DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering Dish and spend many weekends in the fall at a vacation home owned by my parents in Florida. Will it work if I have a satellite dish installed at the second home (but with no box or service) and take my box from my primary home with me when I take the family down there? If it works, is it allowed according to Dish?

·
Super Moderator
53,902 Posts
boba said:
Search for posts on DISH audit team or DISH NAZIS.
That search would be more fitting for a person who LEAVES a receiver at a second home. :D

Dish expects the equipment to be installed AT the service address you have given them. Some people have been able to get away with moving a receiver around ... taking it to a tailgate or to a cabin ... or taking it to a second home. It is against the terms of service and E* could terminate your service for this action.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,580 Posts
You won't be home to receive the call from the audit department. Take the reciever with you and bring it back when you're done. It may be against the terms of service, but as long as you don't leave it for others to use, you shouldn't get into any trouble.

·
Icon
1,029 Posts
I would agree with MikeW. Take the receiver with you and bring it home. If the audit team calls, you won't be home to take the call anyway. When at home, it is best to have all of your receivers connected to the phone line. Audit team seems to call people with multiple receivers where few are connected to the phone line. Per the Audit Team thread, it seemed that all the Audit team calls were on week days. It would be nice to not have to haul the receiver back and forth for your own vacation home but I can understand why they have the policy.

..Doyle

·
Hall Of Fame
3,474 Posts
To summarize, for a single account:

Two receivers watched simultaneously at two different addresses = Very Bad
One receiver moved between two different addresses = Okay

Theoretically, you could call to change your service address every time you moved your receiver.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,192 Posts
FTA Michael said:

Theoretically, you could call to change your service address every time you moved your receiver.
And that would be a very good thing as then you could watch the local stations available at the vacation home. You would not be abnle to watch your home locals unless your vacation home falls under the same spotbeam as your home locals.

One other consideration - don't move a DVR! Excessive movement will damage the hard drive. Get a cheap non-DVR receiver to move around.

·
Legend
171 Posts
Michael P said:
And that would be a very good thing as then you could watch the local stations available at the vacation home. You would not be abnle to watch your home locals unless your vacation home falls under the same spotbeam as your home locals.

One other consideration - don't move a DVR! Excessive movement will damage the hard drive. Get a cheap non-DVR receiver to move around.
Yes you could watch Atlanta if the Fla. home is in the Atlanta spot, otherwise you would need to change your "Service Address" to get the Fla. locals.

I moved my 510 DVR about 90,000 miles in7 years with no problem, thats all 49 states I can drive to and a lot of Canada. The paltter is "Parked" when the power is removed compleatly.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,497 Posts
maineengineer said:
To the best of knowledge and belief, the Chief Executive Officer of Dish Network has publicly stated that he moves his own receiver as you propose, so presumably it should not be an issue for you.
This argument has one really big hole in it: it assumes that Charlie Ergen is subject to the residential agreement. This is unlikely.

It is also questionable because the statement was made several residential agreements ago. You would have to provide the pertinent text of the residential agreement in effect at the time of his statement in order for the argument to hold any water.

·
Banned
614 Posts
Blues said:
I'm considering Dish and spend many weekends in the fall at a vacation home owned by my parents in Florida. Will it work if I have a satellite dish installed at the second home (but with no box or service) and take my box from my primary home with me when I take the family down there? If it works, is it allowed according to Dish?
Dish network can't tell geographically where your receiver is located. What you get for locals is based on the address that you report to them. So if in Florida your able to get a signal on the satellites, this means yes you can get your Atlanta locals in Florida or vice versa. It all hangs on what you report your physical address as.

·
Legend
233 Posts
FTA Michael said:

Why is option 1 very bad? You don't get service unless you subscribe. E* has to know which receivers you are using. You are paying for two receivers. You can only get one set of locals at a given time. Help me understand.

·
Banned
614 Posts
BobS said:
Why is option 1 very bad? You don't get service unless you subscribe. E* has to know which receivers you are using. You are paying for two receivers. You can only get one set of locals at a given time. Help me understand.
Local networks and the FCC are the culprits to the debate. I personally want Boston locals for Springfield Massachusetts, however my Springfield local networks prohibit DirecTV to allow me to get Boston locals despite the fact that Worcester gets them, and they are only 30 miles away from Springfield. So the FCC mandates these rules based on your zip code. My local Springfield affiliates stink out lowed. There is nothing I can do, other then to be dishonest on my physical address. Which is risky.

·
Super Moderator
53,902 Posts
BobS said:
E*'s subscription is one location per service. It is against their rules (with or without locals and distants) to have your receivers in different locations. The rule is there to stop me from getting dish and then giving my mom a receiver for $5 per month. $5 is a lot less than it would cost her for her own package. E* is losing money any time someone "stacks" an account like that.

There is NO PLACE within E*'s rules to leave active receivers on the same account in different homes.

·
Banned
614 Posts
James Long said:
E*'s subscription is one location per service. It is against their rules (with or without locals and distants) to have your receivers in different locations. The rule is there to stop me from getting dish and then giving my mom a receiver for $5 per month. $5 is a lot less than it would cost her for her own package. E* is losing money any time someone "stacks" an account like that.

There is NO PLACE within E*'s rules to leave active receivers on the same account in different homes.
If you get caught you sacrifice your account. It's clearly an oversight that it's not spelled out in the rules. Dish doesn't want relatives buying many receivers to hand out to relatives for evading the subscription.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,192 Posts
James Long said:

...which is why there is a phone line requirement for multiple receiver accounts.
If you think E* doesn't care check out the "Audit Team" thread.

·
3 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
Dish network can't tell geographically where your receiver is located. What you get for locals is based on the address that you report to them. So if in Florida your able to get a signal on the satellites, this means yes you can get your Atlanta locals in Florida or vice versa. It all hangs on what you report your physical address as.
From what I understand you have to be in the same spotbeam for your locals and I think it is very unlikely that Atlanta is in the same spotbeam than any part of Florida, so no you won't be able to watch the Atlanta locals when you take the receiver to FL. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Icon
538 Posts
Jojo55 said:
From what I understand you have to be in the same spotbeam for your locals and I think it is very unlikely that Atlanta is in the same spotbeam than any part of Florida, so no you won't be able to watch the Atlanta locals when you take the receiver to FL. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The big-4 from Atlanta are still on ConUS.

·
1 Posts
I need help w/a variation on this.

We signed up for DISH in 2000, at our cabin. The installer told us that we could add our regular home for $5/month. Before anyone rags on me, at that time, DISH allowed it, w/the reasoning that you can't be in 2 places at one time. I am willing to pay $5/month to have TV at the cabin. I was not willing to pay for the $48/mo that Comcast wanted, for cable at the cabin.

Fast forward to 2006. This summer, our "friends" at the audit team called the cabin ONCE, and reached the answering machine. The machine is garbage, and I couldn't understand what the DISH person said, so I assumed it was an upsell call.

Then, 2 weeks later, we come home from vacation, to find our home Dish is disconnected. My husband calls and learns about the problem. They force him to set up the second account, and they promise that all we have to do is call for "Dish pauses" when we go to the second home, to activate the alernate account. They promise the total price will remain the same.

Begrudgingly, we agree to this. Each time we do the "Dish pause" it takes at least 20 mins and sometimes a second call (and have been w/o service for an hour each way), to get this straightened out. Then, we have to do the same thing when we return home 2 days later. And, each time, they forget to add part of our service, like the local stations.

Then, we get the first bill, for the second location. They charged us $7 for our top 60, $7 for our local channels, $5 for the "Dish pause" and $2.37 for the pro-rated month of service. And our home bill is the same as it always is (not discounted, except part of the pro-rated services). He reaches a lady who sounds like she is in India, and there is a real communication problem. He had to ask to speak to a supervisor, who finally straightened out most of it.

I cannot do this every 2-4 weeks. It wastes 1-2 hours of our time each weekend.

This weekend, we brought up our home receiver, and voila, it works w/o all the Dish phone calls. We have all of our programming.

In reading the DBStalk boards, I am tempted to do this every time. Then I don't have to waste the time to pause it. I wouldn't do this if they hadn't screwed it up everytime thus far, and then screwed up the billing.

Now, before anyone rags on me, I am paying fully for the service on both accounts. I am not cheating E* out of anything. I would just not be letting them cheat me out of 1-2 hours of my time.

I appreciate your thoughts. In addition, should I take the other receiver home in case of an equipment audit? Will they activate the second receiver at the primary home? Both are 301 receivers. We are entitled to 4 receivers in that house, and up to this point have only had one.

None of these are hooked to phone lines. The power off at night, only updates the software, correct? It doesn't audit the equipment?

My only other concern is the pause expiration after 6 months.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.