DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a message in alt.dbs.echostar that stated that HDTV Magazine said (see how reliable) that starting Monday, Dish Network would be running Discovery HDTV on channel 9443 (the demo channel) from 6pm-6am in the QPSK format (as Discovery originates it). The report on the report went on to say that starting July 1, Discovery would move to its own channel at 9420 and be a 24/7 service. The hear-say continued on to say that it will be a premium channel at $7.99 a month or $96 a year. It also aid that a special add-on module would be needed and that Dish would provide it free starting July 1 with an annual subscription to Discovery HD.

So...the first question: Anyone here get HDTV Magazine and is the story actually in the magazine?

Next: I wonder if the story is actually correct.

and lastly: What is the deal with QPSK v. 8VSB for HDTV? I thought that fight was settled on 8VSB.

For those that want to see the original message, run a search on google.groups.

Poster's name: Paul Terrimayer.
Message Header: HDTV Magazine reports Discovery HD starts Monday. News here.
Posted at 8:20pm 6/15/02

See ya
Tony

-----
I guess I should have read the HDTV/Broadcast. forum before posting this. There is an open thread there. Mods, feel free to close this thread. No need to duplicate.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,117 Posts
I'm sorry but $8 seems a little high. I think they should knock off at least $3. I enjoy Discovery, but that's a little pathetic.

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
You know what agrivates me...

I was told this information by the same person who told me that Discovery HD was going to replace the HD PPV Channels.

Because that tip did not amount to much I held back on this news as I didnt want to pass antother bad rumor. :(

I actually emailed another user on Thursday or Friday (I believe it was JohnH) telling him what I heard and that I decided not to post it publicly.

Sorry about that folks. It was a catch 22 situation. :(

·
Icon
708 Posts
I wonder then if E* will give us all 8PSK mods eventually. The OTA 8PSK for the 6000 sells for $149 currently and then what are there plans for 5000 users with QSPK mods... and the other loaded question... does this mean that the 6000 will no longer be able to down convert HD to S-Vid?

G

·
8 dollars might seem high but I for one am glad at least that they didnt do it certain other ways like for example saying you'll get it, and it's free.. but only if you sub to AT 150. I know alot of HD users that dont want that package including myself and for me AT 150 would cost another 18 a month over AT 50. AT 50 is more than enough for my SD needs as I only care to watch 3 or 4 SD channels on DBS as it is.

Regardless, thanks much Charlie for putting the channel up there to begin with! Price doesnt even come into play if it's not even being offered.

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
what are there plans for 5000 users with QSPK mods
In a DBStalk.COM exclusive we announced back in Early May that the 5000 would begin going obsolete later on this year. (i.e. there will be no QSPK module for the 5000)

You can read more about it here including comments from Echostar Spokesperson Marc Lumpkin. http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3537

does this mean that the 6000 will no longer be able to down convert HD to S-Vid?
Your 6000 will work as it does now the only difference is that some HD Channel will change the way they transmit (so that Dish can have more channels per transponder), in order to receive these new transmissions your 6000 will need the module to receive them with.

Your 6000 will continue to downconvert to S-VIDEO or whatever format your TV can handle.

Hope that helps!

·
Icon
708 Posts
Do you think E* will upgrade 5000 owners with QPSK HD mods to 6000's? or SOL... people with digital tape recorders are already going to be ticked as it is...

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Remember the 5000 was never designed to be setup so that you could record from it. The 5000 owners really have no reason to complain as they will still have all the same channels they have today.

If they want Discovery HD they will need to upgrade their receivers. If they don't and like the current HD channels then they need to sit back and do nothing. It's that simple.

·
Icon
955 Posts
Originally posted by Marcus S
I wonder then if E* will give us all 8PSK mods eventually. The OTA 8PSK for the 6000 sells for $149 currently and then what are there plans for 5000 users with QSPK mods... and the other loaded question... does this mean that the 6000 will no longer be able to down convert HD to S-Vid?
Marcus, I think you are confusing the OTA 8VSB tuner module ($149) with the 8PSK HD adaptor module ($49).

8VSB is the OTA ATSC standard and is likely to remain so for the foreseeable future. The 8PSK "enhancement" is for DBS HD.

Note that it is being offered for free with subscription to Discovery HD Theater. I suspect there will be ongoing similar promotions for 6000 customers that will need it.

;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.