DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in the Cincinnati DMA with locals package may be interested to know that WCVN channel 54 (KET/PBS) is now available in the Cincinnati locals package. It is coming from the 61.5° satellite transponder 8. If you have the Cincinnati locals package, don't have a dish pointed at 61.5 and would like to get one installed FREE, call Dish at 1-800-333-DISH. While you're at it, ask them WHY DirecTV has WBQC-CA (UPN) and Dish doesn't when the owner of the station offered to buy, install and service the necessary equipment to get the channel to the Dish POP!!!!!

Anyway...thought you'd all like to know.

See ya
Tony

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I talked to the station manager in Oxford just before the high school sectional swim meet at Miami University a few months back. I was told that they needed to raise the money for the fiber required to get the signal to Dish. After they get the money then it takes a month or two to run the line. They expected to have the cash in the budget by April or May. So...if the schedule holds.....it should be popping up in a short while.

See ya
Tony

·
Hall Of Fame
1,117 Posts
I know somebody at DBS Forums wanted WEAO in his Cincinnati locals, but isn't that the Cleveland All News Channel affiliate?

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WEAO is an Akron PBS affiliate (Cleveland DMA). WMFD? from Mansfield (still Cleaveland DMA) is the all news channel you're thinking of.

If I read that post correctly he was saying that it gave him hope that WEAO would be added to the Cleveland locals since a secondary PBS channel was added to the Cincinnati locals.

BTW... a geography lesson for some. Downtown Covington, KY is about 500 yards away from Cincinnati's Downtown. The transmittion towers are less than 5 miles apart. It was INEXCUSABLE that Dish dragged its feet on this channel!

I'll give them slack on WBQC --UPN-- (a Low power channel--though DirecTV carries it!!!! Ain't no reason other than a lousy business decision not to carry it), WPTO a weak station out of Oxford 40 miles north on the Indiana border) and WKOI (Richmond Indiana--a fur peice from Cincinnati--and a full time repeater of TBN). But WCVN should have been part of the Cincinnati locals since day one of the SHVIA!

See ya
Tony

·
Hall Of Fame
1,117 Posts
Okay. Thanks for clearing that up Tony. Hopefully, Indianapolis locals will gain WB 4, WIPB PBS, and WTIU PBS. I can dream can't I?

·
Legend
181 Posts
I'm thinking Directv is carrying this WBQC station because they can put it on spotbeam. Dish Net. is currently using Conus space for Cincy. Directv might have had space for another station for Cincinatti.

Plus, Directv doesnt offer superstations. Dish may offer UPN via superstation to customers while Directv has decided not to do supers. Interesting to see if WBQC could request syndex protection someday.

Neither Directv or Dish Network seemed to be willing to work with Entravision to carry WMDO 30 Washington's Univision affiliate. Although LP, it has a local newscast, and is more established than Philly's Univision WUVP which is fairly new. In fact, Directv tried not to carry WJAL 68 recently acquired by Entravision. I think Directv and Entravision should settle that WMDO gets carried, leave WJAL 68 to Hagerstown.

Comcast carries WMDO in both D.C. and now Baltimore markets via cable. This Low power station gets in more cable homes than some full power channels!

·
DBSTalk E* Spot Beam Guru
443 Posts
Hey Tony, have you ever eaten dinner on the barge in the river in Covington? When I told the waitress that I wanted in the smoking section she said "This is Kentucky, we have no laws" :D

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are several of those restaurants here. Mike Finks, Barleycorns, Hooters and others. I go to Hooters before some Reds games. There is a passanger ferry from the restaurant dock to Riverfront Stadium (I'll call it Cinergy after I'm DEAD) before, during and after the games. It used to be free with a restaurant receipt, but now it's a few bucks. There's also the real riverboat dinner cruises (BB Riverboars and Showboat Majestic).

I've been on several of them. Kentucky "has laws" now. But they're not as restrictive as Ohio's.

The interstate rivalry continues. When I used to work in Florence, Ky at a Cincinnati based chain, people would drive to Lexington store (70 miles to the south) than to the Cincinnati Warehouse 15 miles to the north to get merchandise. I kept telling them that Ohio never checked for shoes at the bridge. :)

See ya
Tony

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CVG is in Boone County Ky just north of Florence and south of Erlanger. When it was built, there was NOTHING out there. Now it's a very developed area. CVG (Covington....really the Greater Cincinnati/Northern Ky Airport is the real name of the place) is 15 minutes from Downtown.

Lunken Airport (the old airport) is at the mouth of the Little Miami River at the Ohio (on the Ohio side--15 minutes up river from down town). The airport is in a 400 foot deep, mile wide valley. It grew to as big as it could get. If Cinti. wanted a bigger airport it had to find either a lot of open space near the city, or buldoze Mt. Lookout or Mt. Washington. Since the second options weren't very practical, a large plot of land was bought near down town. Since most of Hamilton County was developed or just as hilly as the original airport site, the land was bought in the VERY rural Boone County where the circle freeway would soon be built and near the relatively new Interstate 75. So the first thing you see as you leave the Cincinnati airport is a "Welcome to Kentucky" sign! :)

See ya
Tony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.