DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not clear on this, but do DirectTV receivers have to be hooked to pnone lines. I know they don't for Dish unless you ordering PPV. I could have swore I read once where DirectTV periodically will check to see if the receiver is hooked up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The way I understand it is there supposed to be hooked up if a house has more then one IRD in it. But D* doesnt enforce it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure? Phone lines are required for more than one receiver on an account. You might get away with not having them connected for awhile, but not indefinitely. They used to just disable receivers without phone lines if they didn't call out after a certain time period. Now, they just bill you full pop for the non-connected receiver, instead of just the mirror fee. I'm not sure, thats the understanding I had.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the whole phone line thing is a bunch of cr*p. If you don't order PPV there is no reason whatsoever to have a phone line hooked to the receiver. Yes, I know DirecTV does it to cut down on piracy issues but it only keeps the honest people honest. It's very easy to get around and really a waste of time and money for everyone.

This is one of the main things that I have always liked about Dish. A phone line is not required.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
D* does require you to have the receiver hooked to a phone line. While it's an in convenience to have it hooked to a phoneline, it IS necessary because you potentially CAN order PPV and they also need to know WHERE the receiver is located.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a receiver that has NEVER EVER been hooked to a phone line. While I have subbed and unsubbed many times, this time is one year with no phone hookup...and No problems. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You don't need a phone line if you don't subscribe to the sports packages. If you don't then you don't need them. If you do, then you need them. I have 7 receivers. They WILL get disconnected periodically by DirecTV if not phone connected and only your MAIN receiver will work. I have all of mine hooked up now for a few months and no problems with the receivers since that time. Before that, about every 2 months the 6 extra ones would shut off around 11:20pm at night. I had this problem because I was told by a few at DirecTV that it's because of the sports packages.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about people that don't have a phone line? I know several families that have cell phones, and choose not to have a terrestrial line. It would be rediculous for Directv to refuse service to them just because they have no phone line.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a thought: Since Dish will be using DirecTV technology with the new boxes if there is a merger, there would be a good chance that Dish/DirecTV will require that all receivers be hooked up to the phone line.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is one argument for the use of a phone line.

It keeps people honest. Without a phone line, it would theoretically be possible (and very easy) to have neighbors using the same dish with multiple receivers and paying for only mirroring fees.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And here's 2 arguments against:

If I only have a cell phone, I'm limited to cable only? Sounds like colusion with the phone company to me.

And if I have a motor home, I can't get service while driving around the country?

Directv needs a better way of tracking location, in my opinion. Glad I have E...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have more than 1 receiver then DTV requires only the primary to be connected to the phone...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well....DirecTV and Pegasus told me differently. They told me that with PPV or no PPV, all receivers (Master and Slave) have to be connected to the phone line at all times. DirecTV will see periodically if the receivers are connected. If they find out that the receivers are not connected, they will drop service for that receiver and charge you in full for that programming for that receiver. They claim that they have to do this to maintain that the sports packages do not get mirrored to different receivers and to make sure that you're a legit subscriber.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've installed over 2500 systems. Up until about 2-3 months ago you needed a phone line to each receiver. Now only the primary needs a phone line. The receivers that don't have a phone line will not be able to do PPV or sports packs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My question is this:

How does DTV keep track of it's receivers and insure that subs are not "renting" dish lines to others for only the mirroring fee without the phone line? I for one have phone cords strung across the walls behind furniture in two rooms and would like to disconnect them, but haven't dared. I guess I'm a blind rule-follower.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since Dish will be using DirecTV technology with the new boxes if there is a merger

I don't think it will be one company's technology over the other, but a totally different technology...

·
2 Posts
I have a directv subscription in new york, and another apartment in maryland. I want to mirror my new york subscription here in maryland. From the other posts on this site, i can see the phone line is not a necessity, so will this work?? Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.