DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Legend
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods >> I tried to search for a similar topic, but I couldn't find it - apologies if there's an appropriate place already and, if I may suggest, how about making this a sticky topic?

I've been a very happy Directv TV customer for the last 2 1/2 years. I like the DVR, and I like the innovation Directv showed when they came with the Directv Deportes package, which is perfect for someone like me, a non-Spanish-speaking futbol/soccer fan - as far as I know, no other provider has a similar add-on package. I also love all special channels to carry the Tennis Grand Slams, the UEFA Champions League and Europa League and I even enjoy Directv's Red Zone channel.

But I must say I think Directv lags in online streaming compared to every other provider that's available to me. And yes, I know usually the online streaming is usually tied to a larger carriage contract.But Fox Sports 1 and 2 launched recently and FoxSportsGo isn't available. And, what is the real deal breaker for me in 2014, the lack of WatchEspn will prevent me to be able to watch the Fifa World Cup on my computer in the office or my cell phone during my commute - there will be late afternoon(ET) matches. And rumor has it that Dish is very close to signing a new contract with ESPN that, for sure, will include WatchESPN. If that indeed happens, Directv will be the only provider that's available to me(available providers to me are Comcast and Dish).

Let me even suggest that Directv advertises more when new online streaming content is made available to its subscribers - while writting this topic, I just realized that Directv subscribers now can watch BenInSport Play, which wasn't available last time I checked, in December - but I went to check the app name at BeIn's Website and, sure enough, Directv is now one of the eligible providers!

·
Premium Member
25,275 Posts
As far as Fox Sports go many providers don't have that yet because they decided not to go with a new contract but rather continue caring the channels as they used to be under the old contract.

As for ESPN we'll see what happens when the next contract negotiations, which is rumored to be sometime this year. Time will tell.

I think DirecTV would carry every single channel live streaming if they could.

·
Legend
412 Posts
KyL416 said:
Disney refuses to negotiate the rights to their Watch products in a seperate deal so DirecTV has to wait until the existing contract is up for renewal.
I personally think that's DirecTV's propaganda.

I think Disney negotiated with cable carriers to allow streaming during and within an existing contract. I think other channels have done the same.

If this is true, then obviously the holdup is with DirecTV and their refusal to either touch the existing contract or provide for any additions.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,042 Posts
KyL416 said:
Disney refuses to negotiate the rights to their Watch products in a seperate deal so DirecTV has to wait until the existing contract is up for renewal.
I think you will find, as you state later, that when distributor deals are done with ESPN that new deals include those type of rights along with other stuff (Longhorn, etc).

·
Hall Of Fame
3,042 Posts
inkahauts said:
As far as Fox Sports go many providers don't have that yet because they decided not to go with a new contract but rather continue caring the channels as they used to be under the old contract.

As for ESPN we'll see what happens when the next contract negotiations, which is rumored to be sometime this year. Time will tell.

I think DirecTV would carry every single channel live streaming if they could.
That's a fair assumption in my opinion

·
2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!
1,813 Posts
Satelliteracer said:
I think you will find, as you state later, that when distributor deals are done with ESPN that new deals include those type of rights along with other stuff (Longhorn, etc).
SEC Network perhaps? :biggrin:

·
44 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I was wondering the same thing. I have time warner as my isp and can't get WatchESPN unless I upgrade to TWC. I hope Directv can negotiate a deal with ESPN like they have with BTN2GO. I travel a lot and rely on my laptop and smartphone for most of my sports.

·
Icon
1,414 Posts
It's also important to note that DirecTV and Dish aren't also internet providers, unlike every one of ESPN's other carriers. I'm sure the discussions between the satellite companies regarding Watch ESPN rights are slightly more complicated, since ESPN 3 availability is usually tied to your ISP, but the rest of Watch ESPN streaming is tied to your TV subscription.

·
Icon
1,414 Posts
domingos35 said:
I have Watch ESPN and ESPN3 Because Comcast is my ISP and can watch it on Xbox LIVE
You can't stream live ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNews, though, without an appropriate TV subscription. "WatchESPN" is confusing because it is an umbrella service for two separate things: ESPN3, which is tied to your ISP and live streaming of ESPN's traditional channels which is tied to your TV provider. Further complicating it is that on some devices you can't even watch ESPN3 without an appropriate TV subscription.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
ESPN's whole streaming thing is a confusing mess for the average person. It depends on what you want to watch, who provides your internet or TV, whether they have an agreement with ESPN, where you're trying to watch from...

It would be nice if when Directv redoes their deal, they manage to get the ability to show all the ESPN3 content via satellite. They could easily manage the bandwidth, if they provided SD only feeds - the quality of that would still be better than what I typically see from ESPN3. Despite plenty of bandwidth and no problem with other streams, ESPN3 seems to hiccup and pixellate regularly. I doubt Directv has much interest in carrying some of the stuff on ESPN3, like cricket matches, but it would be a boon for the average customer to not have to deal with streaming if they're intended on watching on their TV.

·
Legend
412 Posts
The biggest question--from a logical perspective--is this: if you offer something new (as an addition), why would you not want to up sell?

If that's the case, then it is DirecTV who refuses to renegotiate the existing contract to "add" this additional feature. Why would they? As it would most likely mean higher prices. Carriers in the midst of an ending contract may have no choice to but to carry it as part of their new "bundled" agreement.

So, I still believe that DirecTV saying that the broadcasters "refusal" to negotiate is akin to their refusal to ask for more money, which to me seems highly unlikely and, as a result, means DirecTV is being disingenuous.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,588 Posts
ESPN/Disney will not sign a seperate contract just for the streaming rights. They have said so to the press like posted above.

Now you very well may be right about the other part though. I'm sure ESPN/Disney would be more than happy to sign a new deal right now that would cover all the channels and streaming rights in one contract and declare the current contract null/void. However, I'm sure doing so would make DirecTV's costs for the actual channels go up sognificantly compared to what they are paying currently under the contract that is in place. DirecTV has obviously decided that the increased cost at this time does not make sense just to get access to the streaming channels.

For example let's say DirecTVs current contract has them paying $5/month per subscriber for all the channels. Then let's say that currently ESPN/Disney charges all their customer $1/month per subscriber for the streaming package. DirecTV may be willing to pay $1/month for the streaming package. However, ESPN/Disney says that they won't sell the streaming package seperate for $1/month. Instead they tell DirecTV that they have to sign a new contract, and under that contract they will get the streaming package for $1/month, but the cost of the channels goes up to $6/month. So in essence if DirecTV were to sign the new contract just to get the streaming rights it would really end up costing them an extra $2/month per subscriber for each month that would have been left in the current contract. DirecTV doesn't feel that the streaming package is worth $2/month at this time so they decide to just wait until their current contract expires.

Reactions: Satelliteracer

·
Legend
264 Posts
mnassour said:
Does anyone know when the next round of talks with Disney/ESPN begin?
Ditto.
Satracer, any idea? Thanks in advance. BTW, I love D*. I have been here 10 years, have 6 receivers including 1 Genie and 4 HD DVR's. But if D* drags their feet on the SEC Network and does not add WatchESPN, I will have to reconsider. I did a trial of ATT Uverse Tv and the picture quality was very, very close to D* on HD. And the price, for me, would save me around $40/month b/c I already have their Internet/Phone service.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.