DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Signed up for D* about 2 weeks ago and sent the installation for the eve of Christmas Eve(present from wife). Was getting:

Total Choice, HD Package, and Sports pack for the St. Louis Cardinals games of the FSN network along with 1 SD DVR.

Installer came out at 4 when it was suppose to be an AM service but didn't bother me at all. Sucky part was that he said he wouldn't be able to get a reception and left. Sucks cause i really wanted the FSN channels and the HD content.

Stuck with looking at Cox Communications now here in Norfolk. Don't really want to dish out the extra money for digital cable(15 more a month) then HD service is even more and add on a receiver as well and then spend money on the mlb xtra innings pack.

Hopefully the FiOS will be in the hampton roads tidewater region cause i ain't spending the extra money just for digital cable from cox. Just kinda bummed out really was excited about it but all the darn trees just overpopulated in this area.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah haven't yet, was thinking about it but there is really only one straight path to the south at the moment, i thought i would be enough but after the guy was talking about it and needing the 5 satellites i think he is right. and plus in a few months all the trees will have leaves and obscure even more.

Guess i thought it only needed vision a little higher up in the horizon. Kinda thought this was gonna happen but still kinda bummed out, got a new HD TV and everything(didn't buy it specifically for the HD though.)

Maybe later i will see about getting a second opinion but spent most of the day waiting for him and don't really feel like bothering with trying it again at the moment.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought the sports pack came with all the FSN channels(south, midwest, and the like.) Cardinals play a lot of there games on FSN Midwest so just wanted the games broadcasted on that, maybe i was wrong about it. Since i live in norfolk VA the only thing local here our stupid Norfolk Tides(NY Mets AAA Team) Biggest metropolis without a major league sports team, VA sucks.

·
Godfather
439 Posts
bwit43 said:
Thought the sports pack came with all the FSN channels(south, midwest, and the like.) Cardinals play a lot of there games on FSN Midwest so just wanted the games broadcasted on that, maybe i was wrong about it. Since i live in norfolk VA the only thing local here our stupid Norfolk Tides(NY Mets AAA Team) Biggest metropolis without a major league sports team, VA sucks.
The Sports Pack does come with all the FSN channels, but when a major league game comes on, Baseball, Basketball, or Hockey, the program blacks out for games that are "out of area". So, you still have to have a league sports subcription.

Would a pole mount help you, even though it would be more cost up front?

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was thinking on the right side of the house there is a alley in the tree if you installed it at the top corner of the roof but he said it wasn't big enough to get all the satelites especially when spring comes around, a pole could work but it would have to be in the very front of the frontyard which i don't really want to put it there.

I've read that they've begun installing FiOS in norfolk but don't know if it is my side or downtown, prolly just downtown. House i am in now is just a starter home really, just a 3 bed 1 bath place not really planning on staying here my whole life or anything, maybe in a couple years i will find a different place with less 50+ year old trees everywhere.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha would be nice, the problem lies across the street from me in my neighbors house, i have 1 tree in my yard that can be worked around but the 2 houses across the street have some big ole trees that encompass the whole southern sky except a tiny spot, on of the 2 houses has a satellite dish in there backyard on a pole but hes able to put it behind all his trees.

·
Cool Member
20 Posts
u coulda asked the tech if he could get reception from a 3lnb dish....it still picks up the hd channels....just not the current and upcoming ones on the 99 and 103 satellite....but usually if u can get 101/110/119 u can get 99/101/103/119..

u can also try a tripod it can extend the dish up to as long as the pole thats placed in the tripod is...but the tech still has to be able to sight it so it cant be too high....a 3lnb dish is a hellova lot easier to sight than a 5lnb

·
Icon
3,499 Posts
I would try to get somone else out there. Cox sucking (my money) cable is not worth its monthly cost,

fios coming to norfolk I don't know about that one yet, the last time I talked to a fios tech they said great bridge chessapeake and more areas in va beach is where there planing next. For the most up to date updates on fios go to verizon.com/va and then click the fttp construction link. If u wanna see fios tv hands on stop by the verizon fios kiosk in lynnhaven mall. We should have the fios tv installed sometime this week, (right now we use the old d* hd tivo).

Good luck with ur d* instal hopefully u get someone good out there and can find that line of sight 4 u.

-enjoy the holidays-

·
Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
One other thing to try, don't flame me please.

Try Dishnetwork, on the east coast they need to see 110, 119 for SD channels and 61.5 for HD channels. Quite possible that could work as 61.5 is a way different direction from the other locations. They have a HD DVR as well as HD Non DVR receivers. Difference is D* needs to see different satellites for core programming. My recollection is that D* is 101? and E* is 119? and I think they both share on 110 and 119.

Around me in NJ cable has been fighting FIOS for TV and now Fios (Verizon) is knocking Cables phone service with adverts such as. I'm paraphrasing, RIng, ring, ring, I sorry the company you were trying to call has cable phone. If they had Verizon Phone service you could have gotten an answer, Verizon 99.99% reliable..... and so on....

Edit: Your installer also may have had no interest in doing the job Christmas Eve too. More or less just came around, looked said tree'd out so he'd look like working and left. Sad to say I've heard those horror stories from both providers. Sometimes you need to escalate it up the ladder to get a good installer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.