd venture to guess that a paradigm shift UI change would be highly desirable to get around that dependence.

I also wonder what level of processing power it would take to support RVU.

· Registered
11 Posts
I called up to get a wireless Gemini box this past Wednesday which they were happy to overnight me. The next afternoon I received it and went to set it up only to be prompted for a username and password on a screen that indicated DirectTV Stream. When entering my info it errored indicated my id was not setup for this service. Called the special Gemini support number they gave me and it seems my box, which coming in Gemini packaging, was not updated as such and still had the old software. After an hour he was able to finally order a replacement, which was supposed to arrive yesterday and did not. Maybe it will arrive today. Not the best roll out for a new product and given some issues I had with DirecTV last year around upgrading my equipment I may just unsubscribe at this point if the install doesn't go smoother once/should the box arrive.

121 - 140 of 168 Posts