DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· AllStar
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a chance to put in a plumb pole in cement for single sat 72.7. I am using a dish 500 with a single lnb in the 119 slot. I have good results and am getting 6 -7 degree higher than the single dish 300 that I had in the same spot ( non cemented). Signals are now in the high 50's to low 60's which is good for my area. I wanted to set the skew at 92 ( which is 1000.4) but the interesting thing was that after I set my az and elevation, I would rotate the skew around 25 degrees and noticed the signal strengths increased. There was a point in the rotation where there was no gain. Does anyone know why this happened? Thanks

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
dontech said:
I finally got a chance to put in a plumb pole in cement for single sat 72.7. I am using a dish 500 with a single lnb in the 119 slot. I have good results and am getting 6 -7 degree higher than the single dish 300 that I had in the same spot ( non cemented). Signals are now in the high 50's to low 60's which is good for my area. I wanted to set the skew at 92 ( which is 1000.4) but the interesting thing was that after I set my az and elevation, I would rotate the skew around 25 degrees and noticed the signal strengths increased. There was a point in the rotation where there was no gain. Does anyone know why this happened? Thanks
Skew is only important if you are looking at multiple satellites it helps correct for the multiple locations. Using the "Y" yoke you are offsetting the LNB location so skew may make a slight difference if you are metering the movement. You should really use the "I" adapter and put your LNB at the center of the dish focal point, to use the 20" dish 500 at full potential.:)

· Mr. FixAnything
27,986 Posts
dontech said:
it's happen because your initial aiming wasn't precise

skew angle doesn't matter for you; just replace Y to I yoke and make final adjustment

· AllStar
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone -- I will replace the Y with and I and see if this helps. I have single dishes for 61.5 and 72.7 right now with no dish for 77 since locals are not yet on 77. My line of site is restricted for a 1000.4 dish because of the trees. Could my skew issue be related to the position of the pole in the ground and I am compensating for a narrow line of site?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.