DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can find the discrete hex codes for letter entry on D* search fields. Specifically it's for a HR23, but I imagine the codes would be the same for all of the machines made by/for D*. I know there aren't any remotes that currently have the buttons for these codes, but typically when they program the chips for these they build in the codes for possible future use. If I could find the hex codes for the functions, I could program them into my remote to make searching much quicker.

Talking to D* "technical support" was useless (and frustrating) since they either didn't understand my question or were not allowed to simply say "we're not allowed to give out that information". They tried to tell me that there are no hex codes for any function. (It must just be magic! :))

·
Premium Member
25,276 Posts
"dlmax63" said:
Does anyone know where I can find the discrete hex codes for letter entry on D* search fields. Specifically it's for a HR23, but I imagine the codes would be the same for all of the machines made by/for D*. I know there aren't any remotes that currently have the buttons for these codes, but typically when they program the chips for these they build in the codes for possible future use. If I could find the hex codes for the functions, I could program them into my remote to make searching much quicker.

Talking to D* "technical support" was useless (and frustrating) since they either didn't understand my question or were not allowed to simply say "we're not allowed to give out that information". They tried to tell me that there are no hex codes for any function. (It must just be magic! :))
You could program macros and have each letter send the proper number the proper amount of times if you can't find a descrete code.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,401 Posts
Since all commands are one byte according to the Russound protocol that DirecTV uses, there are 256 possible codes. I've tried them all, and none are letters. So the codes you seek simply do not exist. I don't recommend a brute force code search because some codes do very bad things.

A CSR will neither understand your question nor have access to any hex codes.

I would recommend the macro approach mentioned earlier, but I have yet to see any DirecTV DVR respond reliably enough to make it bullet-proof.

·
Premium Member
25,276 Posts
"dlmax63" said:

B the way, Go to the tips and tricks info thread that I have linked in my sig, and in that thread there is a link to the documents on sireal controls, so maybe check there. I had almost forgotten about that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.