DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
3,474 Posts
It seems unlikely, since Dish used so much of its 2006 advertising promoting NFL Network, and since Dish gave NFL what it really wanted -- a spot on the most basic tier. Considering those factors, I would expect that Dish's contract for the NFL Network would be relatively long-term.

· Hall Of Fame
8,778 Posts
HDMe said:
Will there be anything on the NFL Network after the NFL season ends? This will be the first time the 24 hour channel has had their HD channel up during the off-season. I can't imagine too much compelling program from say Feb to June.
Maybe it'll turn into the "Classic NFL Network" during that time showing old games from years past. :D

· Icon
917 Posts
NFL Channel will be doing everything possible to stay on any satellite or cable service now carrying them. They're having a very hard time getting on local cable systems. Audience for their Thursday and Saturday games has been a fraction of Sunday and Monday games because most households can't get the channel.

· Godfather
344 Posts
BillJ said:
NFL Channel will be doing everything possible to stay on any satellite or cable service now carrying them. They're having a very hard time getting on local cable systems. Audience for their Thursday and Saturday games has been a fraction of Sunday and Monday games because most households can't get the channel.
That is true. But in the areas that don't have NFL network on cable they were putting the game on a network station. I know this because my dad lives in the Tampa area and Bright house doesn't carry NFL network. The Thursday night games were carried by the local ABC affiliate there.

· Hall Of Fame
7,802 Posts
kf4omc said:
That is true. But in the areas that don't have NFL network on cable they were putting the game on a network station. I know this because my dad lives in the Tampa area and Bright house doesn't carry NFL network. The Thursday night games were carried by the local ABC affiliate there.
The NFL Network does that in the markets of the participating teams in the game on the particular day whether the local cable carries the Network or not.

· Godfather
268 Posts
theratpatrol said:
Maybe it'll turn into the "Classic NFL Network" during that time showing old games from years past. :D
NFL Films has been shooting every NFL game on 35MM film for like 30 years, they have in the last year or so finished digitizing it, so I would love to see replays of classic games in HD with nothing more than the sideline/huddle chatter, croud noise, PA announcer and of course the bone crunching hits serving as the sound track...that would be SOOOOOO cool.

· Legend
230 Posts
tacomahunter said:
I have heard that DISH will be losing the NFL channel after this season is over? Is this true? Please say it is not so!
Here's hoping NFL channel takes a hard look at itself, its content and all it can do to improve before the 2007 season.

· Hall Of Fame
3,193 Posts
kf4omc said:
You say "games" (plural), have you ever seen more than one NFL Network game on the same Tampa OTA station? Unless the Bucs played in 2 NFL Network games, I'm willing to bet that there was only one game aired.

The reson the games were OTA had nothing to do with lack of cable carriage. The OTA games fall under the same rule that brough you ESPN Sunday (now Monday) night games OTA - Just in the 2 "home" markets of the teams playing.

For example when the Browns played the Steelers the games were carried on WJW in Cleveland and KDKA in Pittsburgh. They were not carried OTA on any Youngstown station despite the fact that that market lies in the overlap of both teams.

· Cool Member
29 Posts
Paul Secic said:
Arena Football League is part of the NFL. Maybe it'll be on.
Arena Football has nothing to do with the NFL. Minority ownership of the AFL was purchased by ESPN recently, they will be airing games and packaging them under the "Monday Night Football" banner, as well as their championship game. OLN and regional FSN's also carry games. NBC no longer covers the AFL.

As far as people wondering how NFL Network will sustain itself in the offseason, you must remember that since the network made its debut in November of 2003, and has provided an HD feed since August of 2004, they already have been through 3 offseasons. NFLFilms has such a library of video, they could get by just on that, but they also have coverage of the training combines, spring practices, draft coverage, news and other features...and once training camps open in July, its back to buisness.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.