Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOTE THIS IS ONLY A RUMOR - IT HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED

I have received word from one of my contacts that tonight on the Charlie Chat it will be announced that Discovery Theater HD will be carried on Dish Network, although it appears the channel will not be up at launch, instead they are looking at a July 1st timeframe

This contact tells me that Discovry HD will REPLACE the HD PPV Channel.

He also mentioned that the idea to drop the HD PPV channel was due to the fact of Copyright concerns that Dish Network has been unable to obtain new films to air on it in months. (They have been airing the Snoop Doggy Dog movie for over 2 months now) so this logic sound correct to me.

It also make sense to do this because both 148 and 61.5 get the HD PPV Channel and all the HD equipment is already in place. Its basicly a job of changing HD player out with a satellite reciever to pick up the Discovery HD signal. :)

Again this is NOT CONFIRMED, however if it is true remember
YOU HEARD IT FIRST HERE ON DBSTALK.COM!! :D

·
Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
I was wondering if you were going to break this before the chat tonight, Scott. :D Here's hoping it's a rumor that gets confirmed tonight! We want our DiscoveryHD!

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well if you saw the chat tonight, you see why I posted it as a Rumor. :D

Charlie says that Discovery HD will be a PAY SUBSCRIPTION channel, and should be on Dish Network by the FALL!

UGG!

·
Welcome to Torchwood
1,602 Posts
Gee that really furthers the cause of HDTV.

Here's a question, how much would you be willing to pay for a channel that will, for now have limited content (expect to see programs recycled alot until larger library is amassed).

I'd vote for $1 per month.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,637 Posts
Pay sucks! Although I watch the Discovery channel a lot, I wouldn't pay more than $2/month additional for it.

I hope nobody subscribes to it if it is more.

·
Godfather/Supporter
281 Posts
I think it will cost 2.99 per month. I also think that if the merger will be approved, all channels that only E* has will cost $.

·
Legend
101 Posts
Charlie probably figures (and rightfully so) that anyone who has shelled out $$$$ for HDTV equipment will probably shell out $ for programming to watch on it.

G

·
Well all I know is he's been saying for 2 years that whenever HD programming becomes available, he'll carry it. Well, here's his chance to walk the walk. Theres no red tape like there is trying to carry Network HD, no exclusives like HDNet and it's not a case of limited content like ASCN. This is a channel that most all HD viewers want, and that all qualify for. Get it done Charlie!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,660 Posts
A few days ago I read a news release that indicated that the Discovery HD channel was going to be marketed as a premium service and it was going to be up to the individual providers on how much. I wish I could remember where I read this report at? It appears that the idea of DiscoveryHD being a premium service and not a basic is the Discovery channels idea and not E*.

·
Welcome to Torchwood
1,602 Posts
How much would you pay for eye candy? You can bet that the programming will make it to the regular Discovery channels as well (down resed of course).

All we get is higher resolution. Should we be force to pay a premium for this? After all, I get lots of HD content from CBS and ABC for free (ala commercials).

More than 1 or 2 bucks is about the limit if they want to get more penetration for HDTV by the 2006 cutover date.

And I still have to fork over $150 for that damn SW64 switch!

·
Legend
101 Posts
Discovery HD Theater(TM) will present programming covering the full-range of the company's real-world entertainment categories with limited commercial interruptions. Shows which are less than 30 minutes in length will have no commercial break but they will be preceded and followed by commercial messages from the channel's presenting sponsors.

Shows longer than 30 minutes will contain intermissions. Discovery will offer its advertisers the unique opportunity to provide commercial messages with compelling high-definition clarity.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,637 Posts
Apparently the commercials will be at the beginning and end or there will be a small intermission on longer shows.

See this link and go to the box at the very bottom of the page.

I can live with this. When I was stationed in Germany back in the 70's, German TV did this and it was quite acceptable (but then they had nude commercials!)

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is a paragraph from that article that bugs me.

Subscribers will pay a subscription fee for the service, but, again, Discovery wouldn't elaborate on pricing other than to say it will be negotiated with each operator. "Some operators look at HD as a defensive strategy, and others look at it offensively," explained Clint Stinchcomb, Discovery's VP of new media.
I dont mind paying a few bucks for a quality HD channel, but why should I pay for a HD Channel that has commercials and also will have the stupid corner logo?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.