DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Mentor
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have AEP + some international channels. I'm pointed at 110, 119, 129 and 61.5 orbital location. I chatted with the dish reps today to get 118.7. After wasting 15 minutes with the normal tech support (they're clueless), I got a rep that was helpful. After another 15 minutes - they want me to pay $195 for a switch of antenna from 61.5 to 118.7.

This change was not something I initiated - I'm currently paying for channels I don't receive because they decided to switch sats. In reality, I should not be the one initiating this conversation with them - they should've been proactive about it and switched me from 61.5 to 118.7. I haven't received any notices that the switch was taking place. I simply noticed that some of my international channels were gone.

I pay them $160 a month for the service, thankfully there are plenty of other options. I've been with them for 7 years without interruptions; I had my 1st dish in 1996.

263 Posts
Andy74 said:
I have AEP + some international channels. I'm pointed at 110, 119, 129 and 61.5 orbital location. I chatted with the dish reps today to get 118.7. After wasting 15 minutes with the normal tech support (they're clueless), I got a rep that was helpful. After another 15 minutes - they want me to pay $195 for a switch of antenna from 61.5 to 118.7.

This change was not something I initiated - I'm currently paying for channels I don't receive because they decided to switch sats. In reality, I should not be the one initiating this conversation with them - they should've been proactive about it and switched me from 61.5 to 118.7. I haven't received any notices that the switch was taking place. I simply noticed that some of my international channels were gone.

I pay them $160 a month for the service, thankfully there are plenty of other options. I've been with them for 7 years without interruptions; I had my 1st dish in 1996.
I would be more than happy to assist you with this. Please send me a PM with your phone or account number so I can review your options. Thanks!

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
Sometimes Dish does (has) tried to call customers but I don't think Dish reps leave phone messages in this sort of case if you don't answer the phone. I thought Dish was dropping mailers in snail-mail for affected customers, but if you get electronic billing or are on auto-pay that might fall through the cracks too.

That said...

In case you weren't aware... it unfortunately isn't as simple as switching the 61.5 over to 118.7...

The 118.7 is a different kind of bird and requires a unique LNB and reflector. Actually, it is a "combo" LNB that gets 118.7 and 119.

The Dish 500+ gets 110/118.7/119 on a dual-LNB install... and the Dish1000+ is basically a 500+ with the extra add-on LNB that also picks up 129 for a single dish solution.

So basically... Dish has to put a whole new Dish500+ up at minimum, and since you are on western arc that means it probably makes sense to go 1000+ and have a single dish install... in which case, you could leave that wing dish 61.5 on the roof if you wanted or have it pointed at 129 if you have issues getting 129 where you are.

Additionally, the Dish 500+/1000+ assemblies do not come with a built-in switch so Dish has to provide a DPP44 (or DPP34) switch if you don't already have one of those in your current configuration.

I'm not saying Dish shouldn't be doing this for free for you... just letting you know that there is some work and a bunch of new equipment involved so IF you are able to get it for free or highly reduced, you will be getting value for the price.

· Icon
678 Posts
Andy74 said:

The whole sat swap thing is based on some info that Dish keeps in the program the CSR's use to check your account out. Basically they just use sat tags in an account that should be updated by the tech who does your install or any after install work when he calls in to Dish at the end of the job.
Only problem is they dont always do it, or the CSR on the other end doesnt.

So the notifications, letters, phone calls, emails and what not were all dispatched to customers who were in "x" location with "X" satellite in the program. Lots of people never knew they might need a switch because someone got lazy lol.

That said though last i checked the swap is free, as you said you lost channels because of something Dish did which was out of your hands. All the CSR had to do was update the sat tags on your account and the program would have handled the rest in regards to it being free.
I guess the advanced tech support agent was also clueless ;)

· Godfather
363 Posts
As Inkosaurus said, they will only notify you if they have the proper orbital codes listed on your account. If his account already had 118.7 listed, they would have no reason to contact him. Unfortunately a lot of installers used to just wing in 61.5 to get internationals instead of installing the complex 1000+ dish and never called customer service to tell them they did this.

However, this is supposed to be a free swap AFAIK since it is a problem initiated by Dish choosing to move the channels.

Stewart Vernon said:
Additionally, the Dish 500+/1000+ assemblies do not come with a built-in switch so Dish has to provide a DPP44 (or DPP34) switch if you don't already have one of those in your current configuration.
Acutally the new DPP500+ LNBs that came out last spring do have a switch built in now. I love those things. The 110, 118, 119 is all integrated into the main LNB, and you still add the bracket for 129 and just attach a short cable and feed it into port #4 on the main LNB. No more switches for a one room install! These have made my life soo much easier. :D

And I would not recommend leaving 61.5 in the mix, there is very little HD left on it. You're much better off adding 129 and having a full WA.

· Mentor
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.
They did admit that 118.7 was incorrectly listed on my account, I guess that's why the notifications did not go out.

This is the type of thing that irks me the most.

1. They admit the technical account information they have is stale. My receivers are connected to the ethernet port, so they should have a way of gathering receiver statistics, since at least one of my receivers is always online.
2. Couple of years ago, I actually had to go through one of their audits - one of my receivers wasn't hooked to a phone line. At this time, I had to read each set-up screen on all of my receivers - so at this time they had a chance to update account information on my set-up, even if they're unable to gather this info from my receiver that is always online.
3. As a customer, I shouldn't even know what is 118.7, 61.5 etc... Yet, I had to chat/argue with them that I don't have 118.7. They only reason I know is because I had dish since 1996 - back then you had to install this stuff yourself.
4. I will not pay a dime for this install. I feel like they owe me some money because for a couple of months I haven't been getting all the channels I'm paying for.

So far, I've been happy with the service, it's just that I didn't have to contact customer service much. I'm trying to cool down before making any rash decisions, but their customer service isn't any better than that of comcast, comcast is pretty bad in my book.

It's been a long ride with dish (like I said, on and off since 1996) and I've been considering pulling a plug on them (to save money) in favor of OTA + netflix/hulu via Roku player/Apple TV. I think this is the trigger that will force me into action

· Hall Of Fame
6,220 Posts
Andy74 said:

You need a Dish 500 + antenna for 61.5 & 118.7 for internationals and AEP.

910 Posts
I would be happy to get the upgrade setup for you. I apologize for the confusion. Please PM your account or phone number so I can assist you further. Thanks.

Andy74 said:
Thanks for the replies.
They did admit that 118.7 was incorrectly listed on my account, I guess that's why the notifications did not go out.

This is the type of thing that irks me the most.

1. They admit the technical account information they have is stale. My receivers are connected to the ethernet port, so they should have a way of gathering receiver statistics, since at least one of my receivers is always online.
2. Couple of years ago, I actually had to go through one of their audits - one of my receivers wasn't hooked to a phone line. At this time, I had to read each set-up screen on all of my receivers - so at this time they had a chance to update account information on my set-up, even if they're unable to gather this info from my receiver that is always online.
3. As a customer, I shouldn't even know what is 118.7, 61.5 etc... Yet, I had to chat/argue with them that I don't have 118.7. They only reason I know is because I had dish since 1996 - back then you had to install this stuff yourself.
4. I will not pay a dime for this install. I feel like they owe me some money because for a couple of months I haven't been getting all the channels I'm paying for.

So far, I've been happy with the service, it's just that I didn't have to contact customer service much. I'm trying to cool down before making any rash decisions, but their customer service isn't any better than that of comcast, comcast is pretty bad in my book.

It's been a long ride with dish (like I said, on and off since 1996) and I've been considering pulling a plug on them (to save money) in favor of OTA + netflix/hulu via Roku player/Apple TV. I think this is the trigger that will force me into action

· Hall Of Fame
1,734 Posts
Paul Secic said:
You need a Dish 500 + antenna for 61.5 & 118.7 for internationals and AEP.
Why would he do this...when he can simply do a D1000+ & only need ONE dish for everything, including HD if he needs that, too??? :confused:
Chicago is considered to be WA now by E*. ;)

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
gtal98 said:
Acutally the new DPP500+ LNBs that came out last spring do have a switch built in now. I love those things. The 110, 118, 119 is all integrated into the main LNB, and you still add the bracket for 129 and just attach a short cable and feed it into port #4 on the main LNB. No more switches for a one room install! These have made my life soo much easier. :D

And I would not recommend leaving 61.5 in the mix, there is very little HD left on it. You're much better off adding 129 and having a full WA.
I didn't know about the new 500+ dishes including a switch. That's a good change.

I wasn't necessarily meaning that he should leave his 61.5 hooked up... just that he could leave it on the roof since it is already there... and if he has problems with 129 on a 1000+ dish he could repoint the 61.5 to 129 and get better signal that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.