DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Cool Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 45 minutes and going through 4 supervisors to get someone who understood my issue and spoke English without an accent, I just discovered that if you don't have a land line connected to your DVR you aren't able to record and then watch any PPV or On Demand that requires payment. That renders the DVR useless for pre-recording PPPV movies.
After 13 years as a customer, I think that it is time to move on.

Anyone else think that this is archaic and hard to swallow?


Joe
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,670 Posts
It's been that way for a long time. As long as you don't have a phone line, you won't be able to order PPV with the remote after the box reaches a predetermined limit without calling home. You can always order via the DirecTV website or, if you have an HR2x, connect the HR2x to the internet via your home network.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
654 Posts
Tr6tr7 said:
After 45 minutes and going through 4 supervisors to get someone who understood my issue and spoke English without an accent, I just discovered that if you don't have a land line connected to your DVR you aren't able to record and then watch any PPV or On Demand that requires payment. That renders the DVR useless for pre-recording PPPV movies.
After 13 years as a customer, I think that it is time to move on.

Anyone else think that this is archaic and hard to swallow?

Joe
Don't get me started. They have pi**ed me off a lot lately with their stupidity.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,992 Posts
My understanding is that if you have a HD DVR and have a network cable hooked to it that it works the same way as the phone line. Do you have a HD DVR and is it networked?
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry Guys but your internet cable does not substitute for a land line.
True you can order the movies on the internet but you will need to watch it at the appointed time, thereby negating the whole purpose of on demand. This only applies to programs that you record and need to be pay for. Non purchase on-demand will work just fine.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,493 Posts
Tr6tr7 said:
Sorry Guys but your internet cable does not substitute for a land line.
True you can order the movies on the internet but you will need to watch it at the appointed time, thereby negating the whole purpose of on demand. This only applies to programs that you record and need to be pay for. Non purchase on-demand will work just fine.
Yes, networked DVR will work instead of a phone line. I've never had my DVR attached to a phone line, and I can order PPV or On Demand PPV with no issues at all.

You might need a CSR to activate the network "Call Home" on you account. (I can't think of the proper term)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,670 Posts
krock918316 said:
Yes, networked DVR will work instead of a phone line. I've never had my DVR attached to a phone line, and I can order PPV or On Demand PPV with no issues at all.

You might need a CSR to activate the network "Call Home" on you account. (I can't think of the proper term)
Same here. While I don't order PPV items often, I tested this feature and was properly billed for and able to watch items requiring payment with only a networked internet connection.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8,035 Posts
Tr6tr7 said:
After 45 minutes and going through 4 supervisors to get someone who understood my issue and spoke English without an accent, I just discovered that if you don't have a land line connected to your DVR you aren't able to record and then watch any PPV or On Demand that requires payment. That renders the DVR useless for pre-recording PPPV movies.
After 13 years as a customer, I think that it is time to move on.

Anyone else think that this is archaic and hard to swallow?

Joe
Not really, considering it's been in your customer/subscriber agreement for, oh, at least 13 years. :rolleyes:
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your missing the issue. Yes you can do as you say but you can't record the PPV movie to watch later. When you bring it up to watch, it allows you to play 5 minutes of it before it freezes and says it looking for authorized content. There's no entry on the left had side that says pay now. It has all of the other entries like play, delete, keep, etc.

Joe
 

· Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
26,472 Posts
Tr6tr7 said:
That renders the DVR useless for pre-recording PPPV movies.
The fact that any recorded PPV movies are automatically deleted within hours makes the entire concept moot.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your right that it has been in my agreement for 13 years but this is 2008 and a lot of homes are going to all cell phone service. And all I am trying to point out don't do it if you want to record a PPV movie to watch later. I would need to pay $35 a month for the land line. And yes, it would allow me to record and watch a movie at any time.
Joe
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I had a land line. a PPV movie recorded on my DVR was good for at least a month and I was not charged until I watched it. They don't delete recorded movies after a few hours that I know of.
Joe
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
6,417 Posts
Tr6tr7 said:
When I had a land line. a PPV movie recorded on my DVR was good for at least a month and I was not charged until I watched it. They don't delete recorded movies after a few hours that I know of.
Joe
They do get deleted after a period of time if not watched; they are deleted 24 hours after you first watch any part of it.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top